Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » Help » Mutual recursion, whoops

Mutual recursion, whoops

fluffy
permalink   Tue, Jan 28, 2020 @ 2:44 AM
So, I updated one of my songs to include the album version and its stems. The album version had an addition that was inspired by (but not actually containing samples from) the remix by Martijn de Boer.

So, since the remix fed back into the originating song, I decided to add that remix as one of the remix sources of the original, and, well, that ended up very silly.

It might be a good idea for remix charts to be able to bail out if they come across a mix that’s already been listed (even without mutual recursion, this helps with things like a remix of multiple remixes of a base song maybe?).

Anyway, I tried removing it as a remix source but unfortunately doing that caused the editor to disable the “done editing” button, because I guess once something is seen as a remix there’s no way to undo its remixness?

Anyway, sorry about this mess.
Snowflake
admin
permalink   Tue, Jan 28, 2020 @ 9:30 AM
Man, I’ve never seen a funky remix tree like that before! That isn’t the way it normally functions. I’d need to try to recreate something similarly to try to find the bug, but I’d say, it is definitely an outlier.

Are there no other tracks used as source material in your track? If not, then it would just be a sample, not a remix, and thus a remix tree isn’t relevant. Since you didn’t actually use Martjin’s parts, you could add his name to the “featured” field and add a link to his file in the properties section of the song description.

permalink   fluffy Tue, Jan 28, 2020 @ 10:26 AM
I’m not sure “featured” is really relevant since none of his performance or recording went into the final version, or even the notes he chose; I was just inspired to get over an arrangement hurdle by something he did in his remix.