Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Do a good deed, help an UberNewb out.

Do a good deed, help an UberNewb out.

Spanky_McFister
permalink   Mon, Apr 23, 2007 @ 9:22 PM
Hello board users, I ask you this (humbly).
What is a good “basic” music creation program to let me get my feet wet with that is’nt very complicated.
The kind where I can layer sample and tracks on a timeline to create a tune.
Thank you very much in advance.
Sawtooth
permalink   Mon, Apr 23, 2007 @ 10:55 PM
If you have a Mac: Garageband.

If you have Windows: Fruityloops.

Those’re pretty basic.

permalink   plurgid Mon, May 7, 2007 @ 10:32 PM
I second sawtooth. GarageBand is incredibly powerful. It’s basically Logic, then Apple came along and removed every possible thing in the GUI that could be confusing.

There are some limitations, but if your a noob you’re not going to run into them for a while, and for $79 … I mean hell … buy a mac mini to go with it and you’re not too far out of the ballpark of FL Studio + a nice sound card.
Luke Tripp
permalink   Tue, Apr 24, 2007 @ 1:24 PM
If you’re looking for some good free multitrack editors like Adobe, or something

Try
Audacity
or
KRISTAL (little bit more limited with editing)

But ya, I think you’re looking for something like Garageband or FruityLoops, for sequencing and looping.
gurdonark
permalink   Thu, Apr 26, 2007 @ 10:03 PM
I use magix audio 10, which is about 20something dollars these days at the discount on-line software houses. It’s very easy to use, and has flexibility, so that it does not “feel” like value software.

If you’d like to go even simpler, the Sawcutter 2.0 synthesizer from www.cuttermusic.com is easy to use, allows you to record your songs, and yet costs 25 dollars. Its wave file sampling features allow you to vary the sounds without a lot of synth knowledge. My remix “randy” is an example of a sawcutter song.