Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » A tone of questions and not sure who to ask -.-

A tone of questions and not sure who to ask -.-

Cloudjump3r
permalink   Sat, Aug 16, 2014 @ 9:56 AM
Hey everyone :)

I am getting more and more into the Jungle of DIY music and music biz. I have not done to much here on cc-mixer. But that is not for lack of interest but for lack of time. And I choose to ask here….well simply cause I feel safer here then in any other forum for a reason I don’t know. I have a tone of ??? and hope some people might be able to shed some light.

Briefly about myself. I am a Composer and Producer. I do some work for games and so on. Play live hen I can and teach music and Production lessons. I love the Idea of CC but I also need to come to the point where I can make some money from my music. And I am sure there must be a way is still about sharing and fair exchange.

1. As a CC artist do I still want a lable? And how would I best go about finding one?

2. Can I still register my music with ASCAP, BMI…etc.? And do I want to? Why?

3.Do any of you have experience with services like OneRPM, CDBaby…etc.? Can you recommend one? Is there a conflict with cc music?

4.How do all of you go about spreading their music? I feel somwwhat drowned in all the things your supposedly “NEED” to do. Social media, PR, Press kits…etc. I am very aware that being an Artist is a business as much as everything else is…if not more. But how to get this stuff running without others to help you?

5. A lot of what I can find in the vast Jungle of the internet applies to beats and EDM. But that is not really my focus…or not all the time. What about Orchestral? And expermental? and just cool melodic un-poppy stuff. There is surely scenes and subculture around that. But how do you get into that or find the right one?

….well these are some of theme and some more might follow later :)
I hope some of you are willing to help and don’t hesitate to ask if I can help with anything.

cheers, Cloudjumper
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Thu, Aug 21, 2014 @ 1:42 PM
Hi there…

We at ArtisTech Media (ccMixter’s parent) are trying to create a “label” aspect as part of ccMixter (but optional of course) at TuneTrack.net (its sister site). The growth is slow because we’re all volunteers, but promising. There are special considerations with CC licensed, collaborative music that we take into consideration, and I don’t know if any other labels or companies really do that. So we’re trying to become a place where ccM artists can expand their opportunities if they so desire.

Right now registering with ASCAP or BMI doesn’t seem to work (I was with ASCAP for 13 years and had to leave). They only have their rigid programs that can’t accommodate CC licensed material. On a hopeful note, we’ve had several discussions with SESAC and they are interested in finding a way to expand their systems to actually respect and take CC licenses into consideration. We’ll see — and will keep you posted.

There are pretty insurmountable conflicts with CD Baby, Rumblefish, The Orchard, RouteNote, YouTube’s Content ID System and more — they all take “claim” of your track and it creates a nightmare of conflicts when people are using your creations under CC license in complete compliance with the CC terms. None of these entities know how to deal with the innovation of CC licenses — again something we’re working really hard to do at TuneTrack (ccMixter’s sister site).

Spreading our music is always the challenge. I’ve been doing this since 1996 and have had some great successes all indie, but it is a lot of work. The great thing about ccMixter is we work collaboratively so you’re not alone on the journey.

If you want to opt-in your catalog to ccPlus, we will do our best to try to get your tracks placed in areas where there isn’t a conflict with CC licenses. The program is new and we’re just beginning (it’s a lot of work) but we are committed to trying. If we don’t do it, who will? :D