Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » remix scaffolding

remix scaffolding

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Mon, Apr 13, 2009 @ 6:00 PM
Victor posted this on the ccmixter blog and i thought it made for an interesting topic of discussion….

I have to say I love the idea of “posting what you know” like ATX did with this upload. I don’t know why he/she did this but let’s assume it’s because they specialize in making simple cut & program beats. For someone like me, who dreads the beatmaking process, sometimes that’s all you need.

It borders of online collaboration (which most of you know I don’t hold in very high regard) but by opening it up this way it jumps the highest hurdle for some of us.

Thoughts?

and my thoughts were…..

i actually this this is a great topic for broader discussion, and think i’m going to go start a forum topic about it. i think this idea not only opens up many new opportunities for what i’ll call “good remixing”, i think it will inspire in new ways.

i say this also as i recently did a couple radiotimes remixes where i hoped somebody would pick up where i left off. i can understand why the didn’t but i would have loved having a rhodes or some horns on either.

so to further that, i think it’s a great idea if more people wanted to create “remix scaffolds” as Victor puts it, frameworks for further development, virtual bands per se. i mentioned i thought this could also serve to inspire, much like the recent remix i did for Snowflake inspired me to set up my recording rig and play guitar and bass (she played a big part in this by posting the arrangement details). i took her 2 tracks and built the beats, then imported that mix into protools and played along to it. her vocals and piano inspired me.

and as i mentioned, i like the idea of having someone add something more, in a better way than i might be capable.
Subliminal
permalink   Tue, Apr 14, 2009 @ 8:47 AM
Most of the time I am capable of starting a new song, but I have a hard time at finishing most of those beginnings. This idea of remix scaffolds could be a way to let someone else have a go at it (at least if I understand things correctly). On the other hand I have my doubts if most of those unfinished pieces would be of interest to anyone else.
vo1k1
permalink   Wed, Apr 15, 2009 @ 7:01 AM
Absolutely. Some structure to support people collaborating in different roles is a very interesting idea. Maybe a ccmixter take on indabamusic.com’s sessions?
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, May 19, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
The part I hate the most about making a new song is creating drum parts. I am not good at it, and I don’t enjoy it. But I do it when I have to.

So needless to say, the idea of someone taking something I’ve done, and adding something they are both better at than I, and which they enjoy doing more than I… well, it makes the whole process more interesting and appealing to me.

Contribute not just what you know, but what you actually like doing.
teru
permalink   Tue, May 19, 2009 @ 12:06 PM
From what you guys are talking about, I can’t help but think of Kompoz.com

If you’re looking to complete a song, Kompoz may be more efficient. I would say Kompoz is more single-project oriented, ccM is based on a perpetual remixing concept. Please upload the samples here after you’re done. : )