Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » EMERGENCE: A Community-Based Sonic Art Installation

EMERGENCE: A Community-Based Sonic Art Installation

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 11, 2011 @ 9:08 PM
The ccMixter community has been invited by ArtLab of San Diego to participate in its grand opening through the creation of a sound installation comprised of remixes created by ccMixter artists. ArtLab is a community based art venue that encompasses working studio space, gallery space, and performance space where artists freely share their process and product. Spinninmerkaba and Snowflake visited ArtLab to get a sense of the space in anticipation of this event. You can check it out in Spinningmerkaba’s video.

The theme of this event is “emergence” — the idea that the whole is not merely more than, but different from, the sum of its parts. “Emergence” reflects inter-connectivity, synergy, and the way in which unique systems develop from specific environments. What happens at ccMixter is a wonderful example of “emergence” in action as parts are recombined to create entirely new wholes. You can read more about emergence here.

All musical styles are welcome, but a special set of remixes in the style of tech-house, deep-house and downtempo will be spun by DJ Quenique, live, at the opening!

Please submit spoken word, pellas and samples by Jan 18 so mixters have an opportunity to work with your source prior to the deadline. (We’re hoping to get several in the key of A and 125 BPM for ease of tech/deep-house remixe curation).

The deadline for remixes is February 5, 2011. To be included in the Emergence playlist, your remix must contain at least one source from the Emergence event pell or sample pool. It would be great (although it is not necessary) if everyone who submits source material for this event, also creates a remix!

All of the remixes submitted as part of this event will be available via ‘dogtag’ for visitors at the event, and the full playlist will be played during the gallery opening weekend February 18-19.

We do hope you’ll join us to bring ccMixter’s unique expression of emergence to ArtLab!

Pells
Samples
Remixes
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 11, 2011 @ 9:14 PM
I’m honored to have this opportunity and look forward to the emergence of our mutual creativity.
Tomas PhUsIoN
permalink   Wed, Jan 12, 2011 @ 4:39 PM
wow great. i really love being involved in ccmixter always something new and exiting to get your teeth into, well done organizers, a round of applause to all of you. i cant wait to hear some of the tunes that come into this one.

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jan 13, 2011 @ 7:47 AM
I hope you will submit an emergence remix to play at the opening!
copperhead
permalink   Thu, Jan 13, 2011 @ 4:56 PM
Looks very interesting :) Techno and house will be a new one though lol

permalink   spinningmerkaba Thu, Jan 13, 2011 @ 8:16 PM
I’ve been listening to tech house mixes get a feel for it. I think it’s going to be like a hot air balloon—it’s a great and fun ride, but I’m not sure exactly where it’s going to land.
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Thu, Jan 13, 2011 @ 9:30 PM
Wow this is so neat! Thank you for putting together that video too.

I really liked those tribal pieces on the right when they were walking doen the hall - need sumthin for my office :o)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 8:27 AM
if you’re interested in acquiring art for your office space, or home, I can put you in touch with the artist. which one were you looking at?

permalink   Papa_Zulu Sun, Jan 30, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
Sweet!
DJ Quenique
permalink   Thu, Jan 13, 2011 @ 9:56 PM
I’m super excited to be a part of this event! Can’t wait to hear the remixes from everyone too. ccmixter is the place to find the most talented and artistic individuals!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Jan 28, 2011 @ 10:42 AM
Hi Q-

As you’re listening to the mixes, is there anything you might be looking for? if you need material to connect the dots—more beats, more whatever—let us know. Looking forward to you mixing these tracks live at the gallery opening.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 2:38 AM
Oh cool and right at the moment when I’m in a downtempo 80’s 90’s house producing period!!

permalink   Abstract Audio Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 3:42 AM
Uploaded 3 packs from tracks I’m currently working on. And now I run back to my bed to enjoy all the good stuff that the flu brings you.

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 8:18 AM
That’s awesome.
bigbonobo
permalink   Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 9:08 AM
Let’s do it ! Your pella is loaded, and I’ll try to find some samples to send. San Diego…Wish to be there !

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 9:10 AM
We wish you could be there too! Maybe we’ll do a skpe hookup like we did at the white cube opening… thoughts?

permalink   bigbonobo Fri, Jan 14, 2011 @ 10:38 AM
You mean with Skype ? I don’t know how it works, never used it…Something more to lurn. Anyway, I’ll follow that affair !
BuildingOnFire
permalink   Sat, Jan 15, 2011 @ 7:39 PM
My mix emerged in a very short time. :)

ArtLab sounds like a great idea, and there’s some terrific material here to work with.

Best of luck with the opening!
medicisoundsystem
permalink   Mon, Jan 17, 2011 @ 1:26 AM
I’d love to submit. I got two so far (take your pick or let me know where and to who i submit them to) and I looked up the link and got inspired and am working on a tech house original just for this event.

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Jan 17, 2011 @ 7:27 AM
You can submit as many remixes as you like through the submissions link, and by selecting ”Emergence Remixes”. To be eligible to be part of the sonic installation, your remix should include either a pell or sample that was created specifically for this project. (Actually, you can include multiple pells and samples in a remix — it’s not limited to one, but that is the minimum.) If you are creating an original track that is not a remix, you can submit the individual stems as samples. We look forward to your offerings!
Speck
permalink   Tue, Jan 18, 2011 @ 4:49 AM
I went to upload an emergence remix this morning by following the ‘emergence remix’ link. There is no window for source attribution. Yet I see other uploads have them. What am I missing?

permalink   SackJo22 Tue, Jan 18, 2011 @ 7:50 AM
Not sure what the problem is. One of our tech folks will have to look at it. Meanwhile, you can always add source after you upload via the “edit remix sources” button.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Tue, Jan 18, 2011 @ 8:10 AM
The attribution search window is working properly now. Thanks for the heads up!

permalink   Speck Tue, Jan 18, 2011 @ 10:37 AM
Cool. Thank you.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Jan 19, 2011 @ 1:52 AM
Tommorow and again in the weekend i’ll take some more time to create new sample packs any requests for types (drumloops pads sfx basslines etc)??

permalink   morgantj Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 8:51 AM
SFX would be cool. I would like some sfx that are related to each other. For example, a clockwork pack would include, tick-tock, winding, gears sounds, cuckoo, etc… Elements I could piece together slowly to create a whole experience in the end. The clockwork is just an example it doesn’t have to be that. But recognizable everyday sounds that can be pieced together to create a whole sound. A few pads would go along nicely with these, and maybe some syncopated beats. Thank you.

permalink   Abstract Audio Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:49 AM
Could try that, you can always use any previous posted (original created) uploads from me including SFX zips.

Currently I’m in a none creative period. Lately I’m using ADHD medicine to function better at the job (and in house) but the downside is that a lot of creatrivity (the choas in my head) is gone. It’s gonna take some time for me to adjust to that and find new ways.
Fireproof_Babies
permalink   Wed, Jan 19, 2011 @ 1:15 PM
Dang…. missed the deadline by one day. Good luck with the event :)

permalink   SackJo22 Fri, Jan 21, 2011 @ 8:18 PM
Please feel free to contribute! The deadline is established to ensure there is sufficient time for source material to be remixed. We’d love for you to participate!
morgantj
permalink   Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 8:10 AM
“…the idea that the whole is not merely more than, but different from, the sum of its parts.”

Hmmm, this gives me some ideas. Start off with pieces (of sound), slowly put them together to create the whole. I mean, in the beginning of the track it wouldn’t even be considered music yet, it would still be forming coming together, like the different sounds of a clock (gears, tick-tock, winding, etc…) slowing coming together to create a full audible experience of a clock. Once there, this full sound would be further complimented by other related sounds, in rhythm, to create music. The track would essentially “emerge” from it’s pieces to a whole complete experience.

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 2:13 PM
Brilliant concept.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Jan 26, 2011 @ 11:54 AM
Any of my previous uploaded samples, packs and stems can be used for this project. Offcourse that goes for the ones I created myself.
Abstract Audio
permalink   Thu, Jan 27, 2011 @ 5:55 AM
Do they have a website?

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Jan 28, 2011 @ 10:36 AM
the ArtLab—Yes.

http://artlabonadams.com

I just spoke with Jim Yuran, the gallery owner, and he’s in process of getting the artist’s and their work online so we can see some of the work that will be in the gallery during opening night.

SDLiveEntertainment has the good blog post about the event here:

http://www.sdlivent.com/2011/01/artlab-studios.html

will post more info as it comes in!
vo1k1
permalink   Sat, Jan 29, 2011 @ 9:19 PM
I’ve got a remix in-progress, but am not optimistic about meeting the deadline :( However, I was wondering if my material - an Ableton Live project and various samples might be useful to anyone else working towards 2/5. I guess I could also offer up some stems, basically beats and melodic content - though it is way past 1/18. Let me know if anyone is interested?

permalink   Subliminal Sat, Jan 29, 2011 @ 10:30 PM
I don’t think the 1/18 is a real deadline. I started working on something yesterday and it’s hard to tell if your samples would fit in, but judging by the quality of your previous stuff I would be interested in hearing what you got.

permalink   Abstract Audio Sun, Jan 30, 2011 @ 1:08 AM
You still can upload samples and pells

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Jan 30, 2011 @ 3:18 PM
technically, you can submit mixes all the way up to Feb 17. The deadline is for your mix to be considered for DJ Quenique’s liveset. He needs time to listen, select the songs for his set, and practice! I’m really excited about this part of the sonic/art exhibit.

wish you all could be here with us for this. a collaborative artspace launching with a collaborative music space - it is pretty inspiring.

(volk1 - i love your work! i do hope you can submit something)…

peace.

permalink   vo1k1 Sun, Jan 30, 2011 @ 6:01 PM
OK, I just submitted Vo1k1 Emergence Scene Packs. It’s a bunch of stuff, but very in-progress. Understood now about the liveset and later deadline - that is actually nice, presumably the installation music can be any genre-ish thing :).

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Jan 31, 2011 @ 12:03 AM
Whoo that’s a lot of samples/stems have to listen to them later

permalink   Subliminal Mon, Jan 31, 2011 @ 9:57 AM
Good news. I wasn’t aiming for the DJ liveset anyway and this gives me some extra time to try and finish the thing I am working on at the moment.

permalink   debbizo Sun, Feb 6, 2011 @ 3:57 AM
Will you be taking any video of the launch and uploading it to youtube?

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Feb 10, 2011 @ 9:08 AM
i believe they will be filming the event and putting together a DVD! we will keep you posted (just learned this yesterday)
The Hook (w/spinning merkaba)
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2011 @ 1:32 PM
The Hook Episode 15 is live online, with guest DJ Jim Yuran, the ArtLab gallery owner and curator.

The podcast accompanies the release of the ArtLab’s Listening Lounge. It’s a soft launch, where you can see and hear all the content being generated for the event as it comes in. Let me know what you think!

http://tunetrack.net/artlab

permalink   Abstract Audio Thu, Feb 3, 2011 @ 1:49 AM
I’m really surprised by all the music created, especially the ones created by the people who normally make acoustic music. I would love to have another song ready to use the hook vocals in it, they are great to use.

Will Quenique’s liveset be recorded so we who aren’t there can also enjoy it?

permalink   Abstract Audio Thu, Feb 3, 2011 @ 2:06 AM
I’m glad you ended it on a high thanks for that

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Feb 10, 2011 @ 10:26 AM
we’ll ask DJ Quenique about this - it is a great idea. :)
madmerv
permalink   Tue, Feb 15, 2011 @ 9:38 PM
Woops, it’s Feb 16. Hope someone listens to our submissions.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Thu, Feb 17, 2011 @ 4:24 PM
It’s coming together here in San Diego! The ArtLab is preparing for the grand opening tomorrow night and Sat. Night. Everyone is jammin’ to the ccmixter mixes!

The local City Beat weekly paper wrote a nice article about the event, and talked about ccMixter!

Check it out:
http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/blog-194-.html

For the most updated content about the event with links to the art, the gallery, and a player featuring all the mixes posted here, check out the ArtLab Lounge

I’m going to do everything I can to keep the online experience fresh throughout the event.

If you use Twitter, follow #artlab

You all blow my mind. It feels like we’re making history right now. Yes?

Cheers,
Jason

permalink   Admiral Bob Thu, Feb 17, 2011 @ 8:43 PM
How’s your costume coming? :)

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Feb 18, 2011 @ 7:47 AM
Oh man, I’m way behind. I’ve got this funky hat and a white tux, but it hasn’t come together yet. We’ll see.

Snowflake looks awesome though! She’s really somethin’

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Feb 18, 2011 @ 7:49 AM
new videos from the gallery are posted in the artlab lounge!

http://tunetrack.net/artlab/pages/videos/

permalink   Abstract Audio Fri, Feb 18, 2011 @ 7:57 AM
The art over there is insane. I really liked that monk and the painting with pinokkio.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Feb 18, 2011 @ 8:29 AM
I agree! I’m happy that I’m able to capture the vibe on video.

The monk is one of my favorites for sure. I posted another vid just now that focused on the emergence painting. Enjoy!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sun, Feb 20, 2011 @ 10:49 AM
I am so filled with energy after a week-end of art and music. To see our little artist community here show such gratitude and love to ccMixter for our musical contributions was humbling.

thank you, all of you, for contributing to Emergence.

permalink   debbizo Sat, Feb 26, 2011 @ 4:13 PM
It was great to see you having so much fun in the video clips!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Wed, Apr 6, 2011 @ 9:40 AM
was the dj show recorded?

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Apr 6, 2011 @ 10:03 PM
no. it was canceled last minute, so we’ll record the dj set when we have the cd release party. we have not yet confirmed a date for that with the artlab. i will post here when the date is confirmed.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Apr 12, 2011 @ 8:54 PM
ArtLab & ccMixter’s Emergence Album Released Today

Hey everyone. Working with ArtLab on this project has been an expansive experience - especially curating! That was very challenging. It would be exciting to see other curations — there are so many incredible tracks that could be grouped in artistic ways. A special thanks to Abstract Audio for mastering all of the tracks for ArtLab’s Curation.

Attribution standards beyond ccMixter is topic that is coming up a lot. As more and more of ccMixter’s music gets shared beyond this community, Attribution needs to go with it. This album worked to take steps in that direction. Your feedback on this would be great.

If you contributed to Emergence, email admin if you’d like a download of the remastered album.

A warm thanks to all of you that contributed to Emergence - you keep pushing the envelope and bending my mind.

Peace.