Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Wanna Make a video ?????

Wanna Make a video ?????

Loveshadow
permalink   Sun, May 24, 2009 @ 6:55 AM
Just recently there seems to have been a fair amount of people in the forums posting `what can or should i do about some part of the CC mixter experience.

It occurred to me when trying today to write a recent reply on a posting that my experience is only one point of view and i feel there is some general ground but i don’t know.

It also occurred to me recently that in trying to explain to a few singers and musicians i know , about CC Mixter is that they just don’t get it and they are hesitant in taking part because of the big `giving it for free use, what about the copyright’ scenario.

The site moderaters can only present what it thinks the site is but as Fourstones recently proved to me in something he said the company line is somehow not entirley why i am here and some of those other reasons are a convincing argument to attract more people to be a part of the site.

So i am about to open a big can of community worms in asking for your views on me making a CC Mixter experience users video. I have all the resources to make one and know i have the editorial skills to present a balanced documentary.

How i see it working is you giving testimonials as to the value of the site its practical workings and your experience.

These would be inter cut to give an across the board view of the Mixter experience and hopefully the result can be a valuable resource and can be pointed to by someone who has a question in the future.

I would like to say shoot video but alternatively if someone feels they could do a vocal recording and supply some still pictures or get some one to film them working at home to cut the vocal too, so you dont have to speak to camera, i could make that work.

The feasibility and practicality of doing it at all will become evident when you have posted some of your thoughts.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sun, May 24, 2009 @ 9:30 AM
man, this is an awesome idea, but even more so, it’s awesome of you to step up and volunteer to do this.

so thanks, and um, yeah, i’d be happy to contribute something.
victor
permalink   Sun, May 24, 2009 @ 5:44 PM
oh lordy

well, first, to anybody remotely thinking this is less than a grand idea (and gesture) know this: as long a drop of blood squeezes through my clogged arteries, as long as I am semi ambulatory, I will hunt you down and give you very scary, evil looks…

Meanwhile, as the “script” comes into focus I think it may be a good idea to run it by our sponsors. While I’m 100% sure it will be “on message” it would be nice to avoid either embarrassment or some other cross-purpose issue.

I will start bells ringing… we’ll see who responds.

permalink   Loveshadow Mon, May 25, 2009 @ 6:24 AM
Thats a given.

Like any production i would want the ` the sponsors’ to be content that we have reflected the core of the site and the messages. I think that will come thru. However its a non scripted piece with testimony and that cant be `scripted’ till you know what you have.

What i am hoping is that the question of why we bother uploading anything for free is somehow revealed.

I think its more complex and personal than the Coca Cola advert thats imagined.

permalink   victor Mon, May 25, 2009 @ 7:08 AM
cool - I think it’s important to capture what folks are doing here (whatever that is, whether it’s what CC intended or not) the only thing I care about is we don’t accidentally relay something technically incorrect about CC.

permalink   Loveshadow Mon, May 25, 2009 @ 8:18 AM
You can be executive producer. I will get you a chair with your name on the back and fat cigar :-)
gurdonark
permalink   Sun, May 24, 2009 @ 7:10 PM
You’re great to suggest it. It’s really great, too, that you know this area so well, and of course you remix so well.

I’d be happy to help in any way.
spinmeister
permalink   Sun, May 24, 2009 @ 8:01 PM
totally awesome on many levels - just let me know how I can help!
essesq
permalink   Mon, May 25, 2009 @ 6:14 PM
Surprise surprise, I’m in :-). I’d be inclined to leave it up to others in the community who know me well to determine how I could best contribute. Some around here might know that I was interviewed already for a case study concerning ccMixter. Participating in that Q & A process did help gel some of my thoughts about this space and how to project it outward.

Y’all know where to find me once others have weighed in and a path starts to beat it’s way through the brush.

And yea…the Shadow’s got a heart of gold to match those golden ears :-).
Loveshadow
permalink   Tue, May 26, 2009 @ 3:15 AM
Well thanks Ess but the idea to do this is not altruistic. I think there is an interesting and valid story to compile and one that i have been a part of so its just an extension of what i do.

The lions share of work and responsibilty on delivering the footage will rest with the mixers who contribute.

I am not surprised and thank the small group of people like yourself who are ready to step forward and say something but it will also need a broader range of contributers to build a balanced story.

I also think some of the people who are already visually i.e on video on the web, like Shannon might help the production process if they were willing to contribute of course.

So if any of the above could nudge any of them it might help.

Early days but the sketch is taking shape.

permalink   Admiral Bob Wed, May 27, 2009 @ 4:44 AM
Of course, there are people here other than just the remixers. A few of us are primarily samplers, and while we’re not in the foreground in the same way, what we do may be interesting as well.

permalink   Loveshadow Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 11:59 AM
Thats exactly the kind of thing thats need to be said. Your use of the site is a valid as any other.

So thanks for your input.

permalink   gurdonark Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 7:55 PM
I think it’s really cool that you post those samples!

permalink   gurdonark Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 7:50 PM
Would it help you for me to find end user video makers to give a word or two? I think that is a strong possibility that I could help in this way.

I know fewer of them, but it is possible I could find a podcaster as well to give a word.

I can also hold forth myself, as I so often do, but as a “usual suspect” I feel my voice is often heard already. It may be that others who are not as often pontificating as I will have things to say about their enjoyment of the board and what we do.
narva9
permalink   Tue, May 26, 2009 @ 7:54 PM
Yes, documenting this crazy beautiful corner of the cyberworld is a worthy endeavor.

If it weren’t for teru pushing me to submit and subsequent welcome I received when I first arrived here, I would have stopped writing songs a long time ago. ccMixter is an oasis. Positive, supportive…making us all more creative and brave.

Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help

Y :-)

permalink   essesq Wed, May 27, 2009 @ 1:19 PM
Yes I do think the operative word here is brave, or, alternatively, temporarily insane :-). But a little madness can be a lot of genius.

permalink   gurdonark Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 7:54 PM
Brave? yes.

Brava? Definitely.
Loveshadow
permalink   Thu, May 28, 2009 @ 12:04 PM
I have come to understand that there are those who are not maybe comfortable stepping into the light to be seen, so if anyone was to provide some text to me under a mixer name as to their experience i can get it read and cut it in with graphics or other supporting pictures.

Its a last resort however as full video messages will be ultimately be better and must be considered first.