Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » CC-licensed material on Ebay?

CC-licensed material on Ebay?

BUNNIES GONE BAD
permalink   Fri, Apr 28, 2006 @ 2:31 AM
Hi,

would it be possible to sell my cc-licensed tracks as CD on ebay?

Are there people that already tried? I would be curious to know what problems to face…

thanks in advance
george
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sat, Apr 29, 2006 @ 1:29 AM
Quote: Hi,

Are there people that already tried? I would be curious to know what problems to face…

thanks in advance
george

If your tracks contain other people’s CC-licensed samples, then those samples’ licenses would apply. If everything is completely your original work, then you’re free to do with (and license) it as you see fit.
PorchCat
permalink   Sat, Apr 29, 2006 @ 3:12 AM
Quote: Hi,

thanks in advance
george

It comes down to sources rather than the particular license you put your work under.

Any original work you created, unless you sold the rights to another party, is yours to do with as you wish including to sell.

If you use samples and other source material from others, you must use it according to the license. For example: If you use some BY-NC (attribution non-commercial) samples, you have to make arrangements for permission from the owner of those samples (sales on eBay is a commercial use). If the samples are BY (attribution only), you simply need to credit the person as they indicate (or contact the person to find out how to attribute the work to them).

That’s a quick off the cuff answer, but I’m not entirely sure why you are asking. What is your concern? What’s making you think about the issue?

*meow*
EJG (aka Laerlooper)
permalink   Sun, Apr 30, 2006 @ 1:28 AM
Quote: Quote: Hi,

thanks in advance
george

It comes down to sources rather than the particular license you put your work under.

Any original work you created, unless you sold the rights to another party, is yours to do with as you wish including to sell.

If you use samples and other source material from others, you must use it according to the license. For example: If you use some BY-NC (attribution non-commercial) samples, you have to make arrangements for permission from the owner of those samples (sales on eBay is a commercial use). If the samples are BY (attribution only), you simply need to credit the person as they indicate (or contact the person to find out how to attribute the work to them).

That’s a quick off the cuff answer, but I’m not entirely sure why you are asking. What is your concern? What’s making you think about the issue?

*meow*

Thank you for clarifying that.