Branching Out Secret Mixter Remixes!
skip
Home » Forums » Features » hiding playlist racks

hiding playlist racks

MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 11:29 AM
so here’s one for you VS, although there’s certainly no sense of urgency here….

is it possible to include a “hidden” track in a playlist? meaning, is it possible for me to upload a track, “hide” it from the public listing of “uploads”, but still add it to a playlist?

you probably are thinking…”why would anyone want to do that?”. a couple years ago, we were exploring ideas for songfight radio shows, and i created a couple where i had a few short mp3 voiceovers of me (an intro to the show, maybe a half way blurb listing the previous/upcoming artists, and an outro, usually my show was 10 tracks). i think this might be a cool way to build buzz for the playlists if people can record their own radio shows featuring ccmixter uploads. then instead of creating a themed playlist like VS has been doing, i’d create a themed show, with me adding a few “hidden” voiceovers to the show. hell, i might even do a weekly “best of ccmixter” kind of show if that could happen. anyways, just thought it could be a cool new use of the playlist feature, and it could even include some of the ccmixter blurbs people have recorded and submitted. just an idea.
victor
permalink   Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 1:10 PM
maybe a dumb question (?) why do they have to be hidden?

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 1:32 PM
they don’t really. i just figured nobody would really want to do anything with me going “that was ditto ditto doing his fine little ditty histoire de rien”. but it’s not a problem if they are not hidden. i was just curious if i could hide them.

i just created the first “ Cool Tracks by MC Jack” radio show. thanks teru for the great intro. i may just use it every week.

permalink   victor Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 3:21 PM
I’m mainly concerned about how to present that to end users without confusing the heck out of them

meanwhile that show is brilliant. keep that up and I’ll put a sidebar menu section for “MC Jacks’ Radio Show” and give you a page for those

permalink   MC Jack in the Box Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 3:26 PM
sweet! thanks!

no worries about the hidden thing. i think you’re right, it would probably confuse people.

and i encourage others to make their own shows! i’m building a playlist of the various ccmixter plugs people made, so it will be easy to add them anytime without having to search for them.

permalink   victor Fri, Jun 27, 2008 @ 3:52 PM
I re-enabled the ‘site promo’ submit form so people should use that, that will auto-add the ‘site_promo’ tag