spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Apr 16, 2019 @ 1:36 PM

Temperate Transitions Secret Mixter!

O for a draught of vintage, that hath been
Cooled a long age in the deep-delved earth,
Tasting of Flora and the country green…

~John Keats

Change upon change, every little surge of energy compliments the blossoming of spring (or the colors of autumn in the south). The secrets of Temperate Transitions will be revealed like mysteries of a fading darkness.

Sign-up until April 28 when assignments will be delivered by secret post. You’ll then have until May 12th to delve into the flora and earth of your assignment, to create something newly green and colorful.

Shine your light with us and join in the remix event of the season. Transitioning with music will surely brighten your days.

Join The Event Here
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Apr 16, 2019 @ 2:00 PM

SuperBloom in Southern California this year.

The hills are alive…with the sound of …muuuuuusssic!

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Apr 16, 2019 @ 3:13 PM
Beautiful! Our crocus have come and gone now… but the purple phlox are starting to bloom.

Have I ever told you that my dad constantly belts that song?!!! It’s one of the few songs that he remembers!
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Apr 16, 2019 @ 2:34 PM

permalink   Kara Square Tue, Apr 16, 2019 @ 3:10 PM
Ooooooo… makes me excited to hear everyone’s mixes.
Speck
permalink   Wed, Apr 17, 2019 @ 2:54 AM
Just a friendly question/heads up - So it’s Temperate? The banner and the page that it leads to (and the sign-up confirmation box) says Temperature.

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Apr 17, 2019 @ 10:21 AM
It was a temporary error in the temporal lobe translating transitional thoughts into type. Thanks for the tip. Fixed!

permalink   spinningmerkaba Wed, Apr 17, 2019 @ 10:25 AM
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Tue, Apr 30, 2019 @ 8:47 AM
I’m stoked aboout my secret mix assignment. Ive got a good flow going and hope to finish soon!
musicbrain
permalink   Sun, May 12, 2019 @ 4:01 AM
Today is upload day, and I am deeply sorry to not being able to upload anything. In fact, I’ve spent 2 days and nights literally to find a way to mix something from my assignment’s uploads. Alas, it wasn’t possible for me to get to a result that I would call satisfying let alone representable.

I am very frustrated, and I want to share this with you. I also have a suggestion for improvement.

I see 2 causes for my frustrating experience. First of all, just as with the winter mix I was assigned to someone who only uploads mp3 and no stems at all, plus in this case the mp3 being in low quality. The mixes of my assignment are very dense too. If I look at their waves I can not see much of dynamic ranges and no stops/pauses at all, it’s a continuous flow of a sound of wall. I picked an upload which sounded a bit more doable than the others, but still…
Here kicks in the second cause for my problems: I am not a pro mixer. I have a fairly good knowledge about stuff in theory, and my practical knowledge with Audacity is quite good for an amateur. Yet, a pro would know how to get their hooks into that piece of mp3 and still do something with it, where I simply fail.

For future secret mixter events I have a suggestion which in my opinion would improve the event. I’d suggest that only those community members are taking part in the event who are uploading stems too. Imaging the fun it would be to play around with high quality and truly reusable material!

I am curious what you think.

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, May 12, 2019 @ 3:16 PM
DM the admin team who your assignment was. I will see they get a mix. We don’t leave anyone behind ever, and I make sure everyone knows the great feeling of seeing a new take on their work.

People who sign up are supposed to have samples. That said, it is always possible to make something a mix. Always. It may not be in your comfort zone.

But that’s also what is so awesome about secret mixter. Getting outside your comfort zone is where you dance on the wire and maybe do your best work.
In future if you sign up for secret mixter, pledge to yourself that you’ll do a mix no matter what. That fierce determination to get it done is where you find your best work.

permalink   Admiral Bob Sun, May 12, 2019 @ 3:27 PM
With respect to taking apart an mp3 that is fully mixed. You can use an expander as the reverse of a limiter - this lets you inject some dynamics back into it.

You can use an EQ or a Lo-pass or hi-pass to carve out frequencies from the original and leave you room to add something new. The human voice has fundamental frequencies at 100-250 hz and harmonics at a few other spots. Knock those out and you can stuff a voice in. Other instruments have similar structure and you can look at their waveforms to look at what to knock out of the original.

Also - you don’t have to use the whole thing. If there are quieter less busy parts of an mp3, just loop that. I frequently do that when I am stuck with a whole mix for a remix.

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 4:19 AM
Some artists may have so many remixes that you just *think* they don’t have samples. That was the case here - the assignment actually has a very large number of stem samples that have not been peaked with a limiter or mixed in with something else. This was one of the easiest rescue remixes I’ve ever done, there were so many good samples.

Here is how you see an artist’s page with only the samples:

- go to the artist page (click their name.)
- Click “Edit tags”
- Browse for “sample”
- Click it.

Every track you now see does contain stems - even if it is a full mix, they have also uploaded individual sound files.

permalink   musicbrain Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 5:06 AM
Hi Admiral Bob, thank you for all your tips and hints. In particular I didn’t know about the search routine for samples. I will make use of this in the future.

permalink   Speck Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 5:50 AM
Hey, I didn’t know about that way to find samples either. And I’ve been here for ten years. It is indeed very helpful. I wonder how many others are unaware of it. Perhaps it could be highlighted, or at least mentioned, in the instructions of the next Secret Mixter event.

permalink   Admiral Bob Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 11:51 AM
A how to secret mixter video might be in order. People love videos :)

permalink   ScOmBer Fri, May 31, 2019 @ 2:17 AM
Me too! Never ever had seen the Edit tags button. Makes me laugh looking at the tags I’ve dropped in the last 12 years. Everything from “big butts” to “Tibet”! Awesome discovery tool!

permalink   Apoxode Fri, May 31, 2019 @ 1:50 PM
Also, if you go to “ccmixter.org/tags/” you can narrow down your search of everything available.

permalink   musicbrain Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 12:08 PM
Quote: Admiral Bob

Here is how you see an artist’s page with only the samples:

- go to the artist page (click their name.)
- Click “Edit tags”
- Browse for “sample”
- Click it.

The “edit tags” button is so small and placed at an obscure position that it’s no wonder this function is kind of a secret. Once found is does help indeed.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, May 13, 2019 @ 1:06 PM
The beta site also has a very simple way to find stems — go to the artist page and then click “Stems” in the secondary nav.

http://beta.ccmixter.org/pe...

permalink   martinsea Tue, May 14, 2019 @ 2:17 AM
Good to know,maybe the button could be renamed ” Search by tags”
Best, Martin