Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » I'm not a professional

I'm not a professional

Bearfoot
permalink   Thu, Jan 20, 2005 @ 2:21 PM
And I’d personally appreciate some clarifaction on things like the difference between a "Cut-up" and a complete remix.

I don’t plan on performing or otherwise distrubiting my work outside of "Hey, can you take a listen to what I got?"

I’m doing this purely for my own entertainment.

In other words a FAQ regarding the actual content instead of the "Is it legal" section.

(Boy, did I just scream "n00b!" Or what there? :P Oh, well, we were all new once, eh?)
admin
permalink   Thu, Jan 20, 2005 @ 4:34 PM
Thanks Bearfoot,

Suggestion definitely noted because no, getting confused over the genre or process terminology is hardly just a problem for those new to the field.

As far as I understand it, the folks that are running the contests are looking for "highly transformative" re-workings — hence the sentence "Let your imagination run wild - and get creative!" in the contest descriptions. You can freely interpret the word "creative" to mean: "really different from the original"

The rest (the definition of the terms ‘remix’ and ‘cut-up’) can lead to some interesting, if highly emotional and subjective debates.

Hope this helps while we consider a "content faq."

Victor
Bearfoot
permalink   Thu, Jan 20, 2005 @ 8:27 PM
Fair enough…

It’s just that this is the first time I’ve ever heard the term "Cut up" used as a musical term.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I look forward to being let loose in the proverbial sandbox to play.
admin
permalink   Thu, Jan 20, 2005 @ 8:53 PM

This is probably the best cut-up (imvho) ever:

http://www.djfood.org/rt20c...

Victor
Bearfoot
permalink   Fri, Jan 21, 2005 @ 9:11 PM
Good stuff. And considering that I listened to it a couple times it HAS to be.. :D
creativelycommon
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2005 @ 9:29 AM
so, how did he acquire rights to all this material?

favorite part: justin timberlake -> kraftwerk :D
admin
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2005 @ 9:41 AM
Quote: so, how did he acquire rights to all this material?

Based on nothing I’ve always assumed he didn’t — that this is a boot.
admin
permalink   Tue, Feb 1, 2005 @ 12:27 PM
So I have a confession to make:

I’ve haven’t heard "Raiding" in about half a year since it was first broadcast. It’s changed! This version is very talky with narration that is kind of, well, silly. Sorry about that. The original is primarily the music with the interview clips with Lennon, Burroughs and others . I burned it somewhere but digging it up is going to be difficult. Still, it’s a great compendium of what mashes and cut-ups are out there.

Victor
cinematrik
permalink   Sun, Feb 20, 2005 @ 12:21 PM
FWIW, I’ve always thought of a "cut-up" as sampling the finished song to use in a new one, while a "remix" uses the individual tracks from a song in a new one.

But I don’t know that for sure, so don’t quote me!