Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Old Stuff In The Attic

Old Stuff In The Attic

tacet
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:34 AM
Hey,

So, two weird things happened just recently to me. Firstly, I bought a Korg M1 from eBay for just over 200$ instead of buying a controller keyboard for roughly the same price. The smartest thing I ever did, what a great instrument.

First question for kicks, what vintage equipment do you guys have and love, and what are you currently watching on eBay? lol :D

So the other weird thing which happened recently, I found some old cassettes which I don’t even remember recording, of some chip-tunes I wrote as a spotty teenager (c64 mostly).

Wow. Talk about time machine. I was thinking of sampling them (mostly short tunes and loops) and making a sample pack for ccMixter.

Second question, would anyone find this useful? It might give me more incentive to do it with a bit of encouragement :) If so then I also challenge you to also post some old retro recordings/samples from your teen years - assuming you’re as ancient as me, lol :D
John Pazdan
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 11:33 AM
Gebus …you were just a teenager when C-64’s were around, and THAT makes you ancient?….man..I will now be headed to the ice flow, see ya later, as..well never mind.

anyway, I am using a Hohner chromatic harmonica from 1928..sounds fab. It’s also even older than me..not by much though..THAT’s A JOKE, son.

the other day I plugged in my yamaha pss480..I bought that at Woolworths’s in 1947 so I could have a cheap midi controller..it also has drums! programmable drums! and a five song 256 note total sequencer! AND you can program yer own FM sounds as it have not ONE but TWO “operators”..and did I ever get some nasty sounding “tones” out of that..the cat ran out of the room, yowling..stop it make it stop..ARGGHH meow!!..and of course as the great Marco Raaphorst (and yers trooly) know..the “jzz bzzzz” bass patch is really awful, and that’s good…I think they used to sell these on ebay for like $0.25, but the circuit bender boyz and grrls have been hacking everything up lately..and they are now at least up to $4.78, not including $58 for shipping..

btw..I haven’t seen a Commodore 64 (or even the highly advanced 128…) around in years..bleep bleep bleep. I wish companies would go back to naming their computers like that instead of the r-453x or whatever the fahnk it is they call shit “nowadays”..

permalink   tacet Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 2:11 PM
It’s funny how the c64s (or rather their sound generators) are still popular. And as this is a DIY thread I think I should elaborate with a special mention to the various projects which take the word dedication to a whole new level.

http://www.midibox.org/

Now that’s awesome :D
spinmeister
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 1:08 PM
oh you young one’s with your modern gear like that fancy Korg M1. ;-)

I’m using an old first generation Yamaha DX7 as one of my controller keyboards.

It was one of the first mass produced keyboards with not only velocity sensitivity, but also after touch — although you have to practically sit on the key to trigger it :-)

permalink   tacet Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 2:21 PM
It is a bit fancy actually, no wonder they were so popular back in the day. The DX7’s hold their price, they’re hitting the “rare” and “vintage” market now. I did know about the aftertouch on the DX7, I have the complete opposite to that with my DX100 keytar! Oh yes, you better believe it I have four operators and I ‘aint afraid to use ‘em.

The mini keys on that thing are crap, but I used to be able to play it faster than a hamster on Red Bull….these days I’m more discerning, with my stately M1 lol :D

Hmm, I also have an mu10 kicking about somewhere…

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 2:57 PM
DX-100? too cool!

To go even older, I also have a Roland Juno 60 synth :-)
radiotimes
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 10:57 PM
Well I’ve got an old ukelele handed down to me by my Father. It was given to him by George Formby but the toothy bastard forgot to tell us where the midi in and out go!!!:o)