Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » A Few Good Translators...

A Few Good Translators...

admin
permalink   Fri, Oct 27, 2006 @ 3:01 PM
[ IMPORTANT UPDATE BELOW ]

As ccMixter gains popularity in non-US markets it has become obvious that we need to explain to our non-English speaking comrades how this site is different than any other music uploading site. We really need to help our non-English speaking friends succeed on the site (while we grab some of their killer beats yo ;)

A site that specializes in remixes, legal ones at that, never mind the philosophy behind Creative Commons and why this site is even here are all hard enough to wrap your head around in our native languages. By the time we get to relying on on-line auto-translations of our submit and forum pages the most basic concepts of the site are completely lost and that’s not good for anyone.

So…. if you speak fluent English AND French or Spanish (these are critical but we could use several others as well, Italian, Portuguese, etc.) and you are feeling like giving something back to the community, please get in touch because we have a few targeted screens we need translated. It would be greatly appreciated and make ccMixter a true world-wide experience.

Peace,
VS
Esquadrao Atari
permalink   Wed, Nov 1, 2006 @ 10:38 PM
If we put together all the members of our band, we have people who can speak english, portuguese, spanish, french, german and italian. We also have a professional text revisor and a couple scholars. You may count on us for anything!
j00lz
permalink   Sat, Nov 11, 2006 @ 7:08 AM
I am a native French speaker who has been living in English speaking countries (UK & Australia) for the last 12 years, I would be more than happy to help with translation work.

Cheers,

Julien.
victor
permalink   Tue, Nov 14, 2006 @ 12:35 AM
OK!!

The response to our request for translators has been really good. So good that we can’t keep track. So we decided not to try to keep track.

Instead, we’ve added a new feature to the site that allows certain forum messages to be translated by any registered user (kind of like a Wiki).

If you see a ‘Translate’ button on a message and you see there is a language missing then just click on translate and upload the tranlsated text.

To see what forum threads have or need translations click here.

To see an example of what it looks like when a topic has been translated click here.

Thanks to everybody that got in touch, now you can go for it on your own.

If you are worried that two people are translating the same topic, then go ahead and ‘reserve’ the topic. In other words:

1. Use the ‘Translate’ button but instead of the text put your account name and let people know you are translating and will be uploading soon.

2. When you are done use this screento find your ‘place holder’ and replace it with the proper transated text.

It’s OK to have more than one translation but it probably better if you get in touch with the person who did the original and maybe merge yours.

Peace,
VS
Esquadrao Atari
permalink   Tue, Nov 14, 2006 @ 1:50 PM
Grrreat idea. I’ve already translated the three articles. Please change the description of the first article from “portuguese” to “Brasileiro”. I guess some day a brother from Portugal would prefer to make a portuguese-portuguese version of the texts instead of reading the brazilian-portuguese version.

Or, not. We might leave them all as “Portuguese”. It’s up to you guys.

permalink   victor Tue, Nov 14, 2006 @ 2:40 PM
done (and forgive my provincial ignorance)

permalink   nelas Mon, Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:45 AM
I think it is better to put “Português-br” and “Português-pt” to differentiate…

“Brasileiro” is not used anywhere and it is incorrect!

On Jamendo they decided to fuse all portuguese languages in one. It is working until now for the translations, despite the differences between portuguese languages!

Looking forward to translate something!
astronomikl
permalink   Mon, Oct 22, 2007 @ 6:56 PM
I am a North American living in Chile. I speak spanish, english, and portuguese. I would love to help translate some things if you need it. Holla atcha boy and its done!
nos vemos

permalink   victor Tue, Oct 23, 2007 @ 10:56 AM
that’s great.

scroll up this thread to see the instructions for how to help out.