Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » How to create this sound? Help!

How to create this sound? Help!

Luke Tripp
permalink   Fri, Mar 30, 2007 @ 1:05 AM
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with how to create a specific sound. I’m trying to get a muffled distortion sound/effect similar to this (watch the video. The snare distortion, and clicking distortion on the kicks, etc…). I’ve tried gating my samples, crushing them, adding a distortion filter but can’t seem to get even close to the same results.

Any help would be great, maybe something you use to get a similar result; filters, plugins?

Thanks!
- Luke
tacet
permalink   Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 6:46 PM
Wow - beats me! It’s a nice effect, sounds like distortion which is then super-compressed/limited. I’d guess a “bit-crusher” might sound like this if you then fed it through an effects chain (as above). I dunno. It kinda sounds like a cool mistake too, the sort of error you get when you digitally overdrive too far and then compress it back down again.

Never heard any one plugin sound like this….

——-
Update! :) I just created something similar using the mda VST pack (see here http://ccmixter.org/media/t... )

mda degrade - mda overdrive - mda bandisto

I still think it needs limiting/compressing and EQing, you’ll need some elongated drum sounds too.

There’s a lot of processing in that track! …tis nice though :)

permalink   Luke Tripp Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 12:13 PM
Aye, those work nicely. I just need to mess around with them more. Their only drawback is I can’t load the same plugin twice, not even in another track, it kills FL. But I’ll work on those, thanks!
victor
permalink   Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 10:27 PM
yea I agree there is a lot of processing there. I can’t think of a single plugin that gets that sound “as is.” The snare sounds like all the bottom (everything below 1000Hz) is simply chopped off and I’m almost sure the kick is more than one kick mixed together, one for the boom, one for the click. Hope that helps.
cdk
permalink   Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 11:26 PM
i don’t know if this helps, but what i did to get the sound on my kicks herei used a regular 808 kick drum, then in fruity loops i put two fast dist channels and left the knobs alone. then i used a regular (not multiband) compressor on the set setting, and like tacet said “accidently” it sounded like this..
(ps. i tryed it on reason and it did not work at all)

permalink   Luke Tripp Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 12:16 PM
See that’s what I’ve been getting, but I wanted a ‘fuller’ more ‘distorted’ feel. Like on your snares, how they draw out, did you just stretch them?

permalink   cdk Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 12:37 PM
the “main” snare?
it is actually made up of 3 different snares,

one is slowed down (streched) with some reverb

one is a normal snare found in flstudio stock with nothing done but vocal compression (multiband)

the third is a high pitched smack put right in the middle of the three.

the trick is don’t sequence them so start all at the exact same time, free hand it as close as possible without being the same

do some volume adjustments and then
DISTORT AND COMPRESS>>

i hope this makes sense?

permalink   cdk Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 12:39 PM
and try different reverbs and delays to make a “fuller sound”
remember sometimes a little can be allot so just take your time and tinker..
Luke Tripp
permalink   Sun, Apr 1, 2007 @ 2:22 PM
Well here is like an hour after tinkering around. It’s somewhat close (at least compared to what I’ve done in the past).

Experiemental Pack

I’ll need to work on it some more, but it’s getting there.

permalink   tacet Mon, Apr 2, 2007 @ 5:29 AM
That’s cool Luke (Cool hand Luke? :) …how about writing a quick note about how you did it for folks who might be interested? (me included :D)

permalink   Luke Tripp Sat, Apr 21, 2007 @ 1:09 AM
Well that only took forever.

Here ya go.

Ok, it really didn’t take that long, I’m just lazy. :P
Luke Tripp
permalink   Tue, Apr 24, 2007 @ 1:31 PM
Well I found out what he uses mainly. It’s Izotope’s Trash. Pretty easy to use, but hella expensive. $200 for a plugin! You’ll hear the results I came up with in my latest remix. (If I can finish it before the 10 day trial is over :P)

permalink   Luke Tripp Sun, Apr 29, 2007 @ 4:08 PM
Ok here it is.

You can’t hear the distortion on the kicks very well, but definitely on the snares.