Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Listen Count

Listen Count

Loveshadow
permalink   Wed, Oct 10, 2007 @ 4:43 PM
Perhaps this might have been covered before ,but having been a part of other sites i can appreciate that not everyone will rate ( reccomend ) or comment on a mix.

What can be comforting is knowing that at least a mix has been played even if the above applies.

I have seen a few older mixes here that have a single or no comment or reccomend. A play or listen counter with a mix might be a way to show someone out there that their work is at least being played.

Having the choice to hide this on your mixes might also be a nice option.

What do others think ?
victor
permalink   Wed, Oct 10, 2007 @ 5:08 PM
at the beginning of this project the decision was made to reveal direct links to the audio files. (you know free, open)

two side affects of this decision is that 1) it made it impossible to reliably track “popularity” of a track based on access to the file 2) it opened the door to every jelly-brained bot that trolls the world for mp3s.

at the risk of closing things off, that is, closing the door if not locking it, I’m working on a system that forces human interaction to initiate a download.

At that point we’ll have reasonable way of tracking plays, streams and downloads (if people want it).

VS

permalink   Loveshadow Thu, Oct 11, 2007 @ 3:39 AM
Sounds very cool and not surprising you are ahead of the game here.
duckett
permalink   Thu, Oct 11, 2007 @ 5:17 AM
Thanks for bringing this up- it’s been one of those nagging little questions I only remember when I’m nowhere near the ‘puter. When I notice a week or two pass after uploading w/o a review or recommend, I’m tempted to delete it- if no one but me’s feelin’ it, why bother taking up the MBs?
I can always re-post, if by some surreal turn of events someone wants it back and didn’t download it…
On the other hand, people can simply miss stuff for a while.
There is (to me) an enormous amount of material here; I love browsing through “People” and finding all those little lost treasures from people who signed up, uploaded a few tracks and promptly vanished from sight.
Also: I know one review/rating I made a month late, simply because my phone rang just as I was about to review/rate after listening!

I have to admit I’m still adjusting to “Recommend!” and the big thumb thing- I got used to the 5-star system, and am not sure how to interpret the differences- is a glowing review w/ a thumb and a recommend the equivalent of a 5?
I understand the problems with the star system, and don’t want to resurrect old issues, but I’d like to know how “strong” the Recommend is- does it cover everything from “hey, this is kinda cool” to “listen to this RIGHT NOW in case you die tomorrow and miss the chance!”?
I just don’t want to be too generous or too stingy…
OK, You can beat me now- I didn’t check the forums well enough, I *think* I get it…
sylvain moreau
permalink   Mon, Jan 7, 2008 @ 4:46 AM
+to listen counter !
very important feature
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Jan 7, 2008 @ 9:42 AM
at www.negativesoundinstitute.com
even with some anti-bot safeguards, we still have to do some re-setting of the counters when we experience bots gone wild. So I’ll be interested to see how you solve the dilemma.

still, a counter for downloads would be cool. I can often tell when a mixter track gets more listens because it see an effect on other places I have work, but a more direct outlet would be fun, too.
shimoda
permalink   Fri, Apr 11, 2008 @ 8:27 AM
After searching the forums this topic answers a question I have. New to the site, and probably too concerned with what others think when it comes to remixing, especially new to this whole thing, the idea that duckett mentions above is important. I’ve posted samples and remixes and sometimes feel that if 5 remixes come in shortly after, that little link on the main page won’t be there and it’ll go for naught. Of course, there is probably too much ego involved, but just knowing that at least it was heard or attempted to be heard is important. Bot-programs are a real pain for something like this where as humans, we count on feedback to continue. I too, look into past mixes and across other means to find interesting stuff and have lots of great music I’ve downloaded to listen too. If this option ever becomes available, it’ll be a great addition to an already amazing site!
Ananth
permalink   Fri, Feb 11, 2011 @ 6:02 AM
Download/Listen counts are very basic features.

The topic has been discussed since 2007. It’s time we had these counters.
Platinum Butterfly
permalink   Tue, Nov 29, 2011 @ 11:27 PM
instead of making it public, there could be a feature in the personal account section where people can look for their statistics, this to prevent people from making it some kind of match, though it is very nice to see if your tracks are downloaded or played. Playing stats have only the negative side effect that people sometimes listen to a track 3 or 4 times, i do that often when i like somebody’s track, but that would mess up statistics from being realistic. Download counts are more reliable i think.
greetz Frank