Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Announcements » ccMixter Design Contest

ccMixter Design Contest

spinningmerkaba
admin
permalink   Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 11:15 AM
ccMixter is upgrading the site’s look and functionality with an open call for Wordpress template designs on Freelancer.

This means that if you got the skills—you could win $1000 for your design if it’s chosen.

Read more and submit your designs on the Freelancer contest page.

airtone
permalink   Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 1:12 PM
Hi, is it possible for you to email me the details or does it need to be through the site?

permalink   Snowflake Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 5:12 PM
We emailed you the details :)
Darkroom
permalink   Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 6:41 PM
This is exciting. I will miss the old format but do think it is time for change.

permalink   Apoxode Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 10:03 PM
I feel the same way in the sense that I’m used to how it is now, but wouldn’t mind some additions.
I agree, this is exciting!

permalink   Speck Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 4:20 AM
Exciting? Or scary. I mean, I’ll try to keep an open mind but in my experience change for the sake of change rarely results in improvement.

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 4:14 PM
That’s an excellent point. If someone just wants to shake things up, well, we know how bad that can get.

I think what’s happening is that this will make the site more malleable for the admins.
Improvements could be implemented as needed, as well as squashing bugs as they’re discovered.
I think that most of the improvements were not possible before because of how the site was originally designed.
This might be a step forward in making music production more user friendly.

permalink   Speck Sat, Jun 11, 2022 @ 4:50 AM
“I think that most of the improvements were not possible before because of how the site was originally designed.”

Ah, I hadn’t thought of that possibility.

fwiw - The only improvements I’d really like to see are a dark mode option and whatever it takes to get that !Not Secure warning off the url window.

And maybe undo that very recent change that replaced the page numbers at the bottom of an artists page with a forward and backward button. I occasionally like to go through my uploads and delete the ones that nobody (including me) cares about/for. (I’ve deleted over three hundred uploads so far.) I could always remember where I left off because the pages were numbered. Now I can’t. An example of a change that’s not an improvement. (Though admittedly I’m probably the only person that change affected. Or that even noticed it.)

Anyway, whatever happens I’m sure (pretty sure) I’ll adapt.

permalink   Darkroom Sat, Jun 11, 2022 @ 11:00 AM
The not secure message is because the site needs an SSL cert and is still only using http instead of https.

Wow Speck, over 300 deletions is massive. You should leave them. I have gone through some of your historical songs before quite a few times. Plus, sometimes people will use them for social media sites but not comment or like them on your page.

I agree that I will also move forward with whatever design is implemented. I am assuming slightly more traffic would be good which is why the redesign is being done.

permalink   Speck Sat, Jun 11, 2022 @ 11:33 AM
Yeah, I don’t delete anything that’s linked anywhere or anything that has ‘samples are used in’. And a couple other qualifiers. I do rather enjoy cleaning house though.

I believe it was Martin Mull who said “I write anywhere from ten to twenty songs a day. Of course, not all of them are keepers.”

permalink   Darkroom Sat, Jun 11, 2022 @ 11:47 AM
I know what you mean though. There was a period where the site visits were very low back in 2007 I think, so I was getting around 0 to 5 recommends per track which was mind bogglingly low. I would work on a song for weeks and submit thinking “best song I have made yet” and the people commenting were saying how great it was, but still barely any likes. I have gone back and forth before on whether I should remove those but decided to keep almost all of them.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jun 13, 2022 @ 9:22 AM
Yep, Apoxode is right. The site is getting a complete redesign and rebuild because it runs on outdated code. That SSL issue is not fixable without this major update. That weird recent change has to do with broken CSS and we’re not sure how to fix it yet. The new site will fix all of that.

The good thing about the frontend / user interface part of the redesign is that all of us love and have deep affection for this site. We don’t want to change what we all love about it. Sure, it will look different and more modern, but we aim to keep the functionality very similar.

A dark mode option is a great idea!

permalink   martinsea Sun, Jun 26, 2022 @ 2:02 AM
Hi Speck, I also miss the numbered pages. but quick workaround, just change the offset number in the browser address. For example say,you’re at

http://beta.ccmixter.org/pe...

next page offset =120, just keep adding 40
( on the regular site the offset is 12)
And please don t delete your trax !
best, Martin

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Jun 14, 2022 @ 10:17 AM
I understand your skepticism! We don’t want to change what is working, we just have so many issues with the old code losing compatibility with other functions (like the newly broken CSS) that this update can’t be avoided. So we’ll work to keep things as much the same as we’re able, while still streamlining and improving functionality. It is going to be a long journey, and we appreciate everyone’s patience and support!
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Thu, Jun 9, 2022 @ 10:04 PM
I’m really looking forward to this!
I wish I knew code, I’d have a go at it :)

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jun 13, 2022 @ 9:23 AM
I wish I knew code, too!

Thanks for all of your comments and support, Apoxode.
Radioontheshelf
permalink   Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 4:01 AM
Will advertising become part of the new look.

I know it’s a contentious subject but I for one believe that if Creative Commons allows it than it should be considered

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 4:20 PM
Quote: RadioontheshelfWill advertising become part of the new look.

I know it’s a contentious subject but I for one believe that if Creative Commons allows it than it should be considered

Radioontheshelf,

Some might call it contentious, I think it’s always worth considering.
Ads help cover operational costs, and the admins could only allow ones that were relevant/useful.

That’s a good point you raise about if Creative Commons would allow it.
Do you think because of the non-commercial licenses of images/audio, that it would violate those terms?

Kind regards,
Apoxode

permalink   Speck Sat, Jun 11, 2022 @ 5:03 AM
I think this subject has come up before. I seem to recall it being stated that it’s not possible. Or desired.

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Jun 14, 2022 @ 10:16 AM
While income from ads would be very helpful to cover costs we’re hesitant to implement them, though it might be considered on a subdomain site like dig.ccmixter.org where our inner community would be less impacted. We’ll keep you posted!
mo´zart
permalink   Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 7:57 AM
Quote: spinningmerkabaccMixter is upgrading the site’s look and functionality with an open call for Wordpress template designs on Freelancer.
This means that if you got the skills—you could win $1000 for your design if it’s chosen.

Well. But you know, that are only images and pictures. A Wordpress Site is hard to maintain. The Music Post Type, Anti-Malware etce!
I really hope this site does not get hacked and so on.

permalink   Apoxode Fri, Jun 10, 2022 @ 4:03 PM
Quote: flexbarkerccMixter is upgrading the site’s look and functionality with an open call for Wordpress template designs on Freelancer.

Well. But you know, that are only images and pictures. A Wordpress Site is hard to maintain. The Music Post Type, Anti-Malware etce!
I really hope this site does not get hacked and so on.

flexbarker,

These are legitimate points of concern.
What is your advice to make a Wordpress site easier to maintain?
Also, when you say “this site,” do you mean Wordpress itself, or the page we’re creating?

Kind regards,
Apoxode
septahelix
permalink   Sun, Jun 12, 2022 @ 6:16 PM
I’d like bigger avatars.

permalink   Kara Square Mon, Jun 13, 2022 @ 9:24 AM
That would be cool!

permalink   Snowflake Tue, Jun 14, 2022 @ 10:18 AM
We’d love this! Could be challenging as the current images are only 93x93 - so folks who haven’t visited for a while would stand out with outdated images. input is welcome on this!

permalink   Apoxode Tue, Jun 14, 2022 @ 1:01 PM
As a test, I looked at some of the current avatars in a separate tab and gradually increased their size.
At 200% they looked fine.
It wasn’t until after 300% that the image artifacts started to make it glitchy, but even at 500% they might still be tolerable.
My point being that if the avatar size remained a perfect square for dimensions, an automatic, temporary size increase could be implemented by the site until users updated their profile image.
I think 186x186 would be a fantastic size increase.
septahelix
permalink   Tue, Jul 5, 2022 @ 9:34 PM
we could also have something that displays how many times a track has been listened to not just recommended.

also I think a ccmixter android app is long overdue

permalink   septahelix Fri, Jul 15, 2022 @ 12:52 AM
I also think there should be a play stat that displays how many times the song has been listened to by other people like soundcloud has