Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » is sampling my korg and posting it on ccmixter illegal?

is sampling my korg and posting it on ccmixter illegal?

Nickleus
permalink   Fri, Jul 17, 2009 @ 11:14 PM
i originally wondered about this after reading a tutorial on making my own hydrogen drumkit
and the author said it would be illegal for me to publicly post a drumkit i had made using samples from my korg microkorg xl. is that true?
if that is true then would it also be illegal to post samples here on ccmixter?
i would be shocked and pissed if this were the case, but i seriously can’t imagine that this can be true.
anybody have any insight backed up by evidence/links supporting or disproving this?
teru
permalink   Sat, Jul 18, 2009 @ 2:12 PM
No comment of the legal part of that question. But there are samples here at this site which are of keyboards / modules. For example, a rhodes keyboard or a hammond organ. :)

spinmeister
permalink   Sat, Jul 18, 2009 @ 3:12 PM
I don’t think there’s any way around reading the licensing documentation of the particular hardware, software or sample library in question.

That being said, there’s probably a difference between sampling an analog instrument and essentially plainly copying a digital sample from a device and posting that somewhere. There’s also a difference between posting an individual sample and posting a musical work which mixes a sample with other musical and/or audio elements. Specific language varies widely between sample libraries.

Unfortunately, legal details are tricky and vary widely case by case and we aren’t equipped nor mandated to give legal advice around here.
zotz
permalink   Sun, Oct 4, 2009 @ 4:05 PM
To me, this is one of the reasons why moving towards Freedom is so important.

permalink   Nickleus Mon, Oct 5, 2009 @ 1:17 AM
Quote: zotzTo me, this is one of the reasons why moving towards Freedom is so important.
what is Freedom? link?
Pitx
permalink   Mon, Oct 5, 2009 @ 9:12 AM
That discussion has been in the forum of Freesound. I think that what Bram (FS admin) says in that thread can be applied to ccM.

permalink   victor Mon, Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:00 PM
A short chronology:

- I read pitx post here and thought “hold on, Bram tends to be a little looser then we are here so I’ll have to step in and reign the whole thing in”

- I click on the Freesound forum link, read Bram’s original post: woa.

- Never mind.

Yea, what Bram said. Mainly the part about “grey area” which by ccM standards means: no.

permalink   Nickleus Mon, Oct 5, 2009 @ 12:06 PM
Quote: fourstonesA short chronology:
- I click on the Freesound forum link, read Bram’s original post: woa.

Yea, what Bram said. Mainly the part about “grey area” which by ccM standards means: no.

there were a lot of good points on both sides. thanks pitx for the link