Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » ccMixter is On the Air: Podcast

ccMixter is On the Air: Podcast

victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 5, 2009 @ 12:16 PM
After many fits and false starts, we are finally proud and psyched to announce the ccMixter podcast.

Subcribe to The Show

To subscribe, drag this Subscribe link below to your podcast player (e.g. iTunes, Amarok)

- SUBSCRIBE

As of this writing this feed includes the last seven Cool Music shows, including the 50th edition published this morning. This edition of the show is a particularly great showcase of what we do here. Like every Cool Music show, culled from just the last week’s uploads.

To follow along you can use our new Podcast Home Page

Nominate a Playlist to be a Podcast

The podcasts are created directly from our playlists. At some point we may have a link to “nominate” a playlist to be included in our podcast channel, but for now you’ll have to do it “manually”:

- Click on the name of the playlist to get to it’s home page

- Copy the address in the browser address bar and paste it into a note to the admins

Create a Podcast-ready Playlist

If you think you have curating and MC skills, then create a “podcast-ready” playlist. Here’s how:

- If you’re not a ccMixter member, create an account (a one-step process if you have an OpenID)

- Browse to the remixes you want to include in your podcast and click on the ‘Add to Playlist’ link (or ‘Add to…’ from one of the browsers, or ‘Actions’ from the remix listing)

- Browse our ccMixter promos and add one or more of those to your playlist as well (feel to upload one or more of those using our Submit Promo form.)

- Upload your voice-over bumpers to your account using the ‘Submit Samples’ form. Make sure to tag it with a bumper tag. (This is really important so don’t forget to tag it or misspell the tag.) Browse previous bumpers to get an idea of what a bumper should sound like.

- Go to your playlist page (it’s the “Playlist” tab from your profile page) and click on your playlist to expand it.

- Click on the “Edit Properties” link over on the left and edit the name and description of the playlist. Click on the “Submit” button. (This should take you back to your playlists page.)

- Click on the playlist again to expand it and click on “Edit Properties” again. This time, click on “Edit Order” button. Use this screen to re-arrange the tracks in the exact order you want it to appear in the podcast. (Note that the podcast will overlap every track with approximately 4 seconds of crossfade.) When you’re done, click “Save This Order” button.

- Use the ‘nominate’ process above to let us know you think you something we might use.

What are chances we will use your playlist for our podcast channel?

The truth is: we don’t know.

We haven’t done this before so we don’t know how many people are interested in doing it and we don’t know what level of quality of curating and MC’ing to expect.

What we might end up doing is use our tools to help you publish the thing at the archive.org (like we do with the Cool Music show) but not put it into our podcast channel.

Maybe we’ll set up a voting system where we take the admins/editors out of the loop and just have you decide which playlists would represent the site best…

…let’s see what happens…
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jun 5, 2009 @ 3:33 PM
very cool. and of course this wouldn’t be possible without your hard work behind the scenes, so thanks again. for all you do!
Sixfingerz
permalink   Mon, Jun 8, 2009 @ 8:49 AM
hey all!
I’m pretty new to this site.
A few minutes ago i stumbled upon the podcast and now the forum. Very nice idea’s in here
Keep up the good work :p
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 3:34 PM
so i know victor’s approached a couple people about possibly doing mixter themed podcasts, and I’ve been talking to a couple as well. I think it would be so cool if we could put together different themed podcasts, either focusing on a specific genre or idea.

Not putting pressure on anyone but here’s a few ideas I’d love to see explored…..

A Hip Hop podcast - feature rap, hiphop, triphop, etc. hey Clarance, you’d be perfect for this.

A “weirdbient” podcast - we all know who would be best for this one…

an “instrumental” based podcast - focused largely on instrumental, score type music.

a “featured source” podcast - feature one set of source and the various, associated remixes for it. teru, yvonne?

an “aussie” podcast - yo scomber

a “tag team” podcast - old Dog and Ciggiburns, you guys would be perfect here.

just a few ideas i’m tossing out there….tell me any these wouldn’t be cool!

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 4:58 PM
some more ideas?

“sexyMixter”

“working out” (exercise music)

“ccM unplugged”

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 5:41 PM
YES! great ideas man.

now do one. :)

permalink   teru Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 5:47 PM
Workout one is a good idea. Although there is already a very good podcast out there. - http://cadencerevolution.com/

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 8:56 PM
thanks for that link, teru! Some days I just want to copy all of your bookmarks - you keep coming up with some great links here and at the ccMixter blog.

permalink   victor Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 5:50 PM
Curating could be the most important part of the future of music. I mean that. In a world that is no longer artificially segmented by invisible lines and any kid, anywhere, can get their hands on gigabytes of music at a time, it’s the taste-makers that will be “kings.”

Maybe you are royalty in this future, but to avoid any confusion I want to make this as clear as I can:

A “podcast” has two elements to it: 1) A big huge MP3 file that is the thing people download onto their iPods/players and 2) a “feed” that people subscribe to to let media software like iTunes and Amarok automatically download the big MP3 files.

To use broadcast analogies, some people call the big MP3 file an “episode” and the feed a “show.” So you subscribe to the show and your episodes will download automatically when released.

The current plan is that ccMixter.org will have ONE “official” feed. As of last week we developed the tools to a) turn any playlist into a Big Honkin MP3 episode, b) post that episode to archive.org, c) populate our official show feed with the information about the latest episode.

The decision as to which ccMixter playlist ends up in the ccMixter show feed as podcast episodes is a hand picking process by staff at ccMixter. This is akin to our home page, where the site staff decides what our public-facing side looks like.

Add to this, that curating and MC’ing a playlist/podcast is something anybody can do, but few are truly good at it. MC Jack in the Box is extremely good at it. He’s got style, taste and personality that works great for the medium. If you’ve never MC’d before I don’t want to discourage you, you may have a hidden talent for doing it, you may have other talents that indicate that you might be good at it - it’s worth a try either way.

But simply doing it, at this point in time, will not guarantee you that you will end up in the official ccMixter show as an episode. This is akin to folks who have submitted ccMixter logos, artwork and verbiage for the home page that we have considered, occasionally used, but mostly not.

As I said in the original post, this is how I’d like to start things off. All of this is flexible as we’ve never done any part of this before. Now that it’s possible to create episodes from playlists, maybe we help you make an episode for your own feed/show

The possibilities are endless, the resources are not…

VS

permalink   teru Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:00 PM
Also to clarify, when you say “podcast” this can mean 1 episode right? Not every week/every month, etc..

permalink   victor Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:13 PM
My thinking right now is that the ccM official podcast show will have several episodes per week, maybe 3, maybe more. How often is the NPR Fresh Air podcast?

There might be several one-off episodes, but ideally, I’d love it if we could present a consistent stream of regular shows: weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever. Something that an audience can latch on to, get used to and rely on.

Looks like MCJITB wants to continue the Cool Music show so that’s one that’s weekly.

btw, some episodes could (should?) be one bumper and 4 tunes. Think: commute time.

btw2 I want the monthly “Ed Pick” show.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:25 PM
Quote: fourstones

btw2 I want the monthly “Ed Pick” show.

yes! do it!

also, i like the idea of shortish (4 songs and a bumper) podcasts. easier on the back end, and easier to digest.

BTW…..to those unenlightened many….a “bumper” is the talk/voiceover part, which requires the use of the “bumper” tag.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:34 PM
Quote: fourstones I’d love it if we could present a consistent stream of regular shows: weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever. Something that an audience can latch on to, get used to and rely on.

i can’t emphasize how important i think regularity is here. this is the reason i submit the cool music show every week on the same night (thursday nights). Nothing will achieve faithful and regular support like finding something in a consistent place at a consistent time. like a favorite TV show.

speaking from personal experience, weekly is a real time commitment. but doing the Cool Music show requires me to choose from new mixes each week. Other types of themed shows could be created with a backlog, and released or submitted on a regular schedule as well. For example, if I decided to do a “ccM Unplugged” show, I could in theory create 5 or 6 shows at one time, and submit them one at a time on a regular schedule (weekly, monthly, etc.)

permalink   essesq Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 8:25 PM
Quote: fourstones How often is the NPR Fresh Air podcast?

Answer: it’s up to you. The current format for podcasting at NPR is a “build your own model”. They’ve given the curatorial duties over to the listeners.

I’m sure you just love that idea VS. Wanna write some more stuff??? Yea I didn’t think so. :-)

Anyway, there should at least be one damn thing curated by a woman from time to time. “Ladies Choice, Laddies Listen.” :-)

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 8:57 PM
Quote: essesq “Ladies Choice, Laddies Listen.” :-)

ha, now there’s a title! all you need now is a theme song.

oh, and i agree by the way.

permalink   essesq Thu, Jun 11, 2009 @ 3:09 AM
I’ll get on the theme song right away :-). I think picking the tunes is way harder.

I had another idea which might be interesting which is to do a technique oriented show where each episode would highlight a particular technical skill of remixing, play mixes that exemplify that technique and have narration (really short narration) discussing it.

I was just trying to think of ways to turn this place into a destination point and not just another source of endless possibilities.

As soon as I can decide what women would chose to listen to, I’ll try my hand at a playlist. I may be a while :-).

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jun 11, 2009 @ 7:54 AM
Yes!!!!! Ladies’ Choice/Laddies’ Listen — I love it!

I have some ideas poking around in my head as well…nothing like another opportunity to participate ‘round here!

Another suggestion — for a short podcast — featured artist — a few tracks either mixed by the same mixer or featuring the same vocalist …looks like there are really infinite possiblities here…

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:08 PM
yes, thanks for tempering my unbridled enthusiasm. :)

victor’s right, there’s no guarantee that everyone who creates something for this will get chosen as a featured podcast on ccmixter. It’s alot of work on the back end, and we’ll want to put our collective best foot forward with this new idea, which will require some reviewing in and of itself (curating the curators!)

But it’s pretty easy to create a playlist to start. in fact, that part is simple. having a unique theme and tying it all together in a compelling way, that’s the hard part.

What i’m hoping for is to at least drum up some interest, toss out some ideas to get started, and hopefully get a few dedicated souls to step up to the plate and take a swing. whether you whiff or hit a home run, the effort is appreciated.

permalink   teru Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 6:10 PM
Just a quick thought.

Maybe if set up a sticky under Plugs, when podcasts are finished, the creator can let us know by plugging them. Regardless of whether they get featured or not it will make them easier for everyone to find. We can get community involvement by having people give it a thumbs up or a short “this should be featured” message.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Jun 10, 2009 @ 9:06 PM
here’s another idea i just thought of….soothing but cool and interesting music for the stressful drive to work. i have to drive over highway 17 twice a day, god knows i could use something like this.

call it Carma. :)

permalink   ghosts4hire Mon, Jun 15, 2009 @ 2:13 AM
Quote: MC Jack in the Box
A “weirdbient” podcast

Lol wow my music might actually fit somewhere, and no Im still new here so who would be best for that one? Just curious.

permalink   spinmeister Mon, Jun 15, 2009 @ 12:22 PM
try ccMixter’s magical tag search or Google :-)
s.c.mixer
permalink   Sat, Jun 13, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
Is it a must that podcast be automatically assembled from playlists?
I mean, I guess my DJ-mixes cannot be made into podcasts.

permalink   victor Sat, Jun 13, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
it would be honor to include your mixes into the podcast feed.

On one hand by pre-assembling them and posting them at the archive yourself it saves me a bunch of steps. It just means I have to tweak the scripts to take that into account but that’s not a lot of work.

The trick with your older mixes is that the playlist creation date is what is going to go in the feed, so if we want to use one of the older ones, I will also have to hack the date to move it forward so it shows up at the top of the podcast feed (make sense?). This is not hard, I just have to think about what the side-affects might be.

permalink   s.c.mixer Sun, Jul 19, 2009 @ 3:54 PM
I’ve just uploaded a new double-volume compilation. You are free to add it to the podcast if you think it is worth publishing. It has no bumpers, though.

permalink   victor Sun, Jul 19, 2009 @ 4:01 PM
that’s funny, I tripped over the archive post of the new chill and got inspired: I was just sitting here working on the scripts to post them into the feed.

yea, it’s a little strange to have no ids on it at all but I’m not terribly worried about it.

permalink   victor Sun, Jul 19, 2009 @ 4:59 PM
ok, I think I got it all working. I’ve started with the Dance Mixter Session Vol. 1 (they should show up in iTunes within the hour) and I’ll be posting those, then your chill ones over the next two weeks or so.

permalink   s.c.mixer Sun, Jul 19, 2009 @ 7:29 PM
Great you got it, sorry for extra work! :S
I’m glad to collaborate with my mixes; post them as you wish. I may deliver some more over the next few months, and I’ll try to include some ccMixter watermark.
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Jun 13, 2009 @ 3:46 PM
I’m glad to see this start up as a listener, and I plan to make this a regular download.

I’m ironing out computer problems now, but when I have that under control I’d like to try a hand at doing a podcast, either to do something to help out here or to use mixter music to start a new one, or both.
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Wed, Jul 29, 2009 @ 2:35 PM
well, fourstones is too proud to pimp his own show as a “featured playlist” but i’m not. :)

i just want to add that i think it’s great we’re adding new shows to the podcast. from the phat sounds of phunky phetes to the mixin kitchen, from the cool music show to the brand new Hook, it’s really great to see the support of the community, to have the community enabling the ongoing success of promoting and growing the site, and to reintroduce many new listeners to the wealth of great free music available in the archive.

just one more reason (ok 3) to tune in and share.
The Hook (w/spinning merkaba)
permalink   Fri, Aug 28, 2009 @ 12:53 PM
i would like to request all mixters to record and upload a 15sec ccmixter shout out for the podcast community to use in their shows.

for ex.
(“hi this is ________ and your listening to ccmixter”)

these sound really good between tracks and help us all!

*important:
please include site_promo in the file tags

thanks!
spinningmerkaba

maybe i should start another thread for this?

permalink   The Hook (w/spinning merkaba) Fri, Aug 28, 2009 @ 1:08 PM
just found a list of promos! whew! thanks mcj

http://ccmixter.org/playlis...

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Aug 28, 2009 @ 6:40 PM
no prob. but it would still be good to get more!

permalink   victor Fri, Aug 28, 2009 @ 1:15 PM
Correction:

To upload a promo:

- Click on ‘Submit Files’ on menu on the left
- Scroll down and click on ‘Submit a Promo’
- use that form to submit the file

that will automatically add the site_promo tag but you should manually a ‘bumper’ tag

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Aug 28, 2009 @ 6:48 PM
yeah, i know i ask for these from time to time, and now with more podcasts happening, it would be good to sprinkle a few around outside the Cool Music shows. Anchor just hooked me up (heh…like that? anchor hooked me up….) with a nice NSFW promo, which I can always use more of.

Also, I think it would be cool to have something generic but specific to the podcast, which we i don’t think we have anything for yet. It could be really short and simple, like “This is ARTIST NAME and you’re listening to the ccmixter Music Channel podcast”.

but promos are good. check out the link Jason just linked to above to hear lots of different ones to give you ideas. funny is good too.