Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » Points of Departure

Points of Departure

Bruce H. McCosar
permalink   Tue, Apr 1, 2008 @ 3:46 PM
I have just published my fourth Jamendo album, Points of Departure. The album is of course licensed under Creative Commons. However, since my first day at ccMixter, I’ve planned to release the component tracks here — all of them, if you wish.

Just now, I uploaded the five original tracks that make up the 6th song on the album, “Casualty of the Battle of the Bands.” They are:

1. Bass
2. Guitar (melody)
3. First Synth (Nord 0H4)
4. Second Synth (Nord 2J8)
5. Renoise Percussion Track

I don’t know if they’re going to fly here, but I figured I would try. I’ve offered each of my albums under CC license, and until now, it wasn’t really possible for me to make using them convenient for remixers. Being able to upload the component tracks is great — maybe someone will hear something I missed and bring out something cool and unusual. I hope, anyway.

Well, that’s the thing about Creative Commons, and love in general — you have to set the things you love free if they’re going to live.

Have fun, folks.
teru
permalink   Tue, Apr 1, 2008 @ 4:43 PM
Thank you for sharing Bruce.

In my opinion uploading a MP3 format preview will make it easier for people to find your samples.

Right now it’s a three step process. Download your sample, convert it and then see if it’s what I’m looking for. As opposed to the MP3s on this site where I hit the play button and hear it right away.

Quality is appreciated of course but if you want more people to hear and use your stuff I think a MP3 preview would help.

permalink   Bruce H. McCosar Tue, Apr 1, 2008 @ 4:54 PM
Quote: teruQuality is appreciated of course but if you want more people to hear and use your stuff I think a MP3 preview would help.

Ah! Good point. I guess one trick would be to listen to the mixed track first (sidetrip to Jamendo) to see if anything stands out as interesting. As for the .ogg format, that was my blind spot — I archive everything in .ogg and .flac over here, so it just never dawned on me to try .mp3. Well, experience teaches.

permalink   victor Tue, Apr 1, 2008 @ 5:39 PM
fwiw, Ableton understands ogg and FLAC ;)

but it’s still a good idea to upload a snippet MP3 here so people get a ‘preview’ - you can use ‘Manage Files’ to add these preview mp3.

permalink   Bruce H. McCosar Wed, Apr 2, 2008 @ 2:06 PM
Quote: fourstones
but it’s still a good idea to upload a snippet MP3 here so people get a ‘preview’ - you can use ‘Manage Files’ to add these preview mp3.

It’s done — for each track, I uploaded a 30 second preview of the main part of the song in .mp3 format. Hope I have it right this time!

permalink   teru Tue, Apr 1, 2008 @ 8:26 PM
Just to clarify. I meant what Victor said. The preview only works for MP3s so that’s why I mentioned it. : )
Bruce H. McCosar
permalink   Wed, Apr 9, 2008 @ 8:24 AM
The journey continues. Today I tackled the hardest song to upload, #1, “Falling Into the Dream.” I’ve been working on it since 5:45 am this morning.

The problem is that it’s the longest song on the album, and each track was recorded in stereo (I never see the point in modeling mono to stereo if you have the option of actually generating a stereo signal). I had to set a split point at about 5 minutes for some of the tracks. That’s ok; I wrote extensive notes on the ccMixter pages.

Here are the links:

Group 1: Bass and Percussion
Group 2: Darkpad
Group 3: Lead Guitar
Group 4: Piano
Group 5: Resopad
Group 6: Subtlepad
Group 7: Trem Guitar

Also, for those of you out there with one of those old fashioned manual sequencers (eg the type used by Bartolomeo Cristofori ;-) ), I’ve also included sheet music. If you’re curious, I also posted it to my Wordpress blog:

Falling Into the Dream (pdf, 330K)
Bruce H. McCosar
permalink   Tue, Apr 15, 2008 @ 4:09 PM
Continuing with my series: today I uploaded the original tracks to Vale Avis Tenebrica, the 2nd song on Points of Departure.

There are only four:

1. Bass
2. Hammond organ
3. Piano
4. Rhythm track (an attached zipfile includes the Hydrogen original and MIDI export).

This song is 6/8, T113, and has some very pretty chords (at least to me).