Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Parts Wanted » ccMixing the Legend of Zelda

ccMixing the Legend of Zelda

MW
permalink   Mon, Dec 21, 2009 @ 8:12 PM
Hello CCMixter. I’m a long time listener and first time caller. I came due to the ferment in field over copyright. I stayed for the good music.

It might be bad business practice for a newbie to come bursting in and asking for dire help, but “nothing tried; nothing gained,” right?

Some of you might be aware of OCRemix. It’s become known as being a grand repertoire of video game music arrangements. However behind the scenes, the artists there are struggling with ever-increasing standards for what is or isn’t good for a proper release. A lot of fairly good remix album projects get started only for the self-imposed bureaucracy to come crashing down. That’s where a producer like me comes in. I offer new webspace to those who are talented, but can’t/won’t gain OCR approval.

My first experiment in this sort of project has been widely successful. It involved remixing the entire 56 track soundtrack to the Gameboy game The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages. Even from the WIPs alone, we’re about 48 arrangements in, and we’re looking at release in February 2010. ( sample track)

However, since I am such a big fan of CCMixter and Creative Commons music, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in the sample/cut-up/share approach for one single track that has yet to be remixed. This one track was arranged at first, but the remixer supposedly vanished from the face of the internet. If it doesn’t get remixed again soon, it will not be in the release. You can find a MIDI of it at vgmusic.com.

If the mixer does not use any fragments from the original game audio, we’ll grant it exemption from the copyright notice and it will be provided under creative commons. If anyone direly needs specific sound samples, I can apply soundfonts to the original MIDI.
victor
permalink   Tue, Dec 22, 2009 @ 3:38 AM
hey, long time fan likewise.

I guess I’m a little confused by what you’re looking for - you want remixes of the Zelda track (?) The sources are copyright so any remixes are, strictly speaking, not legit (?) You’re OK if the ‘remix’ doesn’t include sources from the Zelda track (???)

permalink   MW Tue, Dec 22, 2009 @ 2:05 PM
Indeed remixing has always been an odd bag when it comes to copyright (even the companies themselves aren’t sure if remixing is either infringement or a form of flattery), but if a mix is created without using the exact Gameboy audio as a sound sample then it can be considered for Creative Commons.

Since it is an arrangement, the musical score does not need to be 100% accurate. It only needs similar elements to the song in question to be considered for the album.

And if it turns out those arguments won’t support Creative Commons, then the mix itself can merely be in vein of the CCMixter style.
Darkangel
permalink   Sun, Jan 24, 2010 @ 8:16 AM
ill take a shot at it if your still looking for some versions of it,,iam pretty good at remixing game songs,,and i know of that site that you speak of,,your right it is not easy to become part of there team :P