Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Upload Throttle

Upload Throttle

admin
permalink   Tue, Mar 29, 2005 @ 5:10 AM
We’re working hard behind the scenes on some cool new features (some of which you’ve actually asked for ;)) but before we can get to those we need to take care of some other business first:

We’re going to experiment with an upload throttle. This means you are only allowed a few up ‘original’ uploads and then you’ll have to upload remixes or samples in order to be able to upload more originals.

We are "forced" into this situation by mixters who have insisted on uploading their entire back catalogs of original material without otherwise participating in the Mixter community by uploading remixes, samples or even reviewing other’s materials.

There are other fantastic sites http://archive.org and now http://ourmedia.org) that are also sponsored by Creative Commons and those are the right place to upload a catalog of material that you want to put into the Commons en masse.

This is a remix community, which means only the following kind of uploads make sense:

1) A remix
2) Samples
3) An original song that is remix worthy

Yes, the last point is subjective, which is why we are allowing several uploads before the throttle kicks in. However, if your original piece (or nine of them) has been up on mixter for a month and no one has sampled and remixed it, then the remix community is telling you something.

We’ll see. If people scream or if this doesn’t make sense then we can always stop the experiment.

Peace,
Victor
Heuristics Inc.
permalink   Thu, Mar 31, 2005 @ 12:35 PM
is this going to apply retroactively to previously-uploaded samples etc, or only to future uploads?
-bill
admin
permalink   Thu, Mar 31, 2005 @ 5:59 PM
Quote: is this going to apply retroactively to previously-uploaded samples etc, or only to future uploads?
-bill

I’m not 100% sure what you’re asking but it applies to your *current* state at all times. In other words if someone uploaded 10 remixes, then deleted them we don’t remember that at one time you had 10 remixes up. We only know that you have nothing there now.

If it’s any consolation it’s pretty forgiving and someone like yourself who started by uploading only samples and remixes will probably never hit the formula to trigger it (as it is written now).

Again, we’re very sensitive to people’s wishes so I’m assuming people will let us know if we’re out of whack.

VS
Heuristics Inc.
permalink   Fri, Apr 1, 2005 @ 4:59 PM
i wasn’t so much concerned for myself as wanting to know how it worked :)
so thanks!
-bill
Minus Kelvin
permalink   Thu, Apr 21, 2005 @ 7:26 AM
Makes sense… I’ll try to do some remixes. I love the community though. I’ll delete some old songs off here that nobody has remixed. I was wondering when you guys would do something like this!
Weird Polymer
permalink   Fri, Apr 29, 2005 @ 1:17 PM
I don’t have a problem with the throttle but I did have an idea of an alternative approach for those who do more writing then remixing.

You pointed out in your excellent documentation that there are other places where original material can be hosted so taking your suggestion I started moving stuff to Internet Archive. The down side I see is a) I loose those self esteem enhancing reviews and b) the CC Mixter folks will not know I’ve done a new composition so will not provide those self esteem enhancing reviews my ego so craves ;-)

So here’s my proposal (not sure how hard it would be to implement but seems like it should work). Is there a way to upload a URL pointing at the content rather then uploading the mp3/zip directly? This would allow for community feed back (thus enhancing my self esteem 8^) while not taking up CC Mixter disk resources).

Anyway, just an idea.

Thanks for your great site, great community and self esteem enhancement opportunities!
admin
permalink   Fri, Apr 29, 2005 @ 1:36 PM
fwiw, the archive does have a comment section (and I’m lazy to look but I though they had ratings)

I’ve gone back and forth on the ‘submit a link’ thing. I think in the end what we’ll do is open up a forum section called ‘Remix This’ or some other peppy name where people can point to things around the web (and yes, comment, rate and otherwise boost or wax ego).

A feature that we HAVE decided to implement is to expand ‘I Remixed This/Submit a Remix’ to allow links as source material and include web-wide searches for CC sample-able material. The Internet Archive would be at the top of the search list

I’m sure you would find remixes of your material, even if hosted elsewhere, even more flattering than reviews, riiiiiight?? ;)

Peace,
Victor
Weird Polymer
permalink   Fri, Apr 29, 2005 @ 1:46 PM
As always Victor you inspire and are very wise! Yep, the remixes boost my ego the most. Soon my head will be so big it will not fit through the door ;-)
davi roque de souza
permalink   Tue, Jul 5, 2005 @ 9:05 AM
Perfect!!!