Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Couple of questions

Couple of questions

Vidian
permalink   Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
Hello. I dont use this forum as much as I should :\
I am going to try to change that a I try to get into the art in Toronto :)

But anyway, First question.
I want to make a weekly PODCAST for Zietguist and I need music fillers :O Can I use CCmixter music to form all the music in my cast?? I will link to the artists, from and to CCmixter, but do I have to ask permission from each artist???

Another thing I wanted to ask… I HAVE A LOT OF MUSIC.

Most of it was from when I was learning, and a lot of people gave me a lot of advice, but I would like my gallery to be more professional, with a lot less songs.. I want to delete a bunch of old ones.. (Im sure the CC servers would thanks me too :D) But I have a lot of comments and links to and from some of those songs, also people have used samples too. What would happen if I deleted them????????
teru
permalink   Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:38 AM
Hey Vidian,

Using ccM music for (non-commercial) podcasts is allowed and encouraged. The beauty of the CC license is that you do not require any further permission from the artist for such use. The Terms do include attribution so linking to the tracks is fine.

When you delete, you will lose all the track-backs, reviews and comments. It is also permanent so be sure.

Have you thought of creating a playlist of the tracks you want to showcase? Or maybe adding a tag like Scomber365 did?

I hope this helps.

Good luck in TO.

permalink   Vidian Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 12:56 PM
Quote: teru
Have you thought of creating a playlist of the tracks you want to showcase? Or maybe adding a tag like Scomber365 did?

I see Scombers 365 tags but I don’t really know what they are for… o.o

permalink   teru Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 1:09 PM
Tagging is useful for organizing. For example if I wanted to send you a link but only wanted to send specific ones tagged with “throbbing”, I would send you this link.

http://ccmixter.org/tags/throbbing

Or slightly more complicated, by utilizing the query function built into ccM, I could send a link to all tracks by Vidian with the tag “chill”.

http://ccmixter.org/api/query?user=vidian&tags=chill

These are just suggestions if you want to send a organized link to people without having to delete any of your files. : )

permalink   victor Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 2:33 PM
sorry, at the risk of complicating by simplifying:

You don’t need the query function to combine user + tags, the ‘people’ function has that particular magic built in:

/people/vidian/chill

permalink   Vidian Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 2:43 PM
I understand!!
Thank you :D

permalink   Vidian Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 2:44 PM
Oh yeah, that makes so much sense.. Wait.

I can’t add a tag onto someone else’s work can I?

permalink   teru Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 2:51 PM
Nope. If you want to do that you’d have to ask them to add it. : )

permalink   Vidian Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 3:28 PM
Quote: teruNope. If you want to do that you’d have to ask them to add it. : )

Ok then. I think I’ll make playlists for the songs I use then, and any song I use of mine, (if I do) I’ll add a tag for it.

Thanks for the help buddy :)

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 5:33 PM
Quote: VidianNope. If you want to do that you’d have to ask them to add it. : )

Ok then. I think I’ll make playlists for the songs I use then, and any song I use of mine, (if I do) I’ll add a tag for it.

Thanks for the help buddy :)

another option. you can’t add a tag to someone else’s remix or upload, but you can add your own tags to a playlist of someone else’s material.

for instance, i just put together a playlist of admiralbob77 remixes i’ve done, and added the tag admiralbob77 to the playlist. if someone searches the tag “admiralbob77”, the playlist will come up in the search results.

permalink   Vidian Thu, Mar 26, 2009 @ 2:28 PM
Oh, nifty. :D
I’ll tag everyone in the playlist for the Zcast !!
*** Topic deleted by author ***

permalink   Subliminal Wed, Mar 25, 2009 @ 11:31 PM
I agree. Especially compared to that certain site that won’t be mentioned here…

permalink   Vidian Thu, Mar 26, 2009 @ 2:30 PM
What?
Why?
Who is Fourstones??
Who’s who?

Is he the admin?
Who made CCmixter anyway??
If I meet who did, they should expect a hug :)

permalink   teru Thu, Mar 26, 2009 @ 2:42 PM
For the answers to these questions and more…… check out:

http://fourstones.net/ccmixter-a-memoir

: )