Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Remix Competitions - I'd like your opinion!

Remix Competitions - I'd like your opinion!

frikk
permalink   Fri, Dec 22, 2006 @ 11:29 PM
I’d like to get an opinion from the community of ccMixter. I came up with an idea to create a project based around remixes from Creative Commons music material. This is ironic since I was unaware of ccMixter and the wonderful and talented people who compose music with publicly available music.

I’ve seen the remix competitions that ccMixter puts on, and they seem to be very interesting and definitely popular.

My question is this: Would you support or participate with a website devoted solely to remix competitions where the voting takes place by the community itself?
frikk
permalink   Fri, Dec 22, 2006 @ 11:31 PM
Just a quick note: this wouldn’t be a competitor of ccMixter. I’d hope that the two projects would complement each other quite well.
gurdonark
permalink   Sat, Dec 23, 2006 @ 1:25 AM
I like remix contests because they are fun, and they offer exposure to new samples. I am less interested in a voting process, becuase communities have a way of creating an aesthetic that can be confining. It’s more fun to have some kind of judge, as that involves less bumping up against peoples’ preconceptions. With a judge or judges, one accepts that such preconceptions also apply, but it’s less “confrontational” than a group critique.

Whichever way you go, I wish you the best with your new project.
victor
permalink   Sat, Dec 23, 2006 @ 1:37 AM
remixfight is a great site, lots of fun, pretty much what you’re describing
frikk
permalink   Sat, Dec 23, 2006 @ 7:48 PM
thank you both for the response. I’ll check out remix fight.

I agree with what you’re saying about preconceptions - thats very true. Thats a good point I hadn’t thought of.