Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Vote for Creative Commons collaboration in the Webware 100!

Vote for Creative Commons collaboration in the Webware 100!

Herewave
permalink   Mon, Feb 25, 2008 @ 4:02 PM
Hey there ccMixters, CNet is holding a content for the best online websites in several categories, including audio. ccMixter isn’t one of the finalists, but CC-lovin’ sites Splice and Kompoz both are! Promote and raise awareness for the Creative Commons here:

http://www.webware.com/html...
duckett
permalink   Wed, Feb 27, 2008 @ 10:58 AM
Um, I don’t even see ccMixter in the list. Am I doing something wrong?
spinmeister
permalink   Wed, Feb 27, 2008 @ 1:17 PM
this raises an interesting question or two about ccMixter. Has anyone heard any additional noise about the possible acquisition of ccMixter? Is it still something being considered? Is it an active search for a new home or is it a passive “we’ll continue as we are until someone good makes an good offer”?

In either case, is it a short term desire and could it be handled to grow the ccMixter user base quickly? If a quick surge in user base couldn’t be handled at this time, then one may choose to deliberately under-market ccMixter. However if there is a desire to grow ccMixter as fast as reasonably possible, then we as ccMixter fans should probably become more organized about contributing to marketing efforts. Like for example making sure that ccMixter gets spots in those kinds of contests, is well known by social networking commentators such as mashable.com, get some coverage by the likes of O’Reilly, etc, etc, etc. That could be a full-time job for one person, but in the current version of ccMixter, it might make more sense to loosely coordinate (e.g. via a special forum) volunteer, grass-root marketing activities by ccMixter members so inclined.

VS probably has some of the answers to those questions although maybe not all of them, since ccMixter is a CC project and some discussions and decisions are probably held inside the CC without VS’ participation. Even in the very best organizations, the front-line leaders don’t always know everything that goes on at head office. ;-)

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 27, 2008 @ 2:21 PM
(quite a left turn to the thread ;))

There are specific legal reasons why I have been kept out of the loop of all discussions and decisions about ccM so I know absolutely zero about it except that the hand-off process is ‘progressing.’

VS

permalink   spinmeister Wed, Feb 27, 2008 @ 2:35 PM
what’s wrong with a little thread jacking amongst friends? :-)

and thanks - I didn’t know that there were formal reasons to actively keep you out of that particular loop. I truly and sincerely hope, that you’ll be an important part of the scene whatever happens.

permalink   victor Wed, Feb 27, 2008 @ 2:30 PM
oh and to address the PR question - my current attitude is that it’s more important to get the music out there than the site. Raising awareness amongst content consumers in general (video makers, podcasters, net labels, etc.) is a precursor to attracting great singers and producers as well as all the PR we would ever want.

Personally I’d rather have 1,000 podcast trackbacks than 100,000 new users.

permalink   gurdonark Fri, Feb 29, 2008 @ 12:16 PM
Quote: “Personally I’d rather have 1,000 podcast trackbacks than 100,000 new users”.

That’s the right spirit. It’s all about sharing the music, and then having the musicians share in turn the podcasts and videos. It’s that viral interchange that makes this all work and grow.

permalink   duckett Fri, Feb 29, 2008 @ 10:53 PM
Absolutely- I honestly think it mostly a question of awareness; if more people could bring themselves to believe there actually was an enormous resource of freely usable, heartfelt musical creativity available in a wide variety of styles, there’d be more trackbacks. It’s just a matter of time and awareness…