Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » another "bug by design"?

another "bug by design"?

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Thu, Jun 5, 2008 @ 4:06 PM
I noticed in the forum if you respond to a first post in a thread, it doesn’t position the response directly under the post, but it posts it at the end of the thread. it seems to work fine for all other posts in the thread (position the response directly under) except the first post to a thread. i even tried it using quotes but it still ended up at the end of the thread.

mythbusters? :)

i know victor, you’re on break….
victor
permalink   Thu, Jun 5, 2008 @ 4:41 PM
definitely by design, by definition replying to the top of the thread is what the thread is for in the first place.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 6:55 PM
here’s another minor, isolated, interesting one for you. i noticed after listening to this great new track by Volkan Sahin (Moan), he had one other remix he had posted a year and a half ago (back in the star days i assume). i also noticed i had surprisingly reviewed it in December of 2006, and probably rated it. But for some reason, i can’t recommend it now, even though it shows no recommends. i guess that’s true of any old archived stuff that might have been starred but didn’t carry over?

no biggie.

permalink   teru Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 7:32 PM
It looks like there is an irregularity where older files from the stars era will show zero recommends until someone new comes along and recommends it. It probably has something to do with the # of stars that were given out or the average star rating at the time of the switch. : )

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 7:39 PM
interesting that now it shows 4 and before it was zero. you must have just done something.

and none are mine :O

permalink   teru Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 7:45 PM
Yeah. I was the new recommend that triggered it. From what I see :

Recommended by: MC Jack in the Box (mcjackinthebox), fourstones (victor), rewired, teru

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 8:33 PM
instigator. :)

permalink   victor Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 9:03 PM
Take a (bad) bug from early ‘06, combine with one-time only ratings/recommend switchover, sprinkle lightly with “by design” (aka ‘hack’) and you end up with the situation we have now (noticed once before but I can’t find the forum thread).

The compromise workaround to all the above is that there’s an internal magic rating (stars) number. If the average is below then none of the recommends shows up. When someone recommends it today (the equivalent of a ‘5 star’ rating) and that pushes the average rating above the magic number then that triggers the overall number of ratings to be used as the number of recommends.

You couldn’t recommend it because you had previous rated it.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sun, Jun 29, 2008 @ 9:10 PM
it’s actually kind of cool. motivates me to go back and highlight some moldy oldies. :)

cmon, i know you love me digging up these piddly things……
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sat, Feb 14, 2009 @ 2:51 PM
so here’s an odd one i just found. i was trying to put together a playlist of remixes for valentines day, and i noticed on a bunch of the older remixes, the play button doesn’t appear, although if you click the download option from the remix page, the file is a single mp3 file.

any thoughts? (mac OSX, firefox)

permalink   victor Sat, Feb 14, 2009 @ 3:50 PM
Are they 44k?

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Sat, Feb 14, 2009 @ 5:44 PM
ah, i guess not, they are 48k. one of them was yours. :)

oh well.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Sat, Jun 6, 2009 @ 11:20 AM
just a heads up, i noticed this morning that when I tried to manage/replace my most recent upload by clicking “manage files”, i got this cryptic message….

manage? Sorry, we don’t know who that is…

and the heading said “People”

I ended up deleting the upload and reposting it. no worries.

permalink   victor Sat, Jun 6, 2009 @ 12:34 PM
yup, got it. should be ok now.

thanks