Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Playback Question

Playback Question

SackJo22
admin
permalink   Sat, Aug 29, 2009 @ 5:59 PM
Is it conceivable to have the playback on a song open in a separate player so that the song will continue to play even if I were to click to a different page. For example, if I go to the page of a song and play it, but then want to read the reviews or leave a review, the song would continue to play instead of being closed when I left that page.
teru
permalink   Sat, Aug 29, 2009 @ 6:44 PM
Have you tried opening a new browser window or tab? I usually have one tab playing while I browse on another.

Right click on any link > open new tab.

Lo-tech, but it works for me. :)

permalink   SackJo22 Sat, Aug 29, 2009 @ 7:13 PM
I actually do that. However, I know some people (who will go unnamed at this point) who have mentioned this to me, and who would never think to do that.
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   victor Mon, Aug 31, 2009 @ 12:16 AM
the61 does it well and it’s on my list of things to do to investigate how they do it.

It should not be too gut wrenching - the latest version of cchost allows for different media players to be swapped in for the ‘native’ one we currently use.
s.c.mixer
permalink   Sun, Aug 30, 2009 @ 3:03 PM
It’s not my case because I prefer to use streaming rather than online playing, but (coincidentally) I’ve also been noticed of this “issue” by other people.

I know it’s a *lot* of work to make it work fine, though, so I’m not requesting the feature but seems like a valuable thing for occasional (and possibly non-techie) ccMixter visitors.
aliteralmind
permalink   Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 6:10 PM
My opinion is to do what google does (google?). One link that opens the result in the same window, and another link, right next to it, that opens the same result in a separate window.

An external-window player could have a few more bells and whistles, given it has an entire screen. However, I’d probably stick with the in-window player, and open new tabs myself. Do it all the time.