Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » CC usage in non-profit theatrical production?

CC usage in non-profit theatrical production?

vo1k1
permalink   Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 1:19 PM
I’m writing some background music for a non-profit theatre company, for which I will receive no compensation. Out of interest in using some CC licensed material, I researched the CC licenses, and associated discussions at creativecommons.org. Liberally, I need to exclude SA and ND - conservatively, SA, ND, and NC.

If I do use any CC material, I’ll ask the the license owners for permission.

Has anyone here experience with a similar situation? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 1:25 PM
Ask sackjo 22 she also did the music for a play

permalink   vo1k1 Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 3:46 PM
Quote: Abstract AudioAsk sackjo 22 she also did the music for a play

Thanks, will do.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 4:20 PM
I have been acting as the musical director for Box, Window, Door a play that has been in development, workshopped, and performed over the past 18 months or so, and continues to be in development. All of the music I have used for this play has been cc-licensed, most of which I sourced from ccMixter and Freesound.org. I relied heavily on attribution only source material. There was some source material that was nc licensed for which I obtained permission from the license holder to use. I ensured all source material was attributed in the program for the play. (One iteration of our performances entailed the use of over 50 pieces of source material, and I had to create an insert for the program to accommodate all the credits.) I have also tried to be diligent to ensure that any use of the music from the play in promotional materials/videos, etc. is properly credited.

I anticipate doing a release of the music from the play. When that occurs, I will need to revisit the license issue with the source artists.

I have also tried to upload compositions I have made using material from ccMixter to ccMixter so the source artists are able to hear how their material has been used. For example, my track Margaret’s Lullaby was composed for the play.

I hope you’ll share your work with us here — I’m sure it will be stupendous!

Best.

permalink   vo1k1 Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 4:49 PM
Thanks for all the background info. If I do use CC licensed material, I think I’ll do something similar in terms of focusing on attribution only.

It occurred to me that enforcing attribution in the event that materials are used for promotional purposes would get tricky.

I’ll talk to the creative director and try to get a feel for if the company is disciplined enough for this kind of thing.

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 5:24 PM
It can be tricky, and there may be a fine line in this instance. If you are the composer/remixer, wherever you publish the composition/remix, you are resonsible to attribute the source. However, I believe if someone else uses your composition, they are only required to attribute you per the license under which you release the composition/remix — they are not required to attribute the source material. As you “publish” the compositions at the performance of the play, it will be your responsiblity to attribute the source material (via the program). However, if the producers use your compositions in promotational material, they are only responsible to attribute you, the idea being if someone tracked down information about your composition as published(i.e., to your page at ccMixter or your website or whatever), they would then learn about the sources.

permalink   vo1k1 Sun, Jul 10, 2011 @ 5:59 PM
OK, interesting. Getting attribution in the program should not be a problem at all. And I know that they are good about any subsequent usage (re-staging, compilation CDs, that kind of thing). But promotion people can get pretty fast and loose.

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Jul 11, 2011 @ 2:25 PM
Quote: SackJo22However, if the producers use your compositions in promotational material, they are only responsible to attribute you, the idea being if someone tracked down information about your composition as published(i.e., to your page at ccMixter or your website or whatever), they would then learn about the sources.

Does this work in more ways?? For example if I make a song that gets publiced in a movie would this rule aply as well??