skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Somewhere Over The Border Remix Event

Somewhere Over The Border Remix Event

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Wed, Feb 22, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

Somewhere Over the Border - ccMixter Remix Event

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it is not open. - Frank Zappa

If you feel like the world is spiraling downward like a house in a tornado and the cord to open the chute is broken, then this remix event is for you. Click your heels twice and join us for Somewhere Over the Border, an event where remixes do come true.

We like to be as open as possible, without borders, both literally and figuratively. ccMixer.org is an open access site where everyone from everywhere is always welcome. We are proud of our international, cultural and musical diversity. We believe that keeping our music openly licensed, open to boundless collaboration, and open inclusion in creative projects around the world, well, makes our community thrive. Like Dorothy, we are spinning from all that is happening in the world right now. Like Frank, we’re stretching the boundaries of music creation and interpretation — and hopefully opening minds along the way.

In paying attention to the undercurrent of the ccMixter community, we’ve noticed that many members are actively engaged in political and world happenings at this historic moment in time. Because of this, we think it would be a good time for a remix event that is world issue themed. Somewhere Over the Border is your opportunity to air your political grievances, share your hopes for the future and get remixed!

Help us spread our open and inclusive music! Please share your uploads on Twitter and Facebook. Tag #ccMixter and we will happily repost! Twitter: @ccMixterMusic and Facebook.

Please consider joining our ccPlus program if you would like to help support ccMixter AND earn royalties on your uploads. Not sure what ccPlus means? Check it out HERE and email us to join!

Would you like to contribute to ccMixter’s server cost? Your donation keeps the music up and expanding.
http://dig.ccmixter.org/keep-ccmixter-open-and-free

You are invited and encouraged to share your original pells, samples, and remixes to the Somewhere Over the Border Remix Event.

Pells
Samples
Remixes

Speck
permalink   Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 3:30 AM
Can’t help but notice that ever since the big announcement that we need to upload less in order to keep the server costs down there’s been an almost uninterrupted stream of remix events for which the upload limit is lifted. Can you explain this seeming contradiction?

permalink   Kara Square Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 8:43 AM
Hmmm… definitely a fair observation.

Quick explanation: Coincidence.

Explanation explained: Honestly, it starts with coincidence which coincides with behind-the-scenes restructuring.

We’re working hard to make ccMixter more engaging and inviting. That’s why we’re doing more events. During events, we change the upload limit from 1 per week to 3 per week. So there’s still a limit, but yeah, it’s less restrictive.

Meanwhile, we’re working towards a huge server transfer that should help with both storage and costs. One big scare was a huge bandwidth overage which happened from an Android hack. So until we get the transfer completed, Android access has been restricted.

I really hope this explanation helps. Please feel free to ask questions… always!

permalink   Speck Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 9:50 AM
Alrighty then. I hope the server transfer helps significantly.

So… if the huge overage which happened from a hack hadn’t happened would the upload limit still have happened?

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 10:06 AM
Hey Speck,

We decided to create the upload ban a few months before the hack. The bandwidth of uploading and the amount of storage from a small group of mixters was a very significant amount above the rest of the users. Many other sites offer super users an opportunity to purchase a premium account, so the costs associated with their above average use can be covered financially. CC won’t allow ccMixter to offer that type of account so the upload restriction was the best way to cope with the costs.

The remix events are an attempt to be more inclusive of more members of our community — so our library and sharing is a rich diversity of contributions — not just those from a handful of a few super users.

Please note, we LOVE our super users and value them greatly.

permalink   Speck Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 11:17 AM
Thanks for that further info. Always nice to know a little about what goes on behind the scenes.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sat, Feb 25, 2017 @ 7:01 AM
Maybe we should’ve called this event “Somewhere on Another Server”

Stefan Kartenberg
permalink   Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 7:16 AM
Hello everybody,
I would like to quote another statement from Frank Zappa: My musicians should be able to play better than me. I think Zappa would be enthusiastic about ccMixter, because here one can choose the artists with whom one would like to play together.
Frank Zappa has always voiced his opinions freely. So it should be in a democratic country. But I do not look at our democracy as perfect.
From my point of view, only Switzerland has a functioning democracy. When a law is passed it comes to a national referendum.

In the 70s and 80s there were many politically motivated songs. Pollution, nuclear power and downgrade have been a popular theme. Today, such political themes are no longer found in song lyrics, at least not in the top 100 chats.
Thank God this is not the case at CMMixter. Here there are a lot of artists whose song lyrics have a political or relegious opinion. So this event is certainly a success.

Last but not least: The donations.
I recently made a donation. Unfortunately there was no respond.
It would be nice if you would confirm a donation receipt. Then I know that it has arrived.

Best
Stefan Kartenberg

permalink   Kara Square Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 8:50 AM
Hey Stefan!

Love your thoughts on Frank Zappa, democracy, and political songwriting!

Please accept my apology for neglecting to express our gratitude for your generous donation! We did receive it, were very excited, and should have sent you an email! I’m really sorry. And thank you. Your support means so much to us.

permalink   Speck Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 9:41 AM
Have you seen this video of Zappa playing bicycles on the Steve Allen Show in 1963? Fascinating. I felt a real kinship.

permalink   Stefan Kartenberg Sat, Feb 25, 2017 @ 9:00 AM
Yes, i know this video. It’s really very funny. I’ve been playing bike for 40 years now. But it sounds far from as good as Zappa. He he

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sun, Feb 26, 2017 @ 9:21 AM
Kara Square
permalink   Thu, Feb 23, 2017 @ 8:56 AM
I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone creates for this event! I’ve definitely been stuck in the spiral of compounding news… often at a loss for words… trying to understand… find empathy… and hope. Guess I’ll have to open my mind further and grab my trusty parachute!