Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Bugs » Sticky Playback in Playlists

Sticky Playback in Playlists

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Thu, Jul 8, 2010 @ 7:17 PM
I notice at times when I play all tracks in a playlist, some tracks will be skipped over and when I go back to play them, I may have to click on the speaker icon several times to get it to play. I haven’t really noticed a pattern but this is a bit concerning, especially when I curate playlists for the Mixin Kitchen. Any ideas?
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Thu, Jul 8, 2010 @ 8:00 PM
I have also experienced this, and I haven’t verified it with assurance, but I believe it may have to do with the size of the mp3. 128k files seem to stream without stalling or skipping the player, but 256k or 320k seem to cause the issue.

For this reason, I’ve started uploaded 128k mp3 files for mix previews, and a lossless (flac) or 320k mp3 file in addition, for those that wish to download and listen at a higher quality.

Anyone else notice this?
go1dfish
permalink   Mon, Jul 12, 2010 @ 3:48 PM
I suspect flash (or ccmixters specific flash player) is to blame.

We’re looking into a solution, but the more we can reproduce the issue, the easier it will be to find.

In the meantime if anyone spots a file that repeatedly fails, link to it in this thread so we can check it out.

To a large degree, its up to the uploader to make sure their file plays back right.

I think the best bitrate for your streaming samples is 128k cbr mp3s at 44.1khz. This works on most networks (even some cellular ones). and sounds better than FM radio.

Unfortunately, what works well for streaming, doesnt work well for remixing, and vice versa.

128k mp3s suck for remixing though. This is why submissions support multiple file types.

On that note, free recommends from me for anyone who posts decent drum tracks in FLAC format with streaming mp3 sample.

permalink   essesq Thu, Aug 12, 2010 @ 7:50 AM
I use Garageband and just noticed that do have some control over what I do with my mp3 encoding. If I go custom I can increase the bitrate quite substantially and use VBR. Would this improve the quality of my pellas for remixing? I think mp3 is the only viable option I have for exporting unless I get into multi-stage rendering processes, and as many around here know I’m way too lazy for that :-).

permalink   go1dfish Thu, Aug 12, 2010 @ 10:07 AM
Yep VBR will give you better quality per megabyte than CBR for the same bitrate.

This is espescially true for stems, VBR gives the most dynamic parts of the track the most headroom, and then scales back for quiet/monotonous parts (like pure silence) that are easy to encode.

And yeah, last time I checked out garage band I don’t recall it having any lossless export options at all, not even wav/aiff.

If your stuck with MP3’s throughout, you can get rid of most of the quality issues by jacking the bitrate up really high, but these don’t work well for streaming.