Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » EQUAL AND... MORE EQUAL UPLOADS

EQUAL AND... MORE EQUAL UPLOADS

Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sat, May 14, 2005 @ 9:03 AM
Vic, could you please do something in the code that will treat all latest uploads equally? Looks like there are uploads that are "more equal" than others. When I press "latest uploads" I see "cut-ups" instead of latest uploads.
Are we more and more into cut-ups? This way we soon end with cutup only culture, with cutups only to cut and cut….
All best,
teru
permalink   Sat, May 14, 2005 @ 11:16 AM
Hi Cezary. I hate to do this but I have to disagree with you here. I think that when someone visits this site they come here expecting "sample, mash, share music" so given the choice I think "Latest Uploads" should go to the "Cut-Ups" page. Or are you suggesting an extra page where "Cut-Ups" and "Original Songs" would be listed together? Or an extra option on the left column under ‘Visitors"? My personal opinion is keep it minimal, if it ain’t broke……. I’d love to hear other comments though. Anyone?
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 12:01 AM
I suggest no extra pages. The only thing I suggest is a page called "latest uploads" to be latest uploads indeed, no mattter if they are cut-ups or else…
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 12:52 AM
I think too much stress is put on sample and mash, too little at share (produce and share). Just to be modest it should rather be share, sample, mash :) The way it is, we are beeing seen as the lawer category of artists who only feed on things that already exist.
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:29 AM
There’s no doubt CC needs to do more to support songwriter/composer types and there is a lot of thinking going into how to do that. I think projects like MLU could be an important resource to that end.

Meanwhile, this is a remix site, not a songwriters’ showcase site. Others (even at CC) might disagree with me on this one but the only reason to even host original material here is, in fact, for fodder for remixes.

VS
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:32 AM
And that’s why FORBES states that we are "a ragtag bunch of gleaners who claim that copying is creativity because they can’t create anything without directly reusing copyrighted material".
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:36 AM
Yea, because when I think of artistic integrity… I turn to FORBES. Gimme a break. .)
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:41 AM
Vic, do not pretend you are not getting the message that there is more to this than remixing only :) To remix, as you said, you need something to remix from…
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:44 AM
At least this is something I finally understood after years and years of remixing. We are at the same side of the barricade, man, but I hate it when I’m out of ammo and you seem not to care about it :)
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:45 AM
To do ALL art you need something to come before.

Every "composer" ever stole from those that came before.

Remxing == composing == stealing.

There are shitty composer who don’t know how to hide what they stole, there are shitty remixers who don’t know how to hide what they stole. No difference.

FORBES notwithstanding.
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:46 AM
Quote: At least this is something I finally understood after years and years of remixing. We are at the same side of the barricade, man, but I hate it when I’m out of ammo and you seem not to care about it :)

I care, I care ;) No really. ;)
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 6:52 AM
You have the advantage of knowing ENGLISH. If I knew this language as good as you we could discuss it longer….
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 7:04 AM
yea, I realized (too late) that might be a problem here, maybe one of the hungarian guys knows polish and we can get a really good talking-past-each-other thread going ;)
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 7:19 AM
I did not know you were so much into Monthy Python ;)
teru
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 7:46 AM
Hey Cezary. Are you suggesting that Mixter focuses more on "Original Songs" to encorage more sample material(ammo)?

I think the only way to get more artists outside of the CC community to contribute is to work w/ what we have so far and try to convince those who haven’t joined up yet that uploading songs/samples is benificial for them.

In other words someone here has to step up and make a kick a** song, get some attention, prove that sharing works and then BAM.

Forbes B*st*rds.
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 7:50 AM
Teru - you could be Polish :)
Thats it!
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 7:56 AM
And you know what? I have the feeling that finally, maybe with the Magnatune contest, something unexpected will happen, although I can’t define it yet. Maybe they are the first subject really financially interested in all this CC stuff??? Dunno ;)
teru
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 8:04 AM
Quote: Teru - you could be Polish :)
Thats it!

Well I have been waiting for a certain Polish Podcast for two weeks now. Just getting ready : )
victor
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 8:05 AM
(moved to ‘features’ section)
Cezary Ostrowski
permalink   Sun, May 15, 2005 @ 8:24 AM
moved with you move ;)