Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Help » more CC Rights questions

more CC Rights questions

EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sun, Jul 17, 2005 @ 7:02 PM
Sorry if any of these have already been addressed…

1. With a (cc)BY-NC-SA license, can tracks that I post here be played by DJ’s in clubs or put onto mix CD’s? With the style of music that I make, avoiding complications in this area is a big concern.
2. I have a Soundclick account, and their CC licenses are "(cc) BY-SA" . CcMixter’s uploads have a "(cc)BY-NC-SA" lisence by default. Can I post the same song in both places?
3. Who keeps track of this…if I just put a song online and say I want it under such-and-such combination of licenses, who’s really keeping track?
I’m really into the idea of CC licensing, and I really appreciate any help in understanding it a little better!
Thanks,
Eric
victor
permalink   Sun, Jul 17, 2005 @ 7:13 PM
Quote:
1. With a (cc)BY-NC-SA license, can tracks that I post here be played by DJ’s in clubs

yes

Quote: or put onto mix CD’s?

not if they charge money for it (unless you get permission or license it from Magnatune, the latter of which is brain dead simple and really cheap)

Quote:
2. I have a Soundclick account, and their CC licenses are "(cc) BY-SA" . CcMixter’s uploads have a "(cc)BY-NC-SA" lisence by default. Can I post in both places?

Yes, but you have to make sure it’s clear that one song is also NonCommercial.

Quote:
3. Who keeps track of this…if I just put a song online and say I want it under such-and-such combination of licenses, who’s really keeping track?

The combination *can* be issue but the one’s you’ve state here are no problem. Who’s keeping track? Er, you (?) ;)

Peace,
Victor
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sun, Jul 17, 2005 @ 7:32 PM
Great! Thanks for the advice!