Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » bored

bored

kthugha
permalink   Fri, Jun 22, 2018 @ 9:48 PM
I understand I’m a bit of an eccentric. However, it seems to me that eccentric types are marginalized here. There is some really great, unusual, music produced by ccmixters. But the editors picks are pretty… vanilla. There is some great music on this site that doesn’t get highlighted because it doesn’t appeal to a populist enough taste (editorializing, but feels true to me). i sense i’m late to the party, as my favorite artists have stopped posting more and more (or at all) (where are colab, porchcat, et al?). I’m less and less interested these days in the music highlighted here. i love the idea of this community, but i’m not sure i’m a part of it anymore.
Speck
permalink   Sun, Jun 24, 2018 @ 7:48 AM
I agree. To a point. I don’t care too much what’s highlighted, I know what I like. And if you don’t want the ‘eccentrics’ to go away how about showing them some support? You mentioned PorchCat. Of his last fifteen uploads you’ve recommended exactly zero. I have about 500 uploads, never been accused of being vanilla, one recommend from you and that’s probably only because you’re in it.

Are you really more complaining about there not being enough people here making music in your favorite genre? That’s a completely legitimate observation. I wish there more too, but I hope you don’t go away because of it, that would only make less. I like what you do. I also hope you’ll realize a broader meaning to being “a part of it”.

permalink   Ivan Chew Wed, Jun 27, 2018 @ 1:43 AM
to a very considered response, Speck.

I’ve always treated the Ed Picks as what the individual editors enjoy. They do have good tastes in music, but that doesn’t necessarily mean those not EdPicked are any less “good”.