Branching Out Secret Mixter
skip
Home » Forums » The Big OT » CCMixter for studios and labels -some issues here

CCMixter for studios and labels -some issues here

stellarartwars
permalink   Fri, Feb 5, 2016 @ 4:18 AM
We’re limited in uploads at the moment which is fair enough because we are indeed bandwidth and sever hogs.

But we’re a production company (not for profit) as opposed to a band in the true sense that has up to 10 musicians involved. Bandcamp has some features for labels and production teams, maybe we need this here.

The other issue raised again is that of re-uploading a capellas if there has been some serious fiddling. For example with freeform non-clocked vocals/raps and poetry cut to fit a beat or time-stretched, pitch shifted or otherwise edited.

So just some thoughts here.
stellarartwars
permalink   Fri, Feb 12, 2016 @ 1:54 AM
I’m still not sure if we’re exceeding a data quota or a submission quota here. What I’m starting to do now is load the stems on archive org, leaving our ccmixter account for pellas and mixes only.

permalink   Snowflake Sat, Feb 13, 2016 @ 7:53 AM
One thing we’ve thought of is a premium account, like on Vimeo for example, which could lift the throttle and help us cover additional bandwidth and storage costs for those who upload in large quantities. It isn’t something we can build so easily, but wondering, would you pay for something like that? Thanks for your patience.

permalink   stellarartwars Sun, Feb 14, 2016 @ 12:18 AM
Quote: snowflakeOne thing we’ve thought of is a premium account, like on Vimeo for example, which could lift the throttle and help us cover additional bandwidth and storage costs for those who upload in large quantities. It isn’t something we can build so easily, but wondering, would you pay for something like that? Thanks for your patience.

I think the answer’s a yes for that one, and I think there’s quite a few others who’d pay more for extra bandwidth. So worth thinking about.
victor
permalink   Sun, Feb 14, 2016 @ 12:36 PM
my personal feelings: taking money from musicians for hosting entire catalogues is not something we’ve ever done and would change the entire nature of the site.

the model that’s been very successful and that sets up apart from bandcamp and every other music site on the web is that here we remix each other through the sample pool.

reposting other people’s pells is a confusing practice at best that seriously messes with the attribution tree. has anybody asked you for this type of thing?

we have a hard enough time getting vocalists to upload dry a cappellas (!)

permalink   stellarartwars Mon, Feb 15, 2016 @ 2:38 AM
I see your point, and it’s a brave stand when there is so much ripping off of musicians online.

So the solution we’ve come up with at the moment is to use archive.org for stems (all properly attributed) and jams and upload just pellas and finished mixes here.

When uploading material from here on other sites we try us hard as possible to ensure the licensing is correct, so for example our material at Jamendo is opted out of all commercial schemes, and other download sites have the correct cc licence tagged.