Branching Out Secret Mixter Sign Ups
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » 'REDUCE, REMIX, RECYCLE, REMIX' PROJECT

'REDUCE, REMIX, RECYCLE, REMIX' PROJECT

Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Dec 26, 2009 @ 10:45 PM
‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Remix’ Project
(yes, i’m a dork and posted this forum title with an error in it!)
Submission deadline EXTENDED to January 26, 2010

Introduction
:

Since 2004, spinningmerkaba and I have performed at the National Biodiesel Conference where farmers, truckers, scientists, businesses and activists converge to work on all things biodiesel. There are usually between 3 -5 thousand people in attendance and Melissa Etheridge, Daryl Hannah, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and Larry Hagman have attended conferences past - you can read the blog about past conferences here.

This year’s National Biodiesel Conference will be in Grapevine, TX from Feb 7-10 and we’ve been invited to give a collection of music to this year’s attendees with a focus on sustainability themed ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Remix’ — the conference is usually attended by farmers, truckers, scientists, businessmen, and activists from around the world.

How the Mixters can join in:

Contribute original pellas, spoken word, samples and mixes to the ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Remix’ project.

It may be cool if a group of pellas are in the same key (or relative keys) to make it simpler to mix multiple pellas in the same track. If you’re into it, use the key of A (major or minor) — since SackJo has a great song about sustainability in that key!

We imagine this project may go other places that are interested in sustainability, but first, the mixes submitted will be given as a gift to all the attendees of the National Biodiesel Conference. It is possible the songs will be gifted on a thumb drive.

Here are the rules:

A. All uploads must be Attribution only, so any samples you use should either be your own or attribution samples (i.e., CC-BY). Please do not use attribution non-commercial or sampling plus samples for this project, because although these songs are a donation, we do not want to worry with possible licensing issues.

B. All uploads should invoke a sense of sustainability around the ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Remix’ theme. A variety of musical styles is welcome.

C. Please tag your upload: ‘reduce reuse remix’ - this will help us find your upload.

D. Please write about how you made your song, and, if you wish, your thoughts on ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Remix’ and sustainability.

E. Focus on Pellas, Spoken Word & Samples: Dec 26 - Jan 6 (remixes also welcome)

G. Important: Deadline for mix upload: January 24, 2009

Each mixter included on the playlist and/or thumbdrive will get attribution.

Snowflake, spinningmerkaba, Sackjo22 and others are helping with this project. As with the White Cube project, we reserve the right to moderate the submissions, omit submissions off the mark (or, also, outside the rules). We hope to include as many mixes as possible.

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear what we create together!

~Snowflake

Here are submitted:

Pellas

Samples

Remixes
gurdonark
permalink   Mon, Dec 28, 2009 @ 5:38 AM
Great project! It will be fun!

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Dec 30, 2009 @ 10:22 AM
i am working on some long, sung tones in the key of A, based on your idea several months ago! we’ll see how it goes. of course, samples from you would make this project amazing!

permalink   gurdonark Sat, Jan 23, 2010 @ 6:51 PM
My goodness. Somehow I missed this response. I am sorry I did not get samples up for this one. This has been quite a first part of the year in my work. I’m working now, though, on my remix. What great samples! A great theme, too!

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Jan 23, 2010 @ 6:58 PM
I sooo understand. I haven’t had nearly enough time for music production, but here’s hoping tomorrow can be reserved for music!

permalink   gurdonark Sat, Jan 23, 2010 @ 7:03 PM
I must work on getting my laptop set up for more mobile music-making again :). That way even a business trip to Houston can’t stand in my way.

This has been a great day for me:
a morning in a nature preserve watching a patient hawk and active woodpeckers; an afternoon enjoing going out my wife to lunch and to Avatar, and now this evening doing my remix on this cool project.
Who could ask for more?

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Jan 23, 2010 @ 7:14 PM
sounds like bliss to me! btw, we just extended the deadline to Jan 26 so you have a couple of extra days! :D
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Mon, Dec 28, 2009 @ 1:13 PM
if someone writes and puts up a pella called “get yer soy boy” (along the lines of ms. vybe’s classic “get yer pellas fellas”), i vow to remix it.

yeah, cool project.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Dec 28, 2009 @ 2:07 PM
now that would be cool! :)
Pitx
permalink   Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
I’m trying to upload a sample in the Sustainability Pella, Sample, Remix submit form but it doesn’t work, or I am doing something wrong? (the upload button is inactive).

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 1:54 PM
Quote: PitxI’m trying to upload a sample in the Sustainability Pella, Sample, Remix submit form but it doesn’t work, or I am doing something wrong? (the upload button is inactive).

I just experienced the same thing, and I think I fixed it by creating separate upload forms.

Forgive me, I am still learning all there is to know about site. Thanks for your patience.
Admiral Bob
permalink   Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 1:13 PM
Is there a preferred BPM? Don’t know if I’ll have time, but it sure sounds like fun.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 1:55 PM
Good idea Bob. I did my track that I’m uploading at 118. SackJo’s is around 85BPM. You are such a great writer! Can’t wait to hear your stuff (if you have time)….
ScOmBer
permalink   Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 4:44 PM
A great project for the new year!
Think I’ll have to dig up a few songs I wrote about our buy it now pay later mentality, not sure about biodesiel though where land that once grew food now fuels bigger suv’s.
Love this place :-)

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Dec 29, 2009 @ 6:23 PM
Yes Scomber. This is why I feel it is important these folks hear songs about sustainability. Biodiesel can be made sustainably (from used veggie grease, blackwater sewage, some farming), but it could also go the wrong direction and I’d hate to see that happen.
morgantj
permalink   Wed, Dec 30, 2009 @ 6:00 AM
For anyone interested in a better understanding of SUSTAINABILITY, read this. I started working on my track for this project yesterday. Already spent 5 hours on it, but still more to do (fine tuning and detailing).

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Dec 30, 2009 @ 11:02 AM
thanks for the link morgan. i can’t wait to hear your track! your mixes are always great quality and substance.

permalink   morgantj Wed, Dec 30, 2009 @ 11:46 AM
Thanks Snowflake!
morgantj
permalink   Thu, Dec 31, 2009 @ 11:55 AM
Oh wow, look at that, Michael Shermer, is going to be a keynote speaker there. That’s cool.

permalink   morgantj Tue, Feb 2, 2010 @ 6:28 AM
Strange, they have now removed him from the list. I wonder if he is going to be speaking still.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Feb 2, 2010 @ 12:22 PM
I will ask…..
spectrakid
permalink   Fri, Jan 1, 2010 @ 3:17 AM
Am i completely out of it or was this posted on Dec 26 2009 with a due date of Jan 24 2009?

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Jan 1, 2010 @ 11:43 AM
Great catch! I’ve changed it to 2010. Thanks :)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 19, 2010 @ 7:59 PM
I’m listening to all of the mixes tonight and I am so inspired by all of you and ccMixter. The creativity contributed to this project is humbling. Thank you.

5 days left! :)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Feb 1, 2010 @ 9:07 PM
This project is really moving along and a special thanks to all of you for your amazing contributions.

We’ve been invited by the NBB’s Joe Jobe to present the songs from the ‘R4’ project in next week’s General Session. We will speak about the project, ccMixter and perform a couple of the songs live. More here.