Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Gear/Software comparison

Gear/Software comparison

duckett
permalink   Sat, Mar 31, 2007 @ 8:24 PM
howdy mixters-
thanks for the site and the feedback 1st of all- lovin what I hear here (hear,hear!)
I spent many hours doing my thing with an M1 and EZVision on my Mac LC and thought I was bangin, (psss…) but anyway the M1 and even EZVision had features I miss in my setup today (all kits pitch-bendable, select key velocity in piano roll and change by %). Any long-lost old-school gear you miss?
vo1k1
permalink   Mon, May 19, 2008 @ 6:49 AM
There was definitely a nice in-your-face crunchiness to the first Ensoniq Mirages that I had no idea that I would miss. You can definitely recreate the sound (bit reduction, heavy limiting, analog filter models, etc.), but I still miss them. *And*, a Mutron II - god, that thing was such an unpredictable piece - but what a sound.

permalink   duckett Mon, May 19, 2008 @ 1:38 PM
I know what you mean, my first synth was a small Casio w/ built in speakers, etc. but there was a certain fuzzy, tinny quality that I liked about it, the bells or strings especially.

permalink   vo1k1 Fri, May 30, 2008 @ 9:51 AM
So cool - I can go back - a virtual retro sampler (Mirage?!). And some talk about it here.

permalink   tacet Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:44 AM
The Mirage had analog filters like the ESQ1.

I was looking on eBay at some old Ensoniq and E-mu kit, but they still hold price here in the UK.

permalink   sheever Thu, Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:20 PM
I just bought my Emulator II+ 3-4 months ago.it was 500 pound.on Ebay much more.Museum piece.:)
Mirage the same thing

Have a look here:
http://www.soundonsound.com...

permalink   John Pazdan Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 11:13 AM
Mutron II

made everythang..fahnky

even me!
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, May 30, 2008 @ 9:43 PM
I must admit that my only legacy instrument 25 years ago was a chromaharp, and my electric autoharp is nearly as cool as it was back then.

permalink   John Pazdan Sat, May 31, 2008 @ 7:27 AM
we need to do a duet of melodica and electric autoharp..I’ll send you a few samples..umm…Rasta or Toots stylee?

permalink   gurdonark Sat, May 31, 2008 @ 2:07 PM
A duet would be great!

As a favor, could you send me a single note, a C or an A, say, played
in sustain on your melodica? A little wav flie would be great, 3 to 7 seconds of sustained one note!
Thanks! I always need synth samples, and little woodwind work well.

I’ll pull out my electric autoharp,and let’s see if we can’t have some fun.

permalink   John Pazdan Sat, May 31, 2008 @ 4:09 PM
will do..plus a few dub stylee things..maybe put them up on this thing called si! si! maxter I keep hearing about too..
tacet
permalink   Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 4:38 AM
Hey duckman, I just posted something in the DIY forum about this. You should pick up an M1 from eBay, join the retro-M1 club ;)

I used to own a Cheetah sampler, which was a kind of Akai for cheapskates lol :) 512KB RAM, loaded everything from FDD.

Maybe we should have a retro kit collab, where we’re only allowed to use kit which is more than 20 years old…urm, but I’m not giving up my broadband lol :D

permalink   duckett Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 10:29 AM
Hey tacet!
I wish I could… right now I can’t even afford to replace the memory battery in my now-zombified XV-5050 rack module, but when I’m more financially solvent, an M1 is definitely on the shopping list ;-)

permalink   tacet Sat, Sep 20, 2008 @ 1:58 PM
ok, so how about this for cool. I forgot to mention that in with the price came an Atari ST520 and the mono green screen. I have two floppy disks, one of which is the Korg M1 librarian and editor the other I haven’t even tried yet, but it appears to be some kind of patches disk for the M1.

Ooo it’s like lost treasure!

lol :D

So get the rack fixed and join the club ;)

permalink   sheever Thu, Nov 20, 2008 @ 4:27 PM
I wouldnt suggest those Cheetah.
I would suggest a Mirage,or EMU III.
EMU III the best sampler ever.very rare,may you can have a rack version.
I found just now IIIXP for 60 pound:D
I own my EMU II+(i am a huge DM fan since 85:D)so that was my wish.
Alan Wilder still use it EMU II and that filters just beat everything…(ah and 8 bit LO-FI!:D)