Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » FL Studio Question / Alternatives?

FL Studio Question / Alternatives?

omuse
permalink   Sun, Aug 24, 2008 @ 5:35 PM
Hey guys,
Quite a few years ago back when I was in high school I bought FL Studio 4. Back then I had no intentions of working with vocals, but now I’ve found that I really can’t finish any of my projects because I have yet to find a way to incorporate long samples. I’ve been told that I should drag and drop non-repeating samples into the space below the playlist, but whenever I do that, I get a message telling me to upgrade to the producer’s edition. Even if I click on the “ordering information” link it gives me, I just get sent to a page that doesn’t even have the upgrade listed (and even if it was still available, as a college student I don’t have $60 to shell out on some software).

Am I just stuck, or is there some way to work around this and include long vocal/guitar/etc samples? If not, is there any opensource/freeware program available that works similarly to Fruityloops?

thanks.
victor
permalink   Sun, Aug 24, 2008 @ 6:36 PM
Image-line has updated their website since ver. 4 so it doesn’t surprise me if their links are a little whacked. What you should do either way is update the latest version (8) because that part is free. You can start at my.flstudio.com and enter your username and reg number.

I’m not sure about this because I have the producer edition but I’m relatively certain you can drag/drop audio files in ver. 8, you just can’t record them.

Meanwhile, I’ve never tried it but people are buzzing about Livid.

Wikipedia section on free DAWs.

Hope this helps,
VS