Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Open source musical

Open source musical

jadewood
permalink   Thu, Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:49 PM
Some interesting points for me here because I’m in the process of creating (what I think to be) the world’s first opensource musical.

I’m looking for technology to support collaborative composition where once we give breifs on the songs we’re thinking of, contributors submit their starts or build upon the work of others.

Would this sort of thing be welcome here? Are there any more comments, pros and cons on how ccMixter might work in this situation?

One of the things I need to address is that I want people be able to share the session files.. perhaps people can share these via a magnet link and people can torrent the session files..

Looking forward to your comments.

Jade.
www.opensourcemusical.com
spinmeister
permalink   Fri, Nov 20, 2009 @ 1:09 AM
… just curious, what do you mean by “session files”. Are you implying the use of a specific DAW platform? If yes, that would be a pretty limiting qualifying condition, because people here use pretty much every DAW under the sun.

permalink   jadewood Fri, Nov 20, 2009 @ 10:44 PM
Quote: spinmeister… just curious, what do you mean by “session files”. Are you implying the use of a specific DAW platform? If yes, that would be a pretty limiting qualifying condition, because people here use pretty much every DAW under the sun.

Yes that’s one of the issues that we have to work through. While having a whole load of wav/aiff files means more people can use it, it also limits the use of what can be done. ie adding a simple reverb to a track would require you to create a whole track for reverb rather than just being able to adjust the reverb in the chosen system.

It’s a tough one.. If only there was some kind of standard..

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Nov 20, 2009 @ 11:24 PM
I’m not sure what you’re really envisioning, but even if two music makers have the exact same version of the same DAW, it’s very likely that they use different sets of plugins. If you kill that idea, you kill a big part of the creative potential, because modern composition and recording is very hard to decouple from the particular tools music makers use.

It would be kind of like making all guitar players only play a stock 72 Stratocaster through a 65 Fender Twin Reverb and no stomp boxes allowed! :-)

permalink   jadewood Sat, Nov 21, 2009 @ 6:05 PM
Good point. Hmm. I guess there’s arguments for mixes and things like that. It just gets so complicated!

Maybe you’re right. I just wish there was something better to unite DAW for collaborations..
victor
permalink   Fri, Nov 20, 2009 @ 1:23 AM
hey jade - we don’t support magnet/torrents right now but it’s on our wish-to-do list.

This site is a little different than most music communities in that we don’t really do explicit collaborations all that much. The way it works is that you dump the pieces of your music (samples, stems, a cappellas) into a pool of samples (aka the Commons) and, over time, musicians who get inspired by them, use those samples in their own creations.

Everything else builds from there - as long as you don’t inhibit the scenario I outline above. So, if you need music for use in a specific project by a specific date (say, the performance of a musical) you can certainly do a “call for remixes” but understand that your music will be going into the Creative Commons pool (essentially forever).

permalink   jadewood Fri, Nov 20, 2009 @ 11:00 PM
As to the magnet links, the way I understand it is that it’s just a url ie: href=”magnet:?xt=urn:btih:079fe420a0b65060044cc324a4e30a7089806458&dn=Jesse+McCartney+feat.+T-Pain+-+Body+Language&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%2Fannounce”

So that shouldn’t be too hard to add into some description at least for now.

As to music being in the pool for creative commons - that’s fine by me, it is an ‘opensource’ musical after all.

It seems like it could work - but if it’s not quite what this is sites about and you’d rather not an extra 1000 (or so that’s what we’re predicting) people using for this purpose, then perhaps we could install ccMixter on our own servers, I think I saw somewhere that ccMixter is opensource. I could also contribute my own plugins/patches/hacks for the torrent stuff

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Nov 21, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
Doesn’t Indaba support this type of collaborative work?

permalink   victor Sat, Nov 21, 2009 @ 11:59 AM
nah - they do smaller, real time collabs really well, 4 - 5 people, not 1,000.

ccMixter runs on ccHost - let me know if you have an issues/questions on install or operation (I wrote it)

permalink   jadewood Sat, Nov 21, 2009 @ 8:25 PM
Will do. So you recommend this route over just using ccmixter.org?

The other argument for using what’s here already is that we’ve got the ability to involve the members that we have here much easier..

permalink   jadewood Sun, Nov 22, 2009 @ 1:18 PM
Quote: fourstones

ccMixter runs on ccHost - let me know if you have an issues/questions on install or operation (I wrote it)

Where is the config data for the access logs located? I think I’ve put in an incorrect value but I can’t see where to update it.

J

permalink   victor Sun, Nov 22, 2009 @ 2:14 PM
ah, sorry for not responding earlier to your first question: I am not recommending anything specific because I don’t know the particulars of your situation.

The fact is, installing and running a ccHost site is serious commitment and requires a deep commitment of resources, coding, designing, admin’ing etc. Now, whatever the numbers are in your head right now after reading that, manpower, hours, etc. - triple it. If you’re still cool, let’s proceed:

For ccHost issues, you should join the ccHost dev mailing list - that’s where I, and other ccHost developers can best help you out.

Just a note: when you report an issue or question, please have very specific details about what steps you took to get you jammed up and the exact verbiage you see on in browser along the way.

permalink   jadewood Wed, Nov 25, 2009 @ 3:00 PM
OK - perhaps I don’t want that kind of commitment! I would rather direct people here I think..

Would it be possible to have a 5 min conversation so that you did know the particulars of our situation? You could add me on Skype on ‘jazwood’ if that works for you..

J.