Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » DIY » Do I need to invest in bass sounds or better learn to use what I got?

Do I need to invest in bass sounds or better learn to use what I got?

Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 12:12 PM
Hey,

My primary app is FL. I typically use samples, FL Studio Boo Bass, FL Studi0 Slayer, or FL Studio Sytrus presets for bass parts, and I rarely get the sound I want. What I’m looking for is something that sounds “right” pretty much out of the box (little tweaking/processing required), and I generally just need the usual variety of electric bass sounds.
Question for people more experienced: Will it make a big difference to invest in something like Slayer2 or (probably more likely) do I just need to learn how to use what I already have better (i.e. learn more compression, EQ, filter, etc. techniques). One thing I haven’t looked into too much is soundfonts - is that a good way to go for bass? Right now, I can get some OK sounds, but they somehow lack the richness I hear on other people’s tracks. Thanks….. .. .
Luke Tripp
permalink   Wed, Jun 14, 2006 @ 3:51 PM
I’m with teru on the most frequently bass I use. Definetly the FL Hip-hop Bass selections. Sometimes I’ll go with a Soundfount in combination with FL, but it’s mostly just FL.

permalink   Ran Dumb Dots...... .. . Sun, Jun 25, 2006 @ 3:28 AM
Hey Luke…sorry I didn’t reply before…Thx for the advice - I’m still comparing all of the above suggestions - I like the FL sounds you guys recommended (I had mainly used boo bass before), and I also found some some good bass soundfonts. One free vst sound module I found at kvr that I really like for good “plug and play” sounds is Plugsound Free - I think it’s a great set of sounds, including a couple usable basses….. .. .
Ran Dumb Dots...... .. .
permalink   Tue, Jun 6, 2006 @ 1:56 AM
thanks…I checked out a couple soundfonts tonight, and I’m really liking the quality - I think I heard once they don’t sound as good as “real” sample instruments, but they sound pretty damn good to me - I have a feeling I’m going to be mining the sf2 sites (which seem to be a little flaky - at least the ones I’ve found - but bless them for serving up the goods)…and teru, thx for sharing your bass sound “secrets” :) - I’ll check out those sounds out for sure….. .. .
teru
permalink   Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 11:58 PM
: )

My 2c.(as always)

I still like the FL stock bass sounds.

I use the FL HIP bass from the Hip-Hop drum pack A LOT. Sometimes the STR_Prick_d#1 from the Strings pack, mostly for rock type stuff. Slayer fretless for anything electronic or techno-ish.

I hardly ever use BooBass or Sytrus(only because I’m lazy).

The one thing I miss is a good wood bass or acoustic bass. Victor has used some really nice ones in the past. He’s the master of soundfonts. Especially anything with strings.
victor
permalink   Mon, Jun 5, 2006 @ 1:36 PM
I am a HUGE fan of sound fonts and highly recommend investigating that angle. I think the sf player is now part of basic FL install so start browsing the web for bass fonts — there are some great ones out there.