Watch the Songbirds Event Livestream Replay
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Ocean Dreams Remix Event

Ocean Dreams Remix Event

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sun, Jun 12, 2022 @ 1:24 PM
OCEAN DREAMS REMIX EVENT

The sea is like music, it has all the dreams of the soul within itself and sounds them over.Carl Jung, Memories and Dreams

The sea is the favorite symbol for the unconscious, the mother of all that lives.Carl Jung, Special Phenomenology; Part IV; Psyche & Symbol

The world’s oceans are vast, expansive, deep, alluring, full of life and life’s potential, a complex environment of danger, mystery, and inspiration. Oceans separate and connect us. These bodies of water hold the beginnings of all life in its molecules. Oceans evoke contemplation, wonder. They symbolise the unconscious.

But the sea
which no one tends
is also a garden

-William Carlos Williams, Pictures from Brueghel and Other Poems

Today’s oceans and its majestic creatures like whales are in danger as the health of ocean ecosystems is threatened by development, shoreline energy operations, overfishing, warming waters, and plastic.

For most of history, man has had to fight nature to survive; in this century he is beginning to realize that, in order to survive, he must protect it.
-Jacques-Yves Cousteau

As a continuation of and in support of World Ocean’s Day — and those who are dedicated to ocean conservation — we invite you to express your dreams of, and for, the ocean and its inhabitants.

With inspiration from a newly released whale song “ Full Moon Acappella” from ocean conservationist Oscar Frey, a meditative spoken word from SackJo22, Dreaming Oceans, and brought to life with your music, the remixes for this event will be featured as a sonic installation and soundscape for the dream-art show that is a beloved feature of the annual dream conference sponsored by the International Association for the Study of Dreams (IASD).

On June 14 the Strawberry Moon will rise, her reflection illuminating the seas. What dreams does she bring? As Oscar tells us, the whales often gather to sing as the pull of the moon causes the tides to rise. Moon. Ocean. Whales. Dreams. How inspiring!

In addition to featuring this music live at the IASD dream art show July 17 through July 20 (the night of the artist reception), a curation of whale song from this and our prior whale song event will be released as an album.

PELLS
SAMPLES
REMIXES
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Jun 14, 2022 @ 10:27 AM
What an inspiring event! Thank you Susan and Oscar for giving us this opportunity to create music and sonic art around such powerful subjects.
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Mon, Jun 20, 2022 @ 5:14 PM
Blog Post Is Live!

CcMixter Blog
martinsea
permalink   Sat, Jun 25, 2022 @ 4:49 AM
This article may also be of interest:
Oceanic thinking
Cheers
Martin

permalink   SackJo22 Thu, Jun 30, 2022 @ 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing.
septahelix
permalink   Wed, Jul 13, 2022 @ 3:54 AM
man I enjoyed the first whale event and this second one has been just a delightful explosion of creativity. Awesome!

permalink   Kara Square Sat, Jul 16, 2022 @ 12:03 PM
Fantastic! I am so with you. Hearing everyone’s remixes has been exciting and inspiring!
septahelix
permalink   Thu, Jul 14, 2022 @ 6:31 PM
how is this album going to be released? I don’t have a CD player. I’m assuming this will be released digitally somehow. Can we get some more info about this please?

permalink   Kara Square Sat, Jul 16, 2022 @ 12:01 PM
Hey! You assumed correctly, it will be a digital release on all of the major digital music sites. We’ll be working with the Whale Wizard on the curation. And we’ll be sure to keep everyone posted about the album release in the forums.

permalink   septahelix Sat, Jul 16, 2022 @ 12:11 PM
wow! ok. cool.

permalink   septahelix Sat, Jul 16, 2022 @ 1:48 PM
there’s like 63 remixes though! I guess they’ll have to pick the best ones…

permalink   septahelix Sun, Jul 17, 2022 @ 10:46 AM
now I fear this has become like a musical game of the the TV show Chopped. there are over 100 remixes combined between the two whale remix events. I’m assuming only about 12-14 will make on an album’s worth of music. Man that’s heavy. I would hate to be the one or ones picking the tracks.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jul 18, 2022 @ 9:46 AM
Curating is a difficult task! And when doing an album collection like this, the way the different songs sound together also becomes a factor. Your Chopped comparison gave me a smile… but truly, this isn’t so hardcore. :)

permalink   septahelix Mon, Jul 18, 2022 @ 11:05 AM
lol thank you Kara.

but seriously, we could make a snowflake remix album or two on top of this, and probably one for you too!

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Jul 19, 2022 @ 6:11 AM
We’ve released a few over the years… look up ccMixter on your favorite music site. 😊 https://ccmixter.bandcamp.com/

permalink   septahelix Tue, Jul 19, 2022 @ 8:19 AM
cool! I wanna do one! there should be a best of septahelix or something like that. ya’ll get to pick ‘em. speck too, and a whole lot more!

although I guess I have to contribute more original content perhaps. I’ll try to work on that.
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, Jul 21, 2022 @ 5:23 PM
Thank you everyone for participating in this special project!

Our music was a highlight of the art show which is a much loved feature of the annual dream conference sponsored by the International Association for the Study of Dreams.

The playlist streamed through a gorgeous speaker that has great sound whenever the art room was open. Our set up included an ipad to display the ccmixter.org webpage for our event, as well as a printout of our announcement. (If I knew how, I would insert a photo here for you to see.)

People appreciated everything about this project: the quality of sound, the diversity of sound, the whales, the voices. The power of connecting the way we do through music cannot be overstated.

You helped open up a new world of expression to the dream community through this event. I anticipate receiving more dreams to share at ccMixter for remixing which I will continue to share under the Dreamers account.

Thank you again beloved ccMixter community. We inspired a lot of people this week.

permalink   septahelix Thu, Jul 21, 2022 @ 6:29 PM
Awesome! I had so much fun remixing these samples and listening to where other people took them. More from the dreamers account sounds wonderful.