Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » recommend icon in recommends and playlist lists

recommend icon in recommends and playlist lists

Nickleus
permalink   Fri, Jul 17, 2009 @ 9:51 PM
i think there should be a “thumbs up / recommend” icon in the recommends lists and playlist lists so i can easily recommend items i’m listening to through these interfaces.
or is there a reason there isn’t? like you want “force” people into the sample display page in order to rate/recommend it?
victor
permalink   Sat, Jul 18, 2009 @ 1:56 PM
no, we’re trying to “force” anybody to do anything lol.

ideally you should be do anything from anywhere - I’ll see about adding one the ‘action’ buttons to those listings so we can approach that ideal. (I’m traveling the next few days so I may not get to it until later next week - but I think this is worth it for sure.)

permalink   Nickleus Sat, Jul 18, 2009 @ 3:41 PM
Quote: fourstonesI’ll see about adding one the ‘action’ buttons to those listings so we can approach that ideal.
that would be cool =) safe travels

permalink   victor Sat, Jul 18, 2009 @ 4:06 PM
wups

“no, we are NOT trying to force…”
victor
permalink   Sun, Jul 19, 2009 @ 2:34 PM
actually, I squeezed this in today…

Please test it out… from just about all the listing ( remix browser, pell browser, recommends browser and playlists ) you should see an action icon: that should allow you to recommend and even review without leaving the page you’re on.

Again, please test it out. I’m getting on a plane early tomorrow so if it’s broken tonight, it’s probably broken until Tues …

Thanks for the suggestion.

permalink   Nickleus Mon, Jul 20, 2009 @ 1:14 AM
Quote: fourstonesPlease test it out… from just about all the listing (remix browser, pell browser, recommends browser and playlists ) you should see an action icon
worked fine from recommends list, but when i clicked on “Certified high” by cdk in the playlists link, i got the text “recommends (5)” but with no icon. i clicked on the text and it worked though, but it should be looked at because there should be a icon there.
the pell browser link you posted is broken.
the remix browser worked.
if i could have my way, :), in stage 2 of this implementation, i would like a thumbs up icon on the actual line next to the “wrench” actions icon =) right now clicking on the actions icon and waiting for the ajax window to pop up, in my opinion (but what do “the others” think?), is the same as clicking on the song link and going directly to the page, minus the fact that you then don’t have to go back in your browser to get back to the list page, so it is one step better than it was before so thanks fourstones =)

permalink   victor Mon, Jul 20, 2009 @ 2:00 AM
ok, you should see the red thumb in the playlist view (and the pell link should work now)

Quote: i would like a thumbs up icon on the actual line

You want recommends, some one else wants ‘review’, some one else wants share, trackback, add to playlist, stream, download, license info, bpm, clickable tags, etc etc etc.

What I’m worried about is a big list of hieroglyphic icons that will only mean something to a tiny percentage of power users and confuse everybody else.

So as a trade off to get a more complete helpful popup with instructions to what everything is, you’ll have to wait 0.5 - 3.0 seconds for the ajax screen to pop up. (on my machine with a domestic wifi+cable modem the total time to fetch and display the ajax pop-up was 508ms (half a second) - yes, I can measure it)

I’m totally to hearing what others think too…

Forgive me for suggesting this but if you’re recommending tracks faster than every 3 seconds, well, then something else may up for discussion ;)

Phase 2 is a *professional* user interface designer tells me exactly how to present a web site so I don’t stumble around so much.

permalink   Nickleus Mon, Jul 20, 2009 @ 2:23 AM
Quote: fourstonesok, you should see the red thumb in the playlist view (and the pell link should work now)

You want recommends, some one else wants ‘review’, some one else wants share, trackback, add to playlist, stream, download, license info, bpm, clickable tags, etc etc etc.

great thanks! yeah i totally understand the dilemma, that’s why i prefaced my suggestion with “what do the others think?”
i didn’t mean to seem ungrateful or pigheaded =)

permalink   victor Mon, Jul 20, 2009 @ 2:55 AM
Quote: i didn’t mean to seem ungrateful or pigheaded =)

not even close, I didn’t mean to imply that at all - I got it as soon as you suggested it, it made sense to do something so people don’t have to jump around.
Ademos
permalink   Sun, Dec 20, 2009 @ 3:35 PM
Quote: nickleusi think there should be a “thumbs up / recommend” icon in the recommends lists and playlist lists so i can easily recommend item

It might also be nice, to have an un-recommend function. So if you clicked the wrong song, you can easily fix your mistake.

permalink   Nickleus Mon, Dec 21, 2009 @ 1:03 AM
Quote: AdemosIt might also be nice, to have an un-recommend function. So if you clicked the wrong song, you can easily fix your mistake.
no that’s called “indian recommending”. you cant take bake a recommend! jk, he he he =)