Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » Sample Packs?

Sample Packs?

teru
permalink   Tue, Aug 1, 2006 @ 1:45 AM
The samples are so good lately. I was thinking of making some more sample packs but so far the packs don’t seem to be used much.

Does anybody have any suggestions or requests in regards to improving the sample packs? Please answer quickly, I want to get started on them. : )
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Thu, Aug 3, 2006 @ 2:38 AM
The packs are cool man - good to hear you’re going to put more out there. In terms of usage, I think a few things are in play:
- the features are new, and many people haven’t gotten around to checking out the packs yet (Victor might be able to tell you the listen-to-usage ratio compared to other samples)
- it’s summertime (when in doubt blame the season or the weather ;)
- the packs are not very up-front, there aren’t many of them out there, & the ones that are out there are quite limited compared to commercially available packs - couple points on this: 1) maybe, once there is a critical mass, it would make sense to provide a front page link to packs, 2) ideally, as Luke says, it would be cool to be able to quickly find & audition 50, 100, or more of a sound type (e.g. kick drum) via streaming, and then download the HQ sample you liked the best —- Freesound search, sample streaming, and download functions used together actually meet this need pretty well, but (even with the awesome sample search improvements) ccM is not set as well as Freesound for quickly trying out a bunch of sounds in a category & picking the one you like best - people appropriately bundle stuff into zips, so it’s a download-before-you-listen process, and this isn’t time efficient - it would really help to enable a way to listen to items in a zipped pack before downloading (sorry, this should probably be moved to features forum) - anyway, my 2 cents…… .. .

permalink   teru Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 1:21 PM
Damn weather. ; )

Really good points.

Admin - Maybe ccM could implement a size restriction where small MP3 format packs could be uploaded without zipping so they can be previewed before downloading?

permalink   victor Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 5:11 PM
I’ve been meaning to try unzipping on the server so that in the sample browser you could preview the individual items — there are other priorities right now but we’ll see if I can even get that much to work.

permalink   Ran Dumb Dots...... .. . Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 7:27 PM
would another way to partly address this be to have a multi-file uploader as part of manage files, and then allow all .mp3 files uploaded under a single post on the site to be streamable? - right now extra files are download only even if they’re .mp3….so then you could easily upload a dozen .mp3 sax samples (or half a dozen loops in a pack) within a single container and all the samples would be individually streamable without download….even if they also uploaded a zip of wavs, the storage redundancy would only be ~10%, right….do flacs stream - we’re definitely in the features forum now - sorry ;)

permalink   victor Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 5:16 PM
please note that ccM will never be as proficient at sample hosting and browsing as Freesound - or at least it isn’t a prime directive of the site to be the best source of samples on the web. Just the best remixes ;)

just fyi the purpose of the sample packs is to highlight what is on ccM and make it a little easier to find great samples and get going on a remix - not really competing with either commercial sample packs (per se) or freesound (at all).

permalink   Ran Dumb Dots...... .. . Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 5:22 PM
yep, understood - I guess I was sort of responding to and extrapolating from Luke’s request, thinking others may desire the same - if there was something like Freesound that used the same cc licenses as ccM (esp By), now that would be just the thing - any word on expanding to more license diversity on their site?

permalink   victor Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 5:25 PM
re: by on freesound

I’ve heard rumors and begged and pleaded myself so we’ll see.
Luke Tripp
permalink   Wed, Aug 2, 2006 @ 1:34 PM
I don’t know how easy it would be to do. But on the drum packs, what if the snare, kick, hat, etc. were all seperate from each other. That way we could combine kicks from one, with hats of another? Or something along those lines?

permalink   teru Wed, Aug 2, 2006 @ 9:38 PM
Thanks. I’ll try that. It may be nice to have one pack like that. : )
gurdonark
permalink   Fri, Aug 4, 2006 @ 4:12 PM
I like 15 to 30 second melody or drone tracks, for use in conversion into whatever you call what I call music. I may do a series of them, but it would be fun to hear other sample packs of them.

permalink   teru Sat, Aug 5, 2006 @ 9:20 PM
Yeah you definately should do one. : )