Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » entering my remix in the Diesel U Music contest

entering my remix in the Diesel U Music contest

conoley ospovat
permalink   Tue, Jun 6, 2006 @ 5:31 PM
Hi,

I’m having a bit of trouble understanding the Creative Commons legal ins and outs…

I submitted a remix for the Crammed contest. I have read that I am now free:

“to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work and to make derivative works under the following conditions:

Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.

Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the
license terms of this work.
Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.”

Finding all of this a bit confusing, I checked out the legal code.
More confusion.

I would like to submit my remix to the Diesel U Music contest. Does this qualify as “to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work and to make derivative works?”

If so, what do I need to do to “attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor” and “to make clear to others the license terms of this work?”

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
MC Jack in the Box
permalink   Thu, Jun 8, 2006 @ 3:37 PM
interesting that there is a creative commons licence mention on this page:

http://www.diesel-u-music.c...
teru
permalink   Tue, Jun 6, 2006 @ 5:57 PM
It’s always a good idea to ask the source, regardless of license, I think. They would also be able to tell you how they would like to be attributed.

In this case I would think the technical answer is no. Non-commercial means parts of this music cannot be used to promote Diesel/Sony/Billboard unless given permission from the rights holder.

I am not a lawyer though. Just a guy who thought about entering the same contest w/ the same question. : )

permalink   conoley ospovat Wed, Jun 7, 2006 @ 4:01 PM
Thanks, Teru. I’ll see what I can do to get in touch with the source.

c