Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Help » About selection of CC license

About selection of CC license

ComputerHotline
permalink   Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 4:07 AM
victor
permalink   Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 1:53 PM
ccMixter is a remix site and so it was very important to us that users can use any two samples from the site to make a remix without worrying about the thorny issues related to license compatibility. When any license mixing restrictions has been introduced to the site it has been a nightmare for users and admins alike.

When we opened the site we used the Sampling family of licenses and the Magnatune contest introduced the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license into our pool. Both proved to be much too restrictive for the kind of free-wheeling mixing-matching our users love and are encouraged to do here on the site.

In particular the Sampling licenses don’t mix with most of the licenses and anything marked with a share-alike/copy-left style license also present problems. (The Magnatune sample pool is ShareAlike but I just got a special dispensation from them to allow for mixing with Sampling style licenses, the resulting remix being licensed ‘dual’ — meaning both licenses apply to the resultant remix.)

The PD choice was originally nixed by the person who started the ccMixter project because, after all, the site exists to promote CC licenses and a proof of concept that they can be applied to a particular kind of remixing. Since then that position has turned over twice (or more maybe) so I guess that decision is more historical than anything else.

Having said all that, the code that ccMixter uses is part of an Open Source project called ccTools (the particular codebase is ccHost) and administrators are allowed to specify any of the CC licenses (including PD) for any type of media content they are hosting. There have been several installation that only allow ShareAlike style licenses and yet others that only allow NonCommercial, etc. etc.

Hope that helps,
VS

permalink   gurdonark Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 8:53 PM
A related question—
If I wished to do a search for samples licensed BY and exclude BY NC, is there a way to do it? I am never good at understanding these tag URL things, but in an ideal world, I’d like to use only BY and release only BY as often as possible.

permalink   victor Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 9:02 PM
discussed here and here

permalink   gurdonark Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 9:08 PM
Voila! As that Porchcat thing goes, “finally I understand”.

Thank you.