Create a Track with the New Songbirds Lyric Library at MixterPlus
skip
Home » Forums » Pluggy Plugs » Will stems for this be appropriate for ccM?

Will stems for this be appropriate for ccM?

Ivan Chew
permalink   Sun, Jul 15, 2018 @ 9:50 AM
Wanted to post this under Help but might potentially be misunderstood as a pluggy plug, so asking here instead:

Will stems from this be appropriate for ccM?

https://m.soundcloud.com/ramblinglibrarian/stairway-to-heaven-tribute-metal-guitar-instrumental

The first part sounds original/ generic enough but second part is somewhat identifiable. I think it can be argued it’s not a blatant rights infringement but I don’t want to cause any problem for ccM admin/ owner with any legal claims. Or waste time generating stems that might be taken down.

TIA for any advice or opinions.
Apoxode
admin
permalink   Wed, Jul 18, 2018 @ 11:44 AM
I think this is a valid question for site rules/licensing, so I don’t think it is self-promotional, as the example you provide is entirely valid.

To the best of my knowledge, a cover is considered derivative, and requires a license. Because of the amount that is played and the way it is performed, you can’t argue fair use/parody here, in the sense that you would be uploading it as yours (original sample) and claiming a license for it.

The quality of the performance is amazing, though, and if it weren’t for the cover part, I’d otherwise say break it up into stems and upload them.

permalink   Ivan Chew Fri, Jul 20, 2018 @ 12:28 AM
Actually, you just gave me an idea. I could exclude the very obvious parts. Then break the stems and upload individually without pointing to the cover (or semi-cover, really). Hmm, why didn’t I think of that in the first place?

Thanks for the thoughts.