Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Re yor music and broadcast/non broadcast licensing

Re yor music and broadcast/non broadcast licensing

Doghouse Riley
permalink   Tue, Aug 5, 2008 @ 8:21 PM
I don’t know ifn it’ll help anyone at all but this here “Sarah” postin seekin music for her project made me thank that some a you might be interested in just what kinda geetus you can make for “rentin” out yor ol magnum opuses. My shop pays yearly for resellable usage licenses for several “broadcast/non-broadcast music libraries” as well as havin our own library to “rent”. As we are a non-union state our rates are a tad lower than some around these ol United States but we charge $75.00 for a :30 or :60 spot cut and $100 per minute for long form library music usage. A course, custom music is a whole nother universe and we bid/bill that on a one-off turnkey basis. That bein said, by way of example a 10 minute industrial film score would probably come in at about $5000.00. Yor milage may vary but don’t hesitate ta contact me ifn yor unsure of what ta charge for a project somebodies offerin ya. Hell, ya can work fer nothin ifn ya got a mind to. But that then becomes the price ever body else will expect ya ta charge. Be wary of the word “exposure” chillun. You can die from that ;-)
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Tue, Aug 5, 2008 @ 11:20 PM
well you don’t sound like a dummy and you certainly don’t mix like a dummy so i’m curious why you talk like one.

just saying, i got nothing but respect for your chops dog, but sometimes it’s hard to take you seriously when i have to read through all the hillbilly clutter. but who am i to talk, considering my name.

permalink   Doghouse Riley Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 8:38 AM
Let me think. How to begin. Ahem. While it is true we hillfolk are one of the last bastions of cultural groups for whom it is still societally acceptable to ridicule and mock without fear of reprisal from those who view themselves “politically correct” those who do so are still misguided fart-blossoms with prehensile, tiny brain stems no bigger’n a number two pencil. Any good fellow no matter how naive or well-intentioned who would equate “hillbilly” with “ignorance” does not have a very broad based or well rounded world view. It is quite akin to saying “all blacks have rhythm” or “all muslims are terrorists”. That way lies madness. This said it has become so commonplace in todays world that most of the time the demeaning of “hillbillys” is simply overlooked with benign indifference. Mores the pity. While, as hopefully you now see, I can, if I wish, speak (or, more accurately, write)in a different idiom it is not one that truly suits me as…and this may come as a shock to you…I was born and actually reside in the “hill country” and I and my kith and kin can rightly and truly bear the appellation “hillbilly” without remorse or shame. We find, and you yourself might find it also, amusing yet telling that many of our phrasic “shortcuts”, i.e. “he’s as crazy as a peach orchard boar” or “adam’s off ox” encapsulate profound and multi-layered ideas with great precision and economy. Far from being “cluttered”, if I may borrow your phrase. In any case my own reflection on this matter tells me that it is not only acceptable but necessary to cast “pearls before swine” because, as we all know (or should) you have to have a swine to show you where the truffles are. I hope this has put your mind at ease, ol pal. And I look forward to both your work and your responces to mine in the future.

Yor Ol Pal,
Doghouse

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 9:36 AM
Can’t….stop…laughing…LOLOLOLOL!!!!

ohmygod….

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:16 AM
no worries. i’m not trying to ruffle any tail feathers here. but shouldn’t it be dawghouse?

permalink   Doghouse Riley Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:40 AM
Wail, you can put a blouse on me and call me Hortense ifn ya want there MC, ol pal. And any spellin ya like is fine by me. But really, “dawg”house is, again the non-southern-unenlightened-learned-all-they-know-about-southerners-from-watchin-cartoons spellin. We seldom use it ourownselves.

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:47 AM
i learned about southern culture from ernest t. bass. actually, i grew up in virginia, but the andy griffith show remains in my top 5 TV shows of all time.

permalink   gurdonark Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 9:23 PM
I love the Andy griffith show, too, but I must admit that in Gurdon, Arkansas we pretty much lived southern culture.

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:50 AM
As son of the South myself, this convo is just ticklin’ me to death!!! We still got love for ya, Mc Jack! BTW, great job on the Cool Music show!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 11:56 AM
thankee. i noticed you listened to the madrugada track so i was hoping you heard it from there. :)

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:22 PM
Yup, I heard that amazing song on your show! I also need to get a voice-over to your show ASAP! I wanna be one of the cool kids! LOLOL!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 12:25 PM
i would love to have a radio promo from you when you have a chance. thanks!!

you too dawghouse! ;)

permalink   duckett Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 2:17 PM
Plenty of people think Cyndi Lauper doesn’t have a lot upstairs due to her accent; but I’m willing to bet she finds it useful to screen out people who focus on the superficial. I’ve got family in Georgia for whom the word “ribs” has two syllables when spoken aloud, but that never stopped them from earning multiple degrees, working for NASA, etc. Granted, if it turned out DR was born and raised in Quebec, I’d be annoyed- but as it stands, how he expresses himself is fine as frog’s hair- the text equivalent of dropping peanuts in your bottle of RC cola…

permalink   Doghouse Riley Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 2:26 PM
Quebec? Moi? Non!!

And personally I prefer them little bitty Co-Colas they don’t make no more. Planters peanuts tho.

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 2:27 PM
uh……What were we talkin’ ‘bout again…?!?! *wink!*

permalink   duckett Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 3:10 PM
Planter’s definitely! I think the little bottles went away about the same time as soda machines with a bottle-opener built-in…

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 3:15 PM
NUTS!!!! Right….LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Wed, Aug 6, 2008 @ 3:18 PM
you can still get the little bottles of coke in mexico. with pure cane sugar. :)

permalink   essesq Thu, Aug 7, 2008 @ 8:12 AM
I don’t know where in this multi-layered discussion this reply will turn up but let me just interject what I believe the nature of the “issue” with Mr. Riley’s choice of linguistic expression is. It isn’t that talking like a whatever is making him sound stupid, it’s that understanding him is too hard for some. I feel especially sorry for those on this site who speak English (whether the Queen’s or the Yankee’s) as a second or third language. Doghouse’s posts and comments are full of idiomatic expressions that mean more than the literal meaning of the words that compose them and his syntax is different than what they are used to. His manner of speaking may make some feel stupid because they can’t get at what he is saying which is quite the reverse of saying that he himself sounds stupid.

Alas this is the internet and people have the right to be whomever they please and the rest of the net has to take them the way they find them. If it’s a chore to understand Mr. Riley his words will fall on deaf ears and I guess that’s a risk he’s willing to take to maintain the persona that best represents him here. Seeing it that way I say more power to him.

I also find it odd that people who use terminology unique to musos (like the term “muso” itself) would come down on anyone else using some other form of specialized language. For instance, “chops” to me are either movements used in martial arts or a cut of meat. The use of the term “vibe” also still baffles me. Why don’t you just say “you play great piano” or something? OK enough on this topic.

permalink   duckett Thu, Aug 7, 2008 @ 12:44 PM
Funny you mention the whole “muso” thing. Apparently there’s an Australian gentleman who sees fit to use my name in promoting his remixes… I’m not outrageously miffed, but a little communication might at least signify a smidgen of respect, as opposed to thoughtless exploitation…

permalink   Doghouse Riley Thu, Aug 7, 2008 @ 1:12 PM
Wail, thank ya there, I think, probly, perhaps, maybe fer them kind words essssessssssssq, ol pal. And lemme just say that I, my ownself, realize just how big of a self-absored egotistical ass munch I probly appear to those folks who either a) couldn’t understand me ifn ya put a gun to their heads or b) don’t wanna take the time ta try even tho they’d like to or c) those who thank I’m nothin but an idiot so why bother. And my take on that is the same as yors: Screw me and the horse I rode in on!! Where do I get off anyways?? Why am I so goddamned special as to deign to talk in my native idiom?? How smart do ya thank I feel tryin ta read Frainch, ta name but one foreign language I don’t know? Not very I can tell ya. But who’s fault is that? MINE!!! So I say, with all humility, get over it Doghouse! But then I thank, oh yea, I already have.
John Pazdan
permalink   Thu, Aug 7, 2008 @ 6:33 AM
What’s the name of your company, and where are you located?

permalink   Doghouse Riley Thu, Aug 7, 2008 @ 7:04 AM
It’s called The Works and we’re located in Little Rock, Arkansas