Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » Buggy Bugs?

Buggy Bugs?

victor
permalink   Tue, Feb 24, 2009 @ 3:16 PM
Have you seen a typo or mildly irritating, er, behavior on the site and you’ve just been too busy, or shy, mildly indifferent to point out?

Now is your chance, I’m collecting all the little annoyances and doing an update to the code within the next week so if you’ve been holding back for whatever reason, let me know - either by responding to this thread or privately (you don’t need to be logged in to use that form).

I’m sure I’m opening the flood-gates for wish list features and that’s fine - you’ve all seen me say ‘no’ - but I’m talking about actual mistakes and bugs here. Hopefully part of the upgrade will be the ‘fork this thread’ feature so enjoy the derailing while it lasts ;)

VS
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Tue, Feb 24, 2009 @ 5:47 PM
ok….you asked for it….

label this one “mildly annoying”…

from the “ browse remixes” page, if i click on one of the remix links to get to the actual remix page (for more info or to leave a review), it’s not easy getting back to the “browse remix” page i was last on (by default, it takes you back to the most recent, first page).

i deal with this mostly as i wade through a week’s worth of submissions for the cool music show, as it’s easier to browse than to wade by list, since it shows more per page and i can listen to them from the browse window as well.

did that make sense?

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:55 AM
that’s been asked for a lot - I’m not against it in principle, just can’t figure out a useful way to do it.
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Subliminal Thu, Feb 26, 2009 @ 8:39 AM
That’s the way I do it also. Then again, I am not an elegant man. ;-)

permalink   teru Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 12:19 PM
Just a suggestion for anyone who likes to search a bit more manually. Like me.

Depending how you browse, it may be more efficient to use the tags to browse instead of the browser.

ie - remixes, samples , pells.

This way you can flip from page to page. And you can also narrow the fields on the fly by using the “edit tags” function. : )

Also using “ctrl+f” within the tags box is super handy.

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:56 AM
that’s a historical thing and a (relatively) major rewrite that I’ve put off for too long. not this upgrade, but that’s coming.
teru
permalink   Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 11:14 AM
re: sample browser

if it’s possible, I would love a tweak on the the sample browser to fit better on my display settings.

http://img264.imageshack.us...

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 11:18 AM
ok, that’s a bug - what’s your display settings/browser?

permalink   teru Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 11:28 AM
Browser = FF 5, IE7
Display = 1024 x 768

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:30 PM
ok, try it now

permalink   teru Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:52 PM
Looks good to me.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 1:36 PM
i have the same issue i think.

Vista/Firefox 3.0.6
essesq
permalink   Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 2:07 PM
Ok this is really mildly irritating…a click on the “Remixes” tab gives you the Ed Picks and then requires a second click to get to the listing. I’ve been getting around this with a bookmark, but it seems that the Picks tab or the little listing in the sidebar gives the Ed Picks enough coverage.

I think the Remixes tab should just give you the list in chronological order. If it sounds like the height of laziness that I can’t just click the second time, feel free to blow me a raspberry - I can’t see you anyway :-).

I also left a post on the topic of hidden files for restricted access. Teru replied with a possible offsite depository for such a purpose but anything happening on that front?

And yes there is an argument for me getting a semblance of a real life…I’m working on it :-).

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 4:29 PM
I can’t speak for anyone but myself here, but I think this discussion has taken place before about the ed picks being the first page from the remixes tab. I think part of the motivation for this was to introduce to new listeners or visitors to the site a microcosm of the kinds of music and remixes found on the site. Going straight to the recent remixes listing offers no “signal to noise filter”, while at the very least, the ed picks kind of represent what we feel to be the cream of the crop, and therefore a good first impression from a new visitor.

at first, i felt this was kind of exclusionary and subjective, but I do see the value of putting on our sunday best for a first impression.

just my 2 cents. so essesq, i don’t think you’re lazy, i just think this was planned for a particular reason.

permalink   essesq Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 4:41 PM
I understood the reason for it and I won’t belabor the point (too much) but what about a little welcome message to new visitors and a note to check out the editor’s picks and, uh, for argument’s sake, The Cool Music Show, just as another “random” example of a one stop shop for great and varied offerings :-).

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 6:08 PM
Quote: essesq…what about a little welcome message to new visitors and a note to check out the editor’s picks and, uh, for argument’s sake, The Cool Music Show, just as another “random” example of a one stop shop for great and varied offerings :-).

no argument from me! :)
(thanks again for your promos too….)

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 5:19 PM
yes, this was a topic of conversation and the compromise ended up being the “new remixes” link on the left hand side for people who are logged in.

And having seen some periods of time when the signal to noise ratio for new remixes was somewhat low, I’m very much in favor of the way it is now.

permalink   essesq Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 6:17 PM
That link for the new remixes is something that has to be set up in your user preferences. I remember thinking it made the sidebar crazy but maybe I’ll revisit that option.

I fully understand the practicalities. I’m letting this one go, so I don’t need any further discussion…and please don’t take that the wrong way anybody :-).

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:32 PM
the full gory details are in the “ memoir

permalink   victor Tue, Mar 24, 2009 @ 9:31 AM
I haven’t tested on all browsers but this should be working,

permalink   victor Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 9:51 AM
heh - so it works TOO well lol.

well, I want to get it right because I’m now dabbling in OpenID registration and it will actually be really important for that. I’ll poke it at some more later today.
victor
permalink   Thu, Mar 5, 2009 @ 11:53 AM
Sorry everyone, I was hoping to get to this some time this week but my beautiful plans were interrupted by personal matters that needed my immediate attention and temporarily bumped this off the radar.

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:11 AM
np, i see it - now, if I can i figure out how to install Flash on ie8 I can test the rest of the site…

permalink   victor Fri, Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:28 AM
and I don’t feel so bad since gmail needs compat mode too ;)
teru
permalink   Thu, Apr 2, 2009 @ 1:01 PM
Some MP3 that are encoded at a CBR are not showing a play (speaker) button. Ones with a system assigned: 44k tag play but ones tagged 32k, 48k for instance do not.

FYI - Audacity 1.2.6 does not support VBR. Some Audacity users may run into this problem when encoding with LAME. To avoid this I am getting into the habit of saving files a .wav and then using Media Convert to covert it to a VBR MP3.

permalink   victor Thu, Apr 2, 2009 @ 1:42 PM
that’s the divisible by 11 thing (which I think is lifted for Flash 10 but I have a) confirm that and b) convince myself that enough people have upgraded from 9 or below)

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Thu, Apr 2, 2009 @ 2:58 PM
i’m guessing this is the problem with why i’d have to download this to hear it.

not to pour salt in the wound here, but if i have to download the track to play it, i assume i can’t play it from a playlist player (or have it on the cool music show…)

sorry panu.

can we highlight this issue more in the FAQ?

wait, do we have an FAQ? :O