Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » Snowflake's Holiday Project

Snowflake's Holiday Project

victor
permalink   Wed, Sep 9, 2009 @ 9:32 AM
Snowflake has got a righteous (and fun) project under way: she has collected many holiday themed a cappellas and is looking for appropriate remixes in order to put together an album that will be used to raised funds for Tibet as well as the artists (you).

More details about about the project is at this post: Peace Remixed.

Snowflake says: “The committee will need to select the final songs (for mastering) by Sept 23. Credits and any resulting revenues post fund raising will be shared amongst the contributors.”

I’ve put together a playlist of the a cappellas so you can preview/download easily:

Holiday Pell Playlist
Leza Boyland
permalink   Fri, Sep 11, 2009 @ 10:06 AM
Hi FS,

I will upload pella 14th if okay, re: winter solstice theme etc.. Pleas advise. L

permalink   Snowflake Fri, Sep 11, 2009 @ 3:30 PM
sounds good Leeza :D

permalink   victor Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
just go ahead and upload and I’ll put it into the playlist so people can find it.

permalink   Leza Boyland Mon, Sep 14, 2009 @ 5:29 AM
Hi FS & SF,

Just uploaded onto my ccmix page, couldn’t get it on the hols project as the upload button perm greyed out. Hope you like called “Winter Sunlight”.

permalink   victor Mon, Sep 14, 2009 @ 8:21 AM
you’re all good, that’s perfect!
SackJo22
admin
permalink   Fri, Sep 11, 2009 @ 1:26 PM
How about a playlist for all the remixes?
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Fri, Sep 11, 2009 @ 3:37 PM
Quote: fourstonesI’ve put together a playlist of the a cappellas so you can preview/download easily:

brad stanfield and periel marr ( here and here) just contributed pellas to their track Peace Around the world as well!

permalink   victor Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 11:00 AM
done

permalink   Down With Ben Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 6:30 AM
This is a great song. I just posted a remix of it. And for the first time, I composed the instrumentals, myself…
morgantj
permalink   Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 1:22 PM
How come my track submission to this project doesn’t also show up on the recent remixes list?

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 2:59 PM
I think it’s because that form didn’t auto assign the “remix” tag automatically. I’ve added that, so hopefully that should work now. And I’ll also have a look at some of the past submissions for the missing “remix” tag.

permalink   morgantj Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:06 PM
okay, thanks.

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:07 PM
looks like I can’t add the remix tag for you. Can you try adding “remix” to our list of tags in the Properties page for that song yourself? If that doesn’t work, we probably need VS to fix it.

permalink   morgantj Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:09 PM
just tried it, didn’t take.

permalink   spinmeister Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:20 PM
whoops my mistake - I’d tried to do it in the wrong place. Sorry about that.

Should be there now.

permalink   morgantj Sat, Sep 12, 2009 @ 3:23 PM
oh, yea it’s there. Thank you!

permalink   Snowflake Sun, Sep 13, 2009 @ 4:51 PM
wow. i am in love with your mix. it made me quite emotional - what a perfect addition to the project. thank you!

permalink   morgantj Sun, Sep 13, 2009 @ 5:57 PM
Glad you like it. You’re welcome.
victor
permalink   Sun, Sep 13, 2009 @ 12:21 PM
Oh, and here’s the

Holiday Remix Playlist

permalink   SackJo22 Sun, Sep 13, 2009 @ 2:02 PM
Victor — there are a slew of remixes of the holiday pells that do not appear on the playlist (I presume because they were not properly tagged or something). Let me know if you want my help collecting them.

permalink   victor Sun, Sep 13, 2009 @ 3:16 PM
if the slew includes pells that are from the ‘pell playlist then I could use a favor and have have you (or anyone) point them out and I will re-tag them which will automatically populate that playlist.

permalink   victor Mon, Sep 14, 2009 @ 8:35 AM
what a team - ok, I think I got them all. If I missed something, it’s because I’m passive aggressive.

permalink   SackJo22 Mon, Sep 14, 2009 @ 10:16 AM
More in:

Snowflake’s My Little Soldier via undrealdm
The Light via Audiotechnia (a bit intense for Christmas? maybe but pretty cool nonetheless)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Sep 16, 2009 @ 4:10 PM
looks like we will be able to extend the date to sept 30 and still get it mastered in time. the mixes so far are heart stirring indeed.

permalink   ScOmBer Wed, Sep 16, 2009 @ 9:02 PM
Thats good, Ive posted a pella today; more time to hopefully get a remix :-) Peace
Papa_Zulu
permalink   Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 3:35 PM
Its… ITS ALIVE!

My Doom Metal Ballad of “I Heard the Bells” is almost complete! I think I’ll call it “Broken Song of Peace” It kinda starts gloomy then happy then gloomy then happy etc. I’ll have to post a preview of some parts.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 4:49 PM
ehhmmm - I’d recommend just uploading your best final mix. At least in my case, I’m a pretty busy person, and don’t usually have enough time to listen to various stages of people’s work in progress. Hearing incomplete work always feels a little like someone has wasted my time. sorry :-(

permalink   Papa_Zulu Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 5:20 PM
Oops there was a separate upload thingy so I figured it would separate it somehow. Guess not. Deleted to avoid confusion.

permalink   spinmeister Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 5:46 PM
just to clarify: once you have uploaded your final remix, by all means feel free to also upload some or all of your original stems created for your remix. That is always appreciated and very cool, because it keeps the music conversation going (i.e. others can then use some of your stems for their remixes).

Looking forward to your work!

permalink   Papa_Zulu Fri, Sep 18, 2009 @ 7:10 PM
Thanks Spin will do!

permalink   Papa_Zulu Sun, Sep 20, 2009 @ 10:46 PM
Broken Song of Peace is tweaked and fired up. The middle part even sounds a little “Christmas-y” I was tempted to sub the cymbals for sleigh bells :o)

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 10:24 AM
your track is very impressive! thank you for sharing your incredible talents….
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 10:47 AM
NEW DEADLINE, MORE MIXES PLEASE!

We have one more week to submit mixes for the Holiday Album Project (Sept 29 is new deadline!). I am so grateful for all the beautiful art submitted so far.

I’d love to see a few more mixes of these acappellas:

Panu: http://ccmixter.org/files/p...
Brad Stanfield: http://ccmixter.org/files/b... & http://ccmixter.org/files/b...
MC Jack in the Box: http://ccmixter.org/files/m...

A cut with several pellas in one would be really cool (I may attempt this, but cutting, pitch-shifting and time stretching aren’t my forte!).

Thank you, thank you all!

permalink   Briareus Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 12:39 PM
Thanks for the extension. I’ve wanted to contribute, but I’ve been sidetracked lately… I’ll have something for you by the new deadline.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 12:55 PM
Awesome!!!! :D

permalink   wellman Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 12:56 PM
I would like to help more..but Im stock in my day job. Im really sorry.
But I know ur project will be succesful!

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 1:30 PM
your contribution is wonderful! :D

permalink   Papa_Zulu Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 4:00 PM
Hmm 7 days… I’ll try to whip something up, (don’t worry it won’t be another heavy tune hehe). I’m kinda hanging out for the next few days so I have some time.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 21, 2009 @ 4:07 PM
excellent :D

permalink   Papa_Zulu Thu, Oct 1, 2009 @ 1:16 AM
Crap I’m sorry, I’ve got “Hear the Angels Sing” with Panu, Narva and Lezatunes with a small chamber orchestra at about 70% but the pitch bending took longer than expected :(
Songboy3
permalink   Wed, Sep 23, 2009 @ 6:26 AM
Vic, I got your email about this project but my time has not been my own for the last few months (including a computer that likes to crash for no apparent reason! AARRGGHH!!) Anywho, I’m glad to see that the deadline has been extended so I promise to do my damndest to submit something for this project! It’s for a good cause and I must admit, you haven’t steered (?) me wrong yet! Peace & All That Goodness!!!

permalink   victor Wed, Sep 23, 2009 @ 6:29 AM
we’re all cool buddy - no worries, do what you can, but first: take care of what’s important.

permalink   Songboy3 Wed, Sep 23, 2009 @ 6:30 AM
You are DEFINITELY too cool for words, Mr Stone…EZ!

permalink   Songboy3 Fri, Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:50 AM
One more question: Can one submit a song that isn’t an original song but in the public domain (like ‘Little Drummer Boy’ or ‘Deck The Halls’) or are y’all interested in strictly original compositions?

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 28, 2009 @ 2:47 PM
yes! public domain tracks are encouraged! we’re supposed to submit the tracks to the producer tomorrow…
dangerous_objects
permalink   Sat, Sep 26, 2009 @ 8:13 PM
*Slaps remix down on table*

Well, I’m in

permalink   dangerous_objects Mon, Sep 28, 2009 @ 3:37 PM
Oh hey, I didn’t notice the request on another page to submit tracks as flacs. I have an uncompressed mixdown, of course - should I upload it or doesn’t it matter? Not sure what time in AU is the deadline for submission, and I’m at work now.

permalink   Snowflake Mon, Sep 28, 2009 @ 4:01 PM
hey there! yea, we’ve had some trouble getting .flac files. we’re working on the best way to handle it and will let you know ASAP! thanks so much :D
Frank
permalink   Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 5:27 AM
Hi, I’m not able to get the snowlake_holiday tag. And now it’s the 29th - my song is up and I hope it works. Thanks for the project! Frank

permalink   spinmeister Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:52 AM
tag added :-)

permalink   ditto ditto Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:17 AM
Hi, everyone
I’ve the same problem. I’d like to upload a last remix for this project..
How can i do..?

permalink   victor Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:22 AM
just upload and an admin with tag properly

permalink   ditto ditto Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:35 AM
Cool…Thanks..

permalink   TheJoe Tue, Sep 29, 2009 @ 1:03 PM
hello,

I also have this problem, after I decided to make though a contribution for this project with “One day”.
So, please, could be so kind and add the tag there?

Thanks and regards!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Sat, Oct 10, 2009 @ 5:46 PM
hey everyone….

the producer and label for the holiday album project are working on doing three separate digital album releases for this project because so many great mixes were submitted.

we will start getting permissions from the mixers for the first volume and then move forward from there. we hope to at least press the first volume as a physical cd too.

we will announce the tracks we’d love to include in volume one this week! thanks so much for everyone’s participation in this project!

more soon……

permalink   Songboy3 Mon, Oct 19, 2009 @ 5:52 AM
Now THAT’S what’s happening!
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Oct 21, 2009 @ 8:38 PM
sorry for the delay all! we’ve been so impressed with the quality and number of mixes you contributed to this holiday album. amazing. i’ve been listening to your tracks nearly non-stop for the past several weeks (my neighbors are sick of holiday music already!) and am blown away!

our goal is to press a CD of 14 tracks, and in that CD we plan to include a card giving the listener a URL where they can hear more great holiday music from all of you. we will keep you posted as the details develop more fully.

due to a high pressure mastering & manufacturing timeline, we’re working on the CD first and will then work in tandem on creating one or two Digital LPs (and other creative ways to share these great tracks)! because we have more time for the ‘digital only’ releases we’re accepting more remixes if you feel so inspired (maybe for the Secret Mixter)?

the 14 tracks we hope to include on the physical CD (working title ‘Peace of Winter’) are listed in the playlist I’ve created here.

as advised by magnatune, we’re kindly asking each submitting Mixter to get clearance from all the artists whose work was used in their track. we’d like to include a written blurb about each contributor (mixer, pellas, stems, etc.) to include in the liner notes. we should have a license soon posted for everyone as well.

at least 50% of proceeds from the CD are going to the nonprofit Free Tibet, headquartered in the UK. they are really a great group of folks working for an excellent cause.

thanks to all of you that have contributed to this project. it has been a lot more work than i expected, and there is much yet to do. but i am truly loving it and feeling so grateful to all of you for your time and talents!

please submit more remixes if you have time :)

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Oct 21, 2009 @ 9:30 PM
Absolutely fantastic! I am so glad I get to be a part of such a wonderful project. Thank you very much for getting this (snow)ball rolling, Snowflake. You are just way too cool.

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 11, 2009 @ 2:19 PM
we are getting closer with the Peace of Winter release. thanks to all of you for your help buttoning down the details. you guys rock!

our goal is to release Peace of Winter on 11/24.

we’re in the process of putting togther the Artbook and are excited about connecting the visual art community of Deviant Art with ccMixter. they embrace CC license too and we think it could be a powerful combination.

we’ve been working with artists at Deviant Art on ‘Peace of Winter’ with a call for art pieces to visually tie in with your musical creations. Check out some of my favorites here: http://snowflakesings.devia...

we’re still cooking up a handful of ways to use the many wonderful tracks that were submitted since we had to narrow it down to just 14 for the album. podcasts, blogs, playlists, and more are on our goals list. any other ideas are encouraged (and other participation highlighting the tracks is too!)

thank you again for your contributions to this proejct! i’m very excited about it and look forward to supporting Free Tibet.

somehow it gives me hope.

xxxxxxxxx

~snow
max_thehitman
permalink   Sun, Oct 25, 2009 @ 7:20 AM
I would just like to give out my enthusiastic applause to ALL who have been creating these superb songs and remixes. I have been listening to all of them and they are truly fantastic. Congratulations to all the Artists!
spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Fri, Nov 13, 2009 @ 10:26 AM
Check out the artwork collected so far for “Peace of Winter” at ArtisTech’s deviantart.com page. LezaTunes has picked out her favorite, Sinews of Zen which goes well with airtone’s mix featuring her a cappella. If you sit back and watch the slideshow while listening to Snowflake’s playlist, you’ll get a good feel for what she’s manifesting for this Winter’s release. Happy Holiday’s! I know, a bit premature, but, hey, we’ve been working on this since August ;)
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Thu, Nov 19, 2009 @ 10:44 PM
Hey all….in case you’d like to see a preview of the album cover and onesheet for Peace of Winter.

iTunes & TuneTrack release date 11/24 - I hope our music helps bring a bit more peace to the world, and a little help to Tibet.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Wed, Nov 25, 2009 @ 12:41 PM
We did it! Peace of Winter is now available ( iTunes, Jamendo, TuneTrack, LaLa, AmazonMP3)!

Thank you. All of you. I’ve written a long personal note about the project, the process and ccMixter HERE.

I hope you’ll check out the Peace of Winter digital-LP and see the beautiful art from Deviant Art that has been paired so perfectly with your music.

The message of this album is one of World Peace, and I believe our positive cooperation is an example of this. I am so honored we’re donating the proceeds to the Dalai Lama Foundation.

Thank you. I love this special thing we have here at ccMixter. May we learn and grow together.

Peace. On Earth. Goodwill. to All.

~ Snowflake

permalink   Snowflake Wed, Nov 25, 2009 @ 1:12 PM
P.S. Our distributor (Big Fish Media) is working on correcting an issue with songs 11 & 12 (Xmas Trees Aint getting Shorter & It Came Upon A Boogie Night) at all of the sites. Somehow the tag and track got swapped and they are working to correct it right away!

permalink   SackJo22 Wed, Nov 25, 2009 @ 3:21 PM
Congratulations to you and everybody involved in making this wonderful project come to fruition!