Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Is there demand for MIDI files?

Is there demand for MIDI files?

Clarence Simpson
permalink   Wed, Dec 15, 2010 @ 8:45 AM
I’ve been wondering how much demand there is for MIDI files alongside full mixes and audio stems.

All of my original music (with the exception of the guitar parts) I record in MIDI. However, up until yesterday I’ve never posted MIDI files along with my uploads. But when I did, rocavaco almost immediately posted a remix of my Auld Lang Syne using a completely different set of instruments. And of course, that kind of thing is only possible with MIDI source material.

So, does anybody else want or even prefer MIDI source?

I would have happily posted MIDI files with all my uploads but I had perhaps wrongly assumed that nobody cared about having the MIDI source.
Sturzstrom
permalink   Wed, Dec 15, 2010 @ 1:27 PM
Quote: Clarence SimpsonI’ve been wondering how much demand there is for MIDI files alongside full mixes and audio stems.

All of my original music (with the exception of the guitar parts) I record in MIDI. However, up until yesterday I’ve never posted MIDI files along with my uploads. But when I did, rocavaco almost immediately posted a remix of my Auld Lang Syne using a completely different set of instruments. And of course, that kind of thing is only possible with MIDI source material.

So, does anybody else want or even prefer MIDI source?

I would have happily posted MIDI files with all my uploads but I had perhaps wrongly assumed that nobody cared about having the MIDI source.

Personally i would love some.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Wed, Dec 15, 2010 @ 1:28 PM
I like both. Sometimes the sounds the source artist has are better than what you can produce, so the mp3 is what you use.

Sometimes you hear a part, and know you’ve got a most excellent VSTi or Soundfont for it… which means you’ve either got to try and re-play the part they did, or live with what there is. Plus if you have MIDI, you can change the part, so that if you switch from 6/8 to hard 4/4, you can move the notes around a little to fit better. Harder to do with a wave file, if there is natural resonance or reverberation.

The more source there is, the merrier.
annabloom
permalink   Wed, Mar 30, 2011 @ 1:42 PM
yes, the midi source would be greatly appreciated
ScOmBer
permalink   Sun, Apr 3, 2011 @ 9:29 PM
More MIDI please. Its all about choice and midi allows this freedom.
For me the greatest freedom with midi apart from being able to substitute instruments is being able to change the pitch lots without getting weird artifacts.