Watch the Songbirds Event Livestream Replay
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Strike the Root-A Larry Lessig Remix Event

Strike the Root-A Larry Lessig Remix Event

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 8:01 AM
Later today Dr. Lessig will announce the launch of a new website called Rootstrikers. ccMixter was asked to hold a remix event in conjunction with this launch—we said yes! and we’re calling it Strike The Root. The theme of the event is best conveyed by the quote from Henry David Thoreau: “There are thousands hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.”

Check out lessig.blip.tv if you’d like to watch one of Dr. Lessig’s presentations. Get ready to Strike the Root!
Abstract Audio
permalink   Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 10:37 AM
You always make sure there’s enough going on at ccM. Looking forward to this!!!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 11:06 AM
This event is going to be very creative, with huge potential for collaboration across multiple sites. There may be a few extra special surprises along the way too ;-) It’s all unfolding as it should.

Update—We’ve just crafted the initial Press Release. It will go out in a few hours. You can download the .pdf of it here (right click, save as) before it goes live. Be the first to read it and get a better understanding of what Strike The Root is about.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 11:42 AM
Strike the Root Remix Project

The ccMixter community has been invited by Dr. Larwrence Lessig, founder of ccMixter, to remix him with the Strike the Root Remix Project. Dr. Lessig is about to launch the site Rootstrikers.org — a place where people can share their personal stories of how corruption has impacted their lives, with ideas on how to fix it. (He’s suggested these stories could be a source of inspiration).

ccMixter artists are invited to contribute spoken word, pellas, samples and remixes based on the Henry David Thoreau quote: There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root. ~ Henry David Thoreau

All musical styles are welcome.

We’ll focus on spoken word, pellas and samples through April 16 — but feel free to begin remixing at anytime. We encourage CC BY licensing but it is not required.

The deadline for remixes is April 30 of 2011. To be included in the Strike the Root playlist, your remix must contain at least one source from the Strike the Root pell or sample pool.

All of the remixes submitted as part of this event will be considered for three different curations (so far!). Lessig will help ArtisTech curate a digital-album for TuneTrack.net. We anticipate curations from BlocSonic and the Free Music Archive as well.

While much of Lessig’s Strike the Root spoken word is United States specific, we believe the issue of corruption is universal. As artists, we believe we can facilitate a musical discussion – where the darkness of corruption can be lightened by sharing, collaboration and creativity. In music, striking the root chord (basse fondamentale) is fundamental to a song’s structure, and it rings throughout.

Thanks for all you do.

Pells
Samples
Remixes

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 12:58 PM
This is an awesome project. And yes, as a non-US resident, I agree, this theme resonates with most of us.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 1:24 PM
If you have a past pell you would like to contribute to this project (that resonates with the theme), email admin and we’ll add it for you.

Peace.

permalink   Admiral Bob Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 1:31 PM
Your own “I Miss You” would be a good one.

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 1:32 PM
Cool. It’s CC BY too.

permalink   Kirkoid Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 11:16 PM
Quote: snowflakeWhile much of Lessig’s Strike the Root spoken word is United States specific, we believe the issue of corruption is universal.

Yes it is!

permalink   Abstract Audio Sat, Apr 9, 2011 @ 6:52 AM
Now I understand why the communistic colour is red ;)
Fireproof_Babies
permalink   Fri, Apr 8, 2011 @ 4:46 PM
“personal stories of how corruption has impacted their lives?” Oh my…. Where to start. I’ll upload a spoken-word.
dangerous_objects
permalink   Sun, Apr 10, 2011 @ 1:07 AM
Just noticed that one of Snowflake’s contributed tracks is BY-SA. I’ve been MIA for a little while - is CCMixter doing sharealike licences now? I seem to recall them being unsupported.

(Will have to skip the track regardless I guess, since there are so many BY-NC ones I want to sample… gah, not enough hours in the day)
annabloom
permalink   Sun, Apr 10, 2011 @ 1:02 PM
that might be useful:
http://www.thebots.net/GWBu...
mp3 format, good quality.

permalink   duckett Mon, Apr 11, 2011 @ 1:19 AM
What a delight to come across, thanks for the link! Now back to snipping up Larry…
;-)

permalink   Abstract Audio Mon, Apr 11, 2011 @ 11:03 AM
Oh yes this is very cool!!

permalink   phasenwandler Mon, Apr 11, 2011 @ 1:48 PM
another useful source might be:
http://www.americanrhetoric...
“database of and index to 5000+ full text, audio and video versions of public speeches”

most are in public domain, some are not, so watch out. that’s where i got my acapellas from before i found ccmixter ;)

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Apr 11, 2011 @ 9:56 PM
cool. thanks for the reference. good stuff here….
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Fri, Apr 15, 2011 @ 5:49 PM
Wow. While I can say I definately disagree with everything Dr. Lessig said in that ACAP -

I can definately relate to “personal stories of how corruption has impacted their lives”

:o)

permalink   Papa_Zulu Fri, Apr 15, 2011 @ 7:29 PM
I would have to say I prefer this lecture, Institutional Corruption - Opening Lecture:

http://www.blip.tv/file/271...

Alot of the examples in this lecture are corporations, but interestingly the institutional corruption I have seen recently is the “economy” (in Dr. Lessig’s definition) of public employee unions, public workers, state senators, and judges.

permalink   go1dfish Sat, Apr 16, 2011 @ 11:56 AM
I am partial to this one (also more recent): http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Both are CC BY Larry Lessig and are fair game for use in the project.

permalink   Papa_Zulu Sat, Apr 16, 2011 @ 3:17 PM
TY go1dfish ill have to check it out!

permalink   Papa_Zulu Sun, Apr 17, 2011 @ 6:44 PM
Ahh I’m gettin this acap now after a few lectures.
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Tue, Apr 19, 2011 @ 10:01 PM
Here is my personal story of how corruption has impacted my life - it is captured in my new Ballad

A story of how communities banded together to fight the corruption of public unions at the state level over the course of 3 years. I even have audio from my local school board meeting of a guy taking the first strike at the root addressing the public teachers union rep - for the rest youll just have to listen :o)
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Mon, Apr 25, 2011 @ 8:43 PM
I’ve posted the sample preview pak of Dr. Lessig samples on Soundcloud, with links back to our Strike The Root event. So if you’re a Soundclouder—post your mixes there too and share with the Creative Commons group.

btw-the content you’ve all posted so far—amazing! you rock my world!

sm

permalink   Fireproof_Babies Sat, Apr 30, 2011 @ 1:14 AM
Isn’t it time we move on? I sent a strike at the root, but it seemed to be of no consequence. It is an honorable endeavor, but as a community, I believe we are more than this.

permalink   Admiral Bob Sat, Apr 30, 2011 @ 5:23 AM
Today’s the scheduled last day.

As for the length of it, I don’t think this event was unusual - you need a couple of weeks for samples and pells, and you need a couple of weeks to let them get touched (otherwise why bother making the samples?) Last summer’s ASCAP one went a lot longer….

permalink   Fireproof_Babies Sat, Apr 30, 2011 @ 9:07 AM
You’re right, Admiral. I do recall the ASCAP project lasting longer. Thank you for responding, and my apologies. FB

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Apr 30, 2011 @ 9:23 PM
Looks like we may have a last remix or two coming in — so plan to wrap everything up tomorrow.

(I thought your pella on corruption FPB was provoking and excellent).

permalink   Fireproof_Babies Sat, Apr 30, 2011 @ 9:28 PM
Thank you for the compliment, snowflake. I was wrong to be impatient. Many flaws I have: The reason I persist. Music heals me.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Sun, May 1, 2011 @ 8:06 AM
Thank you everyone for contributing to Strike The Root. From start to finish this event showcased the dynamic talent of the ccMixter community. The mixes were constantly surprising, with twists and turns in genre and meaning, and all along it continued to define the art of collaborative remixing.

I am sure the music created during this last few weekends will age well and inspire individuals all over the world to strike at the root of corruption.

Thanks also to Dr. Lessig, Joey Moulin and the team at Fix Congress First for asking ccMixter to create music around the theme of their message. I wish them the best as they push forward for positive change.

Peace,
Jason

permalink   spinningmerkaba Sun, May 1, 2011 @ 8:11 AM
Technical Note:

The Strike the Root remix upload form is still available for the next few days, just in case anyone has a last mix they want to post :-)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Aug 2, 2011 @ 11:25 AM
Today blocSonic released its curation “ ccMixter Strikes the Root” - thanks to Michael Gregoire at blocSonic. The artbook and variey of download options for both audio and art are a great touch.

Thanks to everyone that helped with the Strike the Root project. Lessig’s curation coming next!

Anyone else want to put together a collection — themed, genre, favorites — for Strike the Root? There are soo many good tracks…:D

permalink   musikpirat Fri, Aug 5, 2011 @ 7:14 AM
The release has been removed… :(

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Aug 5, 2011 @ 8:55 AM
yea, sadly there was a caes of a misused apostrophe and blocSonic didnt have time to fix it right now so they’ve pulled it until we can find the time to redo everything. bummer :(
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 17, 2011 @ 12:09 PM
Check it out Rootstrikers!

http://tunetrack.net/artistech/blog/posts/501/spotlight-lessig-ccmixters-strike-the-root-concept-album/

Time to shout out to the world that you remixed Lawrence Lessig! Timing couldn’t be better.

Ideas:
Make your own playlists
Encourage others to to the same
Join the ccMixter Listening Lounge
Encourage others to do the same
Post download links to your favorite tracks on twitter and facebook (#ccmixter)

Let’s show off a little bit, we deserve it!

Jason