Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » electric guitar sampling tips?

electric guitar sampling tips?

Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Mon, Jan 2, 2006 @ 12:53 PM
Happy New Year everybody!

I recently bought my first electric guitar that I intend to play at night after kids are asleep via headphones (my acoustic has awoken them a couple times). I also intend to experiment with sampling the guitar. Given these two main uses, what other pieces do y’all think I’ll need to go along with it? Although I think I would love playing loud, I don’t know that I’ll have much chance (no good space for it after hours) to use a decent sized tube amp (not loudly anyway). I already have a direct box, a dated & cheap Alesis effects unit, and a cheap mixer I can plug my headphones into, and it sounds OK. But I was thinking of trying to pick up a used small amp with headphone jack & built-in effects (including cabinet simulation) like one of the the little Roland microcubes maybe. I was also looking at trying to find a used Zoom multi-effects (RFX1100, RFX2000, RFX2200), because it would also give me some mic simulation that I could use for vocals.

For electric guitar sampling, what works best for y’all? Straight in and then software effects, or hardware effects? It seems like hardware will be the way to go, because you can hear and actively refine the processed sound without latency hell or iterative record, process, repeat… But I’m not very experienced, so I may be off in my assumptions.

Thanks….. .. .
EcHo2K
permalink   Sun, Jan 8, 2006 @ 1:51 PM
the guy that play guitar in my band uses a real tube preamp in studio (to get that full sound) but live we use a PodXT, it’s about 500 euros, and i have to admit that it really sound well, it’s a standard multieffect, plus amp and cabinet simulator and has both balanced and unbalanced out (so you can plug it straight in the pc)

of course you can always plug your guitar in you pc and use any of the softwares like Amplitube, Guitar Rig, SansAmp, etc.
PorchCat
permalink   Fri, Jan 20, 2006 @ 12:18 AM
Quote: the guy that play guitar in my band uses a real tube preamp in studio (to get that full sound) but live we use a PodXT, it’s about 500 euros, and i have to admit that it really sound well, it’s a standard multieffect, plus amp and cabinet simulator and has both balanced and unbalanced out (so you can plug it straight in the pc)

of course you can always plug your guitar in you pc and use any of the softwares like Amplitube, Guitar Rig, SansAmp, etc.

For a bit more inexpensive option, a diligent searcher can find used BlueTube preamps at reasonable prices (solid state with a “warm” tube kind of sound).

*meow*
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Sun, Jan 29, 2006 @ 9:21 PM
thanks for the tips….still enjoying the new sound….I’m looking at the small practice amps that model various cabinets….there’s a relatively new one from Vox, for example….. .. .
zotz
permalink   Mon, Feb 6, 2006 @ 8:31 AM
Quote: Happy New Year everybody!

For electric guitar sampling, what works best for y’all? Straight in and then software effects, or hardware effects? It seems like hardware will be the way to go, because you can hear and actively refine the processed sound without latency hell or iterative record, process, repeat… But I’m not very experienced, so I may be off in my assumptions.

Thanks….. .. .

I hope you have prosperous one.

This is not necessarily to your specs but it may prove interesting:

I recently bought a thinamp dsp 10 (haven’t had much chance to put it through its paces yet though) - Google links.

I also have a Yamaha MG16/6FX Which I sometimes use for getting my stuff in. That has some hardware effects as well.

I also have my eye on one of the Alesis Mutlimix usb boys. (mixer with preamps and effects and usb soundcard in one.)

My thoughts on recording tracks (especially for re-use/remixing) is to record with as little processing as possible to allow for the maximum flexibility from there on. I am still at the very beginning stages of learning the craft though, so I may change my mind with more exprience.

Good luck.

all the best,

drew