Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Features » Lyric Licensing?

Lyric Licensing?

Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Wed, Mar 14, 2007 @ 12:59 AM
I think a few of us put original songs with original lyrics out here. I’ve considered putting the lyrics out there on all my originals, and I was wondering about the idea of being able to cc license them. If I just say in the description, “the following lyrics are provided here under a BY-NC Creative Commons license” and make the license text a hyperlink to CC, does that “work”? Thanks.
tacet
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 5:03 PM
It’s certainly something I’ve thought about and maybe mentioned in the past. I’d imagine the words are covered as part of the license as they’re integral to the submission. This does need clarification though, and it would be cool if we could add the lyric text, and if the attribute+text was inherited in some way by remixes.
victor
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 5:13 PM
questions about license usage should be asked at the lists mentioned here
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 5:48 PM
I read through this stuff more on the CC site, and I intend to include the following for By-NC on lyrics I post with my a capella original songs:

“The lyrics below are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/... or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.”

And then include they lyrics. I think this should make it clear that I’m licensing both the recording and the lyrics themselves. Thanks for the pointer Victor and for the comments Tacet.

UPDATE: For completeness, here is the text I intend to use for By:

“The following lyrics are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/... or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.”
victor
permalink   Fri, Mar 16, 2007 @ 7:03 PM
heh, ok, let me be as clear as I can about this one: soliciting legal advice (leave alone following it) on a remix site’s forums about what constitutes legally binding licensing of materials on the site, but outside the bounds of the normal operations of the site (i.e. operations not forseen and not approved by CC lawyers) is a Big Mistake. Please.

permalink   Ran Dumb Dots...... .. . Mon, Mar 19, 2007 @ 3:48 AM
Thanks Victor. I guess my question is (not asking for legal advice as much as it is…) should CC licensing of lyrics be in bounds on ccM? The pells are one of the strengths of the site, and lyrics are integral them. When I sang back-up vocals behind Lisa on Cuckoo, I may have violated her copyright on the lyrics (not on the use of her licensed recording but by making my own recordng with some of her lyrics and posting it publicly).

Concerns about that are not why I asked about this, though. My motive is….this is the only place anywhere that I have my songs other than my computer, and I just want to share the lyrics the same as I’m sharing the recordings. I’ll hold off on doing anything until I hear from the legal experts, but after reading through the cc site (including content from the lawyers) I’m pretty confident this is an effective way to CC license the lyrics. Honestly though, if there are really cans of worms from this, just say the word, and I’ll just forget it. I have no desire to create a problem for anyone regarding this - just trying to share as described above.
tacet
permalink   Sat, Mar 17, 2007 @ 4:57 PM
I’ve posted the questions we have on the mailing list, I’ll post the response here from the legal Eagles :)

permalink   Ran Dumb Dots...... .. . Mon, Mar 19, 2007 @ 3:49 AM
Thanks a lot for looking deeper into this.